Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people in northern virginia have an southern accent?
Yes of course every place has it's own accents 31 56.36%
kind of 8 14.55%
No they sound like any other northerner 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 12,754 times

Advertisements

<H1 class=subject> <H1 class=subject>

Since Virginia is southern I'm assuming even the northern side has an accent even if not thick as the southern part I was wondering because in some movies and shows the setting will be northern virginia and there just sound normal like any other northerner
</H1></H1>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:58 PM

46 posts, read 158,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THePlaza View Post
<H1 class=subject> <H1 class=subject>

Since Virginia is southern I'm assuming even the northern side has an accent even if not thick as the southern part I was wondering because in some movies and shows the setting will be northern virginia and there just sound normal like any other northerner
</H1></H1>

Yes and No. Yes you do hear accents in the northwestern region like from Winchester to Front Royal. But its more of a twang I never drop my "R"'s. Now the real northern Virginia (Fairfax, Loudoun, Arlington, Alexandria, PWC County) not really. But all those counties have had a crazy population increase over the last 20 years or so. You will find people from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, England, West Africa, El Salvador, Honduras, ect you get my drift. Not to mention allot of people who live in northeastern VA are northeast transplants, kind of ironic don't ya think?

The accents in Virginia/West Virginia differ greatly depending where you at.

Look at how they talk in Tangier Island

or in Central/Southern VA

Welcome to my zone

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
Virgil Goode is a crazy extreme example of that accent. The entire state comprises of one half with some kind of accent and the other with no discernable accent. I live in the Shenandoah Valley and work in Charlottesville, and yes there are accents in varying degrees, but it's not nearly as widespread as some think or hope it is. Blame it on whatever you want. I can't explain it. A good example is my mom who has no accent, while her sister does have a very noticeable one. Both have lived here their whole lives. In fact, growing up, I didn't really notice many southern accents. I knew what they sounded like from hearing them on tv. I use to make the statement that VA was too far south to have a northern accent and too far north to have a southern one. I still believe that to an extent because of there being lifelong residents with and without accents. We're in the middle where it gets mixed together.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Virgil Goode is a crazy extreme example of that accent. The entire state comprises of one half with some kind of accent and the other with no discernable accent. I live in the Shenandoah Valley and work in Charlottesville, and yes there are accents in varying degrees, but it's not nearly as widespread as some think or hope it is. Blame it on whatever you want. I can't explain it. A good example is my mom who has no accent, while her sister does have a very noticeable one. Both have lived here their whole lives. In fact, growing up, I didn't really notice many southern accents. I knew what they sounded like from hearing them on tv. I use to make the statement that VA was too far south to have a northern accent and too far north to have a southern one. I still believe that to an extent because of there being lifelong residents with and without accents. We're in the middle where it gets mixed together.
Virgil goode is a good example of what you would hear in Danville or Emporia though. I mean I know were the mid-atlantic and all but when I visit family in upstate PA or NY they always have something to say about my accent so there must be a difference. Plus they say "yous" and "yunz" or whatever the hell they say. There are like a bunch of accents throughout VA though but most if not all are grouped with southern American English.

Virginia Piedmont
Coastal/Tidewater accent
Southern Appalachian
Tangier Dialect

http://www.baconsrebellion.com/Issue...09/Curious.htm

Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
To answer the OP's question, listen to this recording of a man from Leesburg

http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica.../virginia5.mp3

Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
It's quite a bit different from the accent of the Norfolk area:

YouTube - TV spokesman with Tidewater accent

Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 PM

Actually most black folks talk like this in nova

YouTube - SUBURBAN BALTIMORE ACCENT

and the white folks

YouTube - ATHF

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldButtersStotch View Post
Actually most black folks talk like this in nova

YouTube - SUBURBAN BALTIMORE ACCENT

and the white folks

YouTube - ATHF
lol @ the 1st video. That's how white people talk in Baltimore, just not so southern.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
I met a lady from Baltimore way back and she sounded nothing like that 1st clip, she was black and sounded like someone from northern NJ. I understand that they have several dialects though. I don't want to be harsh but I only understood about 8 words in that clip (Ocean City, down, Baltimore, hydraulic heads, and you-know-what). The Baltimore along Virgil Goode's accent sounds harsh to me.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I met a lady from Baltimore way back and she sounded nothing like that 1st clip, she was black and sounded like someone from northern NJ. I understand that they have several dialects though. I don't want to be harsh but I only understood about 8 words in that clip (Ocean City, down, Baltimore, hydraulic heads, and you-know-what). The Baltimore along Virgil Goode's accent sounds harsh to me.
Don and Mike broke that particular Baltimore accent down.....

Start at 2:45

YouTube - The Don & Mike Show - Baltimore Accents (Part 1 of 2)

YouTube - The Don & Mike Show - Baltimore Accents (Part 2 of 2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.