Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,181 times

Advertisements

I've been in Austin for 14 years and have recently felt like it is time to move on. However, I don't know where to go! Any help you could give me about cities that would be a good match would be greatly appreciated.

I would really like to live somewhere that is naturally beautiful, with lots of parks and places to hike and camp nearby. The winters will need to be mild, since I'm from Texas and winter is sort-of mysterious (and a little terrifying) to me. I would prefer somewhere that is liberal. Other things that are important are art museums, a good dance scene, low crime, and nice/diverse restaurants. I'm starting a career as a social worker/therapist, so I will need to be somewhere that can support that. Probably most places are better than Austin in that respect, since the market here is super-saturated with social workers, counselors and psychologists.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,839,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissonwetglass View Post
I've been in Austin for 14 years and have recently felt like it is time to move on. However, I don't know where to go! Any help you could give me about cities that would be a good match would be greatly appreciated.

I would really like to live somewhere that is naturally beautiful, with lots of parks and places to hike and camp nearby. The winters will need to be mild, since I'm from Texas and winter is sort-of mysterious (and a little terrifying) to me. I would prefer somewhere that is liberal. Other things that are important are art museums, a good dance scene, low crime, and nice/diverse restaurants. I'm starting a career as a social worker/therapist, so I will need to be somewhere that can support that. Probably most places are better than Austin in that respect, since the market here is super-saturated with social workers, counselors and psychologists.

Thanks!
I'm guessing that you're already familiar with cities in Texas...

You might enjoy the Research Triangle of North Carolina, namely Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, with Duke, UNC and NCS universities nearby ( although this might represent more competition)...

Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,779,083 times
Why don't you throw out some bait for jobs and see which cities bite. This is the most important thing right now

Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM

36 posts, read 107,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Why don't you throw out some bait for jobs and see which cities bite. This is the most important thing right now

I absolutely agree with this statement. However, I think it's also important to first narrow down the field by personal preference.

I currently live in ATX and I'm planning on moving very soon. Based on weather, personality, beauty and general likeness to Austin, I narrowed my search to liberal cities in the SE. I am currently applying to jobs in the following cities:

Nashville, TN
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Louisville, KY
Raleigh, NC
Carrboro, NC
Chapel Hill, NC
Durham, NC
Asheville, NC
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Athens, GA

Note: I spent some time pondering New Orleans and Portland (the usual suspects for Austin relocatees) and decided against both for personal reasons. However, they both remain in my heart.

Any way, I hope that you find the list helpful. I really can't say too much about any of them b/c I don't have an insiders perspective, but I'm sure that some other city-data folk do...

You may find it helpful to look at my posts. I got some great responses from our peers.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,371,780 times
Depends on your budget. SF, San Diego, etc. meet your criterea, but I don't know how much you intend to make.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,354,243 times
Quote:
Nashville, TN
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Louisville, KY
Raleigh, NC
Carrboro, NC
Chapel Hill, NC
Durham, NC
Asheville, NC
Wilmington, NC
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Athens, GA

Those cities are hardly "liberal." Maybe they are by southern standards, but up north those cities would be considered moderate to conservative. Some of them (Chattanooga, Wilmington) are very conservative.

You're not going to find what you want in the south. I suggest Hawaii. Honolulu seems to have what you're looking for.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM

36 posts, read 107,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Those cities are hardly "liberal." Maybe they are by southern standards, but up north those cities would be considered moderate to conservative. Some of them (Chattanooga, Wilmington) are very conservative.

You're not going to find what you want in the south. I suggest Hawaii. Honolulu seems to have what you're looking for.

I would like to hear more about your suggestion because it's one that I don't see very often.

I just spent some time looking up lists of the most liberal cities in the US. No, I did not find any of the cities that I listed. However, I did not find a list that included Austin either (or Portland or NOLA for that matter). This surprised me because I live in Austin and I consider it to be very liberal. Perhaps I use the word "liberal" in a less political sense. I personally prefer cities with pockets of eccentricity and free-thinking. I look at the people rather than the legislation because they don't always line up. Often, some of best places to find pockets of people with progressive attitudes are right amidst conservative areas. Austin is often referred to as an "oasis" because it is a sanctuary for liberal-minded folk. That doesn't mean it's safe from Texas politics or law. I have heard that Savannah and Carrboro (number 1 and 2 on my personal list) represent those types of pockets.

"Liberal" aside, Chattanooga and Asheville are like meccas for outdoor recreation, and Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington are breathtakingly beautiful in their own way.

Before I ramble on for too long and take focus off of the original post, I just want to say that my list was based more on the personality/flavor of an area as opposed to the politics/legislation. I cannot, however, speak for the original poster. Perhaps he/she can clarify...

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,978,095 times
Chattanooga,TN
Raleigh,NC
Ashville,NC
Tucson,AZ

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,757,498 times
Sacramento, CA perhaps.
It has nice parks, it has wonderful location, and it has mild winters.

It's also more affordable than most CA cities. You'd also be in between SF and Lake Tahoe if that's considered a plus to you. Lake Tahoe is absolutely beautiful, so natural beauty is no shortage in the whole Sacramento area in general.

Sac town actually reminds me of Austin a bit.
I've never been to Austin, but they have a lot of similarities from the few things I do know about Austin.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,720,974 times
Portland or Seattle seem like a good fit.

Denver's winters are actually pretty mild and most of the time snow melts away pretty quick so that might be another option, plus the city itself is pretty liberal in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.