Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There you go again. You can try as hard as possible to minimize the situation but each battle makes Arizona defenders look more and more pathetic. I suppose you will try to minimize the fact that every large city in California and some fairly small cities have condemned Arizona. Add to that list: Boston, Austin, Boulder, St. Paul, El Paso, Las Cruces, Milwaukee, WashingtonDC, Seattle, Hartford, Columbus, Ohio, etc. Even Arizona cities are angry with their own state: Flagstaff and others. Add to that scores of organizations.

Arizona has a black eye and there is no way you can try to cover that up!
Every poll I have seen has at least 65% of the American public in support of the Arizona bill.

Just because politicians are "condemning" Arizona means nothing, a poll of Californians showed 50% support the bill.

One CBS News poll showed 57% support it and 17% think it didn't go far enough while only 23% thought it went too far.

Doesn't look like a black eye to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Most people that tried to enter legally could not, so they HAD to come here illegally. Think, if any of you or your families were starving or could not find work, and all that separated you from a job was an imaginary line, wouldn't YOU jump that border too?
Someone needs money to feed the family. There is only a counter between them and the cash register at the gas station. I think they'll just take the money.

Does that sound right? It seems to be what you are saying since both are breaking the law.

There are 10's of millions that came here legally. We shouldn't make it easy to come here and if someone is here illegally they need to be removed.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Someone needs money to feed the family. There is only a counter between them and the cash register at the gas station. I think they'll just take the money.

Does that sound right? It seems to be what you are saying since both are breaking the law.

There are 10's of millions that came here legally. We shouldn't make it easy to come here and if someone is here illegally they need to be removed.
The difference would be that the immigrant is willing to do hours of very hard labor that no one else is willing to do. Immigrants are not stealing anything. If they could come legally, they would. Every illegal immigrant I know works so much at the dairies and at farms. It's insane how much they work. Without them we'd be bust. I would not equate them to thieves.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

That's a bit of a stretch, don't ya think?

trespassing ≠ armed robbery

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
Quote:
The difference would be that the immigrant is willing to do hours of very hard labor that no one else is willing to do. Immigrants are not stealing anything. If they could come legally, they would. Every illegal immigrant I know works so much at the dairies and at farms. It's insane how much they work. Without them we'd be bust. I would not equate them to thieves.
No without them there would be LESS unemployment. If they did not come here and those jobs those same jobs they are taking for less money would pay more money to legal citizens. If the job is that undesirable the pay will increase to attract people to perform that job. Illegals helping our country by taking a job for less when there are millions of Americans unemployed right now is a rather stupid assessment. Those businesses paying illegals $2 an hour are only paying that little because they know they can get illegals to do it for that little. Without illegals they would have to raise the pay and more legal citizens would do the job.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-26-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Know what happens if all the ILLEGAL aliens are gone and businesses can not find anyone to do the work? They have to raise the pay until someone will do it. Many ILLEGAL aliens work for less than minimum wage because the owners of the businesses can get away with it. Without ILLEGALS they will have to pay minimum wage.

ILLEGAL aliens are stealing work from legal U.S. residents and they are here ILLEGALLY.

ILLEGAL aliens also account for a huge percentage of the crimes in certain areas and 30% of the U.S. prison populations costing taxpayers Billions of dollars each year.

We would not bust without them and just because you do not equate them to thieves does not mean they are not ILLEGAL.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's a bit of a stretch, don't ya think?

trespassing ≠ armed robbery
If we turn a blind eye to one law why not another?

And it is not too much of a stretch when you look at FBI stats for some cities like Phoenix where 83% of arrest warrants for murder are for illegal aliens.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's your opinion. It reminds me of how conservatives claim it's only the "liberal media" when they are criticized. The funny thing is that only one news sources is not considered liberal [Fox News] but all the other networks and big city newspapers are the enemy.

Right now Arizona has a horrible reputation for a variety of reasons and comedians exploit it for humor. To be the butt of countless jokes isn't something to be taken lightly. I can not think of any state that has as much negative attention.
This seems like some pretty good attention.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...60-503544.html

Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The fact is that law enforcement officials in various places have already been doing the kind of checks of illegal aliens anyway, at the local level. For example, the DC area also has a significant illegal immigrant population (believe it or not) and all the crime problems associated with it. Some of the counties in the area have begun cracking down, resulting in illegals moving around from one county to another. The AZ law simply makes it across an entire state for the first time.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Initially AZ will get a bad reputation for this new law, but over time more and more people will realize that it's necessary. From what I understand, people who don't live in the border states really do not understand how severe the problem has gotten.

There is federal program to identify illegals called Secure Communities...it's really more potent and has the potential to be more effective, but hasn't received as much attention as the AZ law...Forsyth will check immigration status (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jul/27/forsyth-will-check-immigration-status/news-nation-world/ - broken link)

Honestly something must be done about the illegal immigration problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.