Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Someday i'm going to buy a motorcycle or a jeep and i'm going to drive all the way to Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Funny to me that this old thread has been bumped cause I've been thinking about this for the past couple weeks. I would either plan out 5 or 6 cities that I will explore in the US over a 2-year period, or I will just pick up and go with a starting point and a rough outline. If I'm not feeling a particular area then I'll just move on to the next stop as soon as I can. Keep some flexibility...and I'd imagine end up hitting ten or more cities in 2 years.

I don't plan to do this immediately but given my situation it is quite plausible. Just depends how badly I want to do this, I suppose, cause at the same time I have several other potential life paths/passions that would prohibit me from following through.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
While we're dreaming/hypothesizing, I've had quite a few friends (I guess they were mostly in the same industry so not that coincidental) who worked on the road every Mon-Thu/Fri depending on the job. Their company would fly them anywhere in the Continental US* at the end of the week and fly them to the next client or site location at the start of the following week. Yet they all just carried on with their normal lives living in their respective cities. The one guy who would have taken full advantage of this, unfortunately, did not get an offer. But I know he, like I, would have flown to a different city every weekend to visit friends or just explore somewhere new all alone.

With no homebase (no rent or mortgage payment) there'd be no issue paying for a hotel 3 nights a week. Or I could keep all my things at my parents' house and visit them every once in awhile. I think that would be fun for a year or two.

*I'm sure there were some concrete restrictions, but as it was explained to me it it only had to be within reason.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Default Wanderlust!

My friend and I were talking about this recently. We've lived in So Cal all our lives, and granted family and other obligations keep us tethered, but now that we're "almost" 100 percent empty nesters, we find ourselves wondering "what's out there?" What's it like to live in Colorado? Or Washington? etc.
Hubby and I recently had a visit to New Orleans for the first time, (absolutely loved every minute!) and had a chance to spend a few days in Cajun Country. I told him, let's live in Breaux Bridge and then spend the weekend in NOLA every few months!

Oh! I'd also love to experience living in or around Boston for a while! Here in California you have to travel quite a distance to get to another state. In the Northeast seems like a ton of interesting weekend getaways close to home.

Another place I'd love to live for a while would be the Upper Peninsula! Soooo beautiful! Soooo remote! The week we visited wasn't nearly enough time!

Of course, like most folks we gotta work... hubby is in IT, so theoretically we could move to a city that has a lot of IT jobs like Seattle, (would not mind a bit!) we've even flirted for five minutes of my husband finding out if he could transfer to Belgium where his company has an office! I told him we could visit his family in England (more often than every 7 years!) and Paris is only a few hours away!! We could take the train and visit lots of cities on weekends and on our vacation time! Yikes! Sounds good, but man that would be a big move and talk about culture shock! LOL!

But yeah, if there was a magic wand where I could make myself young again with no kids (I wouldn't want to be doing this with kids!) and lots of money or an interesting job that would require me to live in various places I think I would do it... at least for a while, and then settle into the place I liked best!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 AM

103 posts, read 274,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
I would. It would be so fun to move around and really get involved in several cities.
Of course, eventually as I got older Id want to settle..but even then...who knows.
Same here.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 AM

64 posts, read 193,032 times
Wow.

You guys must really hate jury duty!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I would, but every 2 years. Just as I would become comfortable, it'd be time to leave. But my hired help, hehe, would be doing all of the leg work for sure! They'd get hefty bonuses for Christmas, I promise.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Yes, most definitely! I agree with grapico though in that I would have a home base. After I pay off my small home in Philly I'll be able to keep it as a homebase and travel freely without having wasted expenses.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Yes I have often thought that would be fun but there are only 5 or 6 places where I would like to settle for a while.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

107 posts, read 113,292 times
Abso frickin lutely! I'm hoping in the next couple of years I'll be able to take Loonnnnggg road trips to different states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.