Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

If the only issue causing controversy was the Arizona immigration law then I don't think most people would view the state too poorly. But there have been several really dumb laws and actions that have been racial. When Arizona lost the super bowl because they refused to recognize Martin Luther King that was a signal that there are people there who in-fact are racists. It wasn't an accident that Bill Maher identified Arizona as the most stupid state in America. And a concert will be held in Los Angeles next week where Rage Against the Machine, Chris Rock, Nine Inch Nail and Ry Cooder are performing free to support anti-Arizona organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:07 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
or do they already have a bad rap, you got Sheriff Joe who is tough on crime, you got the new AZ immigration law and now you got a militia group guarding the border. I bet people thought a Southern state would do this first. Will people start to view AZ as they do the South, as in that negative perceptioin?
I personally think Sheriff Arpaio has done a great job, but their new law just rubs me the wrong way. Illegal immigration needs to be dealt with, but I know I wouldn't want to step foot in Arizona if I were Hispanic.

BTW, I don't see how the South could have any more of a bad reputation than any other part of the country.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I personally think Sheriff Arpaio has done a great job, but their new law just rubs me the wrong way. Illegal immigration needs to be dealt with, but I know I wouldn't want to step foot in Arizona if I were Hispanic.

BTW, I don't see how the South could have any more of a bad reputation than any other part of the country.
Why does it rub you the wrong way? Again, it is a mirror of the federal law (only the federal law is stricter), so in essence you are saying that the federal law rubs you the wrong way. If AZ is getting a bad reputation because of SB1070, it is because people are ignorant about immigration law and the federal government is a big fat FAIL in regards to enacting its own laws, but I suppose that's OK for Washington since what happens in AZ stays in AZ and AZ should "fix it's own problems", but "we'll interfere if it comes to losing some of our future votes". In addition, there may have been many illegals move from AZ, but I really haven't noticed any difference here and whatever hype the liberal media is trying to create certainly seems much different than what we experience here on a daily basis, which seems to be that things haven't really changed since before SB1070 was created.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:18 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
If the only issue causing controversy was the Arizona immigration law then I don't think most people would view the state too poorly. But there have been several really dumb laws and actions that have been racial. When Arizona lost the super bowl because they refused to recognize Martin Luther King that was a signal that there are people there who in-fact are racists. It wasn't an accident that Bill Maher identified Arizona as the most stupid state in America. And a concert will be held in Los Angeles next week where Rage Against the Machine, Chris Rock, Nine Inch Nail and Ry Cooder are performing free to support anti-Arizona organizations.
Arizona limiting ethnic studies in public schools was to forbid elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and I thinking you agree that promoting resentment of other racial groups is not a good thing, right? Let Bill Maher talk his trash. For every one Bill Maher, there are 5 American citizens who support AZ. As far as "celebrities" are concerned, well, this is just publicity for them, and we'll remember when they ask for support at the ticket or box offices.

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-18-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM

40 posts, read 82,420 times
The bill has nothng to do with racial profiling, some of you really need to do some research and stop listening to the whinny babies on the boob tube! It basically says, if you get stopped for a violation of any sort that you will have to show your visa/green card/naturalization papers...whatever you want to call it. It is no different than a person that was born here having to show there Id/drivers license. Having proof of who you are is the law ANYWAY!!!!! The law is a no-brainer to me.
As far as the job issue.....you can suck it Brody! If illlegals weren't here working for less than minimum wage typically (and then sending lots of there earning to Mexico btw) then there would still be more decent paying jobs for the common working American citizen!! Try working at a Western Union and see the over-welming # of times this is done on a daily basis! Besides, as far as Arizona goes it is not so much the job issue. It is the extremely high crime that is created by the numerous latino gangs and unlawful immigrants. Enough is enough no matter what state it is.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

well I think everyone knows that the South has a bad reputation for being racist and having lots of problems, the reputation for the Midwest,West and the NE, is not negative. Its a stereotype, but Im sure most people thought that a Southern state would do this before a Western state would.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Arizona limiting ethnic studies in public schools was to forbid elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and I thinking you agree that promoting resentment of other racial groups is not a good thing, right? Let Bill Maher talk his trash. For every one Bill Maher, there are 5 American citizens who support AZ. As far as "celebrities" are concerned, well, this is just publicity for them, and we'll remember when they ask for support at the ticket or box offices.

the celebs have got to be the worst people to listen to, most of them are wacko in the first place, fame really screws up alot of people, anyways, I support what AZ is doing, its not a good thing, but it has to be done.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
well I think everyone knows that the South has a bad reputation for being racist and having lots of problems, the reputation for the Midwest,West and the NE, is not negative. Its a stereotype, but Im sure most people thought that a Southern state would do this before a Western state would.
Arizona is a southern state? It's right next to California.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM

291 posts, read 752,451 times
My ancestors have been in Arizona for over 15,000 years and it is offensive when I see white recent transplants with a strong feel of entitlement single me out for not being pasty white.

It is racism plain and simple.

Arizona has been hijacked by extremist alien white christian fundamentalist.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Arizona is a southern state? It's right next to California.

technically it is a Southern state cause it is located in the Southern part of the USA, but you mis-understood what I was saying, I said that Im sure most people thought that a Southern state like AL,MS,GA would have a law like this before AZ which is a western state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.