Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be most ideal for me?
Tucson (U of A) 2 11.11%
Los Angeles (Keck School of Med) 1 5.56%
Sacramento (UC-Davis) 2 11.11%
Denver/Aurora (U of CO) 0 0%
Gainesville (U of F) 0 0%
Tampa (USF) 1 5.56%
Miami (U of Miami) 3 16.67%
Albuquerque (U of NM) 1 5.56%
Portland (Oregon Health and Sciences) 2 11.11%
Charleston (Med. U of SC) 0 0%
Houston (Baylor/Methodist/UT) 5 27.78%
Lubbock (Texas Tech) 0 0%
San Antonio (UT Health Sciences) 1 5.56%
Temple (Texas A&M) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM

461 posts, read 861,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny Scraper View Post
I already tried to get him to focus on Boston & Houston. But he doesn't prefer the weather of Boston. Plus it wasn't even one of his school choices, which I don't understand why.
Everyone says Boston for medicine + Indian people. But like the poster below said, I don't want to go to Boston for its cold weather! Cold dreary weather is depressing...that is why I am not too keen on Portland/Seattle.

Another program is University of New Mexico - Albuquerque!

The only bad thing is that it is in Albuquerque! I don't know much about the town...but the outdoor hiking is supposed to be great and the weather...temperate..

Any ideas/comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poophead View Post
Everyone says Boston for medicine + Indian people. But like the poster below said, I don't want to go to Boston for its cold weather! Cold dreary weather is depressing...that is why I am not too keen on Portland/Seattle.

Another program is University of New Mexico - Albuquerque!

The only bad thing is that it is in Albuquerque! I don't know much about the town...but the outdoor hiking is supposed to be great and the weather...temperate..

Any ideas/comments?
Albuquerque & Tucson are beautiful. In my opinion, they literally are. And yes you can go hiking, I saw the scenery of Albuquerque but never been hiking there before but I have been hiking in Tucson & Phoenix. So it's similar, and yes it's a good experience.

But both Albuquerque and Tucson have a relatively tiny Indian population. Out of your choices a few posts ago, Miami & Houston are the largest cities. Houston has the Indian people, Miami does too but smaller amount. Miami is perfect for nightlife and clubbing and beach life to the max, Houston for good living options, diverse crowd of people, bigger city with larger job markets, easier on taxes and better for schooling. Medicine has a strong presence in Houston, it is by 2012 supposed to become the largest employer.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 AM

461 posts, read 861,223 times
Default Fair assessment?

Thanks for all the awesome comments!

So I have boiled it down further I believe!
UA - Tucson
UF - Gainesville
USF - Tampa
UMiami - Miami
UNM - Albuquerque
UT - Houston
UT - San Antonio

I was going to rank these on my criteria:

- University/med school/primary teaching hospital = All make the cut!

- Warm weather/mild winter = All make the cut! Except ABQ which probably has
milder weather (which I am so OK with)

- Decent Size = Houston and Tampa are #1

- Indian girls = Houston most likely has the biggest potential

- Geography = USF/beach, UA/mountains and desert, ABQ/mountains and desert

I have a fascination with the west coast (though I have never been) and I feel like I will be able to make it to the west coast easier if I lived in Tucson.

Of course, I will need to be accepted for interviews at all these universities and matching into the residency is another story....but it would be nice to think about these things in advance.

Such a hard decision!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.