Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times

Advertisements

^ Very true, and most natives, including myself, feel that same way. It's usually the out-of-towners for some reason who want to argue that our opinions are invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ Very true, and most natives, including myself, feel that same way. It's usually the out-of-towners for some reason who want to argue that our opinions are invalid.
Then you should argue with the US Census Bureau, because to them Maryland and Delaware are Southern and I agree:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Divisions.PNG

Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
^ That's cool, but i disagree

Many other Organizations disagree too

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Then you should argue with the US Census Bureau, because to them Maryland and Delaware are Southern and I agree:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Divisions.PNG
The CB uses the historical pre-Civil War classification for Maryland/Delaware/DC being Southern (Mason-Dixon, Mizzou Compromise etc.). Nearly all other government departments and agencies, as well as private organizations classify these states in Northeast or Mid-Altantic regions. In addition to the FBI and LOC regions I posted above, other agencies that include Maryland, Delaware and/or DC in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic include the FRA, FTA, FAA, USGS, USFWS, NOAA, EPA, Amtrak, and DOE. Private organizations such as US News, the Boy Scouts, AAA, Princeton Review etc. do as well. Of course the majority of residents think of themselves as Northerners as well. (UNC-CH surveys reveal where the ‘real’ South lies).

Anyway this is like beating a dead horse, and whether Maryland is North or South is almost irrelevant here since dividing the country into just N,S,E,W regions is totally ambigous.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
How about the following division of States designations: 1. New England, 2. Northeast (NY/PA/NJ/MD/DE-minus New England), 3. South Atlantic Coast (Va to FL), 4. Midwest, 5. South Central (Apalachian & east of Mississippi), 6. Plains (Dakotas to Texas), 7. Mountains, 8. Desert (AZ/NM/NV/UT), 9. Pacific (Coast & Ocean). This way we can have 9 winners rather than just a measly 4!! Do I hear any bids for more winners/divisions? Any bids for 10? 11? 12? 18? 24?

My choices: 1. New England-Mass., 2. Northeast-NY, 3. South Atlantic-North Carolina, 4. Midwest-tie, Minn. & Wisc. (MY RULE Minn. will be with Midwest), 5. South Central-Tenn., 6. Plains-Missouri, 7. Mountains-Colorado, 8. Desert-New Mexico, 9. Pacific-they're all good ??Hawaii?? EXTRA state>> TEXAS you're TOO BIG; you go in 3 or 4 divisions. What are we going to do with you?? Just joking Texas; we all like you.
Yes, this sounds a bit more interesting. Making a general "East" category is a bit silly, as people have been including everything from Pennsylvania to Florida.

1. New England - Maine. I've never been to northern New England (Only been to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but lower New England is inferior in my honest opinion, and Maine seems to personify the best of the North.

2. Northeast - New York (But NOT for NYC - Upstate NY - The Finger Lakes, the Catskills, the Adirondacks, Seneca Falls, etc. I can't stand the city). Pennsylvania is overrated/too big for offering so little. Delaware and Maryland are too bland (especially Delaware), and I live in New Jersey, so I see all its flaws.

3. South Atlantic Coast - Florida. It might be a bit overrated, but it just offers so much, from the Everglades, to the Keys, to St. Augustine, great beaches, the amusement parks in central Florida, the beauty of Boca Raton, and growing cities such as Tampa.

4. Midwest - Michigan (Despite the presence of Detroit). The Dakotas are underrated.

5. South-Central - Louisiana, with a respectable nod to Tennessee

6. Plains - Montana, easily

(I think I'm going to combine 7 & 8 as there's no need to really divide it)

7. Southwest - Arizona

8. Pacific - Oregon, very underrated/beautiful. I would take Washington/Oregon any day over California.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM

61 posts, read 128,492 times
North : Maine

East : Virgina

South : The Carolinas ( Florida is beautiful but to many hurricanes )

West : Arizona ( California is beautiful but the taxes there are getting ridiculous and so is the politics , that's why I left )

Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
North - Minnesota
East - Wisconsin
West - South Dakota
South - Iowa

Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
EAST:

Virginia
possibly Pennsylvania

SOUTH:

Tennesee
North Carolina
Georgia

MIDWEST:

Wisconsin
Minnesota
Indiana

WEST:

Colorado
Utah

NOTICE:

California, Arizona and Florida didnt make the list.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
North: Massachusetts

East: Pennsylvania

South: North Carolina

West: California

And as for the more specific version:

1. New England - Mass., 2. Northeast - Pennsylvania, 3. South Atlantic - North Carolina, 4. Midwest - Michigan, 5. South Central - Tennessee (Assuming Louisiana doesn't count), 6. Plains - Oklahoma, 7. Mountains - Colorado, 8. Desert - Nevada, 9. Pacific - California

Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 778 times
North: New York
South: Georgia
West: California
East: Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.