Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM

89 posts, read 156,639 times

Advertisements

I've basically been doing that ever since I moved out at eighteen. I've lived in seven states and fourteen cities, and I'm only twenty. My established residency is in New York State, so when I vote, I have to go to New York, but I don't bother getting new ID, residency, etc whenever I move to a new place. Too much of a hassle, and New York is the place I will fall back on if something happens and I can't travel any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
While we're dreaming/hypothesizing, I've had quite a few friends (I guess they were mostly in the same industry so not that coincidental) who worked on the road every Mon-Thu/Fri depending on the job. Their company would fly them anywhere in the Continental US* at the end of the week and fly them to the next client or site location at the start of the following week. Yet they all just carried on with their normal lives living in their respective cities. The one guy who would have taken full advantage of this, unfortunately, did not get an offer. But I know he, like I, would have flown to a different city every weekend to visit friends or just explore somewhere new all alone.

With no homebase (no rent or mortgage payment) there'd be no issue paying for a hotel 3 nights a week. Or I could keep all my things at my parents' house and visit them every once in awhile. I think that would be fun for a year or two.

*I'm sure there were some concrete restrictions, but as it was explained to me it it only had to be within reason.
Heh... I know all about that. I was *lured* into a job before where I was supposed to do training clients and end users as part of my job, flying into UK, DC, and Silicon Valley about once a month for 2 weeks at a time to a different place. They ended up sending somebody who HATED traveling, who ended up quitting b/c it was messing up their family life. I was a single 27 year old male... Hello! Send me you buffoons. The person who hired me was eventually fired, and I quit the job in about 8 months. They put me in a so called "better" position and needed me to stay at the office. The travel options was the ONLY reason I took the freaking job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Of course, like most folks we gotta work... hubby is in IT, so theoretically we could move to a city that has a lot of IT jobs like Seattle, (would not mind a bit!) we've even flirted for five minutes of my husband finding out if he could transfer to Belgium where his company has an office! I told him we could visit his family in England (more often than every 7 years!) and Paris is only a few hours away!! We could take the train and visit lots of cities on weekends and on our vacation time! Yikes! Sounds good, but man that would be a big move and talk about culture shock! LOL!
I would take that offer in a minute and never look back. You'd probably have a bigger culture shock moving to "cajun country" than moving to Belgium. Belgium is awesome itself, no need for paris/uk as a benefit to make the move. The food and beer is better in Belgium and the cities are cleaner. Belgium is haute cuisine central, globally. Beer is best in the world. Leuven, Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp are all amazing cities.

Last edited by grapico; 07-03-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdiscfan View Post
I've basically been doing that ever since I moved out at eighteen. I've lived in seven states and fourteen cities, and I'm only twenty. My established residency is in New York State, so when I vote, I have to go to New York, but I don't bother getting new ID, residency, etc whenever I move to a new place. Too much of a hassle, and New York is the place I will fall back on if something happens and I can't travel any more.
That's not really " living there" you're averaging like 50 days per city, that is visiting.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM

274 posts, read 470,371 times
No, I'm happy with Tupelo, Miss, my hometown.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Even if I had a ton of money I don't think I would do that. I would pick out a place to be my "home base" and I would travel extensively, but I don't think I'd want to actually move that often. I'd rather just take extended visits and have a home to come back to when I was tired of travelling.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM

536 posts, read 830,008 times
I did this from birth. Parents were divorced, and my dad stayed put in one city, but my mom moved a ton. So I spent part of the year with mom and saw new places and then part with dad which was like coming home.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Even if I had a ton of money I don't think I would do that. I would pick out a place to be my "home base" and I would travel extensively, but I don't think I'd want to actually move that often. I'd rather just take extended visits and have a home to come back to when I was tired of travelling.
I agree. I'm the kind of person who likes to travel extensively but think of only one place as my true home.

It is much more pyschologically satisfying that way, not to mention more financially sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.