Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
My parents took the hillbilly highway to Michigan in 1966 for work. My first few weeks in high school was the first time I was ever aware that I had an accent. I was totally surprised at the concept. Even after living in Michigan for 16 years, when I went for my first trip to Philadelphia by car with a friend, I was in charge of making the food. I made tea the way I knew it was supposed to be made-with a lot of sugar. She nearly threw up on the windshield when I gave her some tea. Living in Philadelphia for longer than I would like to admit, I live in a black neighborhood, and so there is a lot of the south around me here. The corner grocery store actually carries hominy. When I go back to WV, and the train rolls through the hills, and I see mist coming down the mountainside, I don't know how to express how I feel. I don't know if at my age I will make it back there to live, but in 3 weeks I make my annual trip to see my granny, who will be 100 in 8 months.

About half of Michigan is descended from people who came north for jobs on that hillbilly highway. Funny how things have been reversed, now people leave here by the tens of thousands to retrace thier grandparents tracks back south for jobs. I hear lots of people from Tenessee, Georgia and the Carolinas complaining about people from Mi, Oh, Ill moving south but in reality they may be thier second and third cousins coming home after a 2 generation absence. Michigan once a boomstate like modern Arizona, is now returning to what it once was, a low population agricultural state. Even after the last car factory shuts down, the corn will always grow good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I only work with at least a dozen ex-Southerners.
Oh I was being facetious. There's an old saying around here. You can take the boy out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the boy. It was that that I was alluding to. Of course there are people who have relocated. Simply having some fun.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I only work with at least a dozen ex-Southerners.

Exactly. Many southerners move to the "big cities" of NYC, Chicago, and LA. Many people I knew growing up in Manhattan were from the south.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 PM

14 posts, read 49,880 times
I moved from Louisiana to Chicago two years ago and love it here! I could see myself moving out west but never back south.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
There's no such thing as an ex-southerner.
I dunno. Of the ex-southerners that I work with or am casual friends with, they might have personal reasons for leaving, but they all have made impressions that they will not be going back except to visit family. To each their own though...I also know some friends who moved down to Florida.

People move from north to south for their reasons, and just the same people move from south to north. There's no "right" direction. Just because there's 3 people moving south for ever 2 moving north doesn't draw a strict line in the sand.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
I like it here. I miss the South at times, it's home and always will be, but I'm very happy to be where I am right now and don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I wouldn't rule out a return south when I'm older, though.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
From the south to the upper midwest, never been happier!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I prefer it up north, do not wish I was back. I go to visit though. I certainly never considered myself a southerner, possibly a Floridian though.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I grew up in the South and left after college. I landed in New Jersey for grad school and much to my surprise, I loved it. I've been here 6 years now, and have no desire to go back. In fact, if I move anywhere it might be farther north to New England!

Visiting relatives in the south is fun, and I have a good time when I'm there, but every time I go I come away realizing, "this place just isn't for me anymore."
Same i love NJ I actually have family in New Jersey but my question to you is what part of the south did you co
E from and motivated you to move back to the north bruh I’m trying to move back to New York I can’t stand the south.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I was born in the South and lived for 15 years in Maryland. I hated it.

So glad to be back home in Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.