Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 AM

105 posts, read 324,654 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at moving in summer of 2008.We have 2 children still at home and currently live in "little mexico"phoenix soon to become part of Mexico.
We are trying to decide between places in Montana, Utah,colorado and Idaho but we will not live in a place that Walmart has destroyed . Someone has to stop Walmart they take nice little towns and turn them into growing, prospering towns but the problem ihave with these towns growing is that if you ask most of the people in these towns they didnt want them to move in.
The town committees made the decision to destroy the town but what do they care Sam Walton just gives them a little money to say "yes".
Sorry if i got off on a rant but Walmart destroys life in small towns, its kind of like the Germans when they were trying to occupy Europe,walmart must be stopped.
If there is anyone that can give me an idea as to their favorite small town under 10000 people in either utah, montana,idaho or colorado.WE need to get our 2 kids out before they get hurt, kidnapped or raped in this crappy town.
Sorry im so angry but i use to be happy but it is hard to stay happy when you cant walk out the door without hearing the ghetto bird or police sirens.
I need my country life back ,it was a mistake to take my redneck butt and try to live here where i am required to speak a foreign language to get a good job.This city sucks.PLease give me ideas, i need out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Question I wish I had an answer

You could take a look at 'Right Nation' --www.rightnation.com, I think.
Political forum with many posters in your area.

I don't know what they are doing now--some forums are 'free' and you can make a donation and have additional posting priveleges--as best I can recall.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I so hear ya dan k. I too want out. I live next door to Phoenix and hate going there. I feel like everytime I get behind the wheel of my car my life is at risk (crappy drivers and general Phoenix scariness). Of course, shortly after moving here (and fully aware of my trepidation for drivers), wouldn't ya know I had my first car incident within six months of living here. That's another reason I try not to leave my neighborhood.

I just applied for a job and Spanish speaking is a REQUIREMENT. I remember when I first set out to learn the language it was to give me an edge in the job market. Now it's a requirement for so many jobs.

I don't watch the news here, so I guess I don't know what I am missing (except for that serial murderer, serial rapist (both past tense), and then that rapist guy in Chandler and/or Mesa). I wouldn't be able to take any more precautions than what I do now anyway. alarm system, motion sensor lights, dog who barks loudly. I've even thought about getting a gun, but I really don't want to do that. All I know is I don't drive anywhere in Phoenix at night unless I know the area and even then I don't feel very safe.

I'm with you on the Walmart thing too. Actually, this town has turned into one giant strip mall, if you ask me. A lot of people don't like it here, so at least you're not alone. Wish I had a better answer for you. BTW, just curious, but how long have you been here?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Ive been here for almost 5 years now.I came here from Wisconsin in 02' to be a Harley mechanic after my wife divorced me, i figured it was a good time to do what i wanted.I met the love of my life here and we have to wait until 08 when she graduates then we are moving and i cant wait.
Maybe people think this is a great life to have bars on your windows but where im from you dont even lock your door to your house.One time i actually forgot to close the front door to my house and all that was closed was the screen door , you could see right in, my gun cabinet was right there full of guns and you know what, they were all there when i got home 10 hours later.
Thank you for agreeing

Old 06-24-2007, 01:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Dan, in order to narrow it down~my vote is for my neighbor, Montana. I'm not personally very familiar with the state, but I don't think you'll find a Walmart in any town that's less then 10,000 people in Mont. Considering your profession, you may be in demand over there. Can you also work on snowmobiles and ATV's? If so, I doubly vote for Montana.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM

Thank you Jammie, i love montana i go every year for 2 weeks to see my kids but dont know if it is fair to ask my wife to move way up there seeing as 2 of her children are staying here and 2 are moving with us.
Im stuck, i want to be by my kids but dont know if its fair to move all the way to mine but away from hers
Yes , i can work on anything, lived in wisconsin for 35 years and fixed my first snowmobile when i was 12, i grew up on a farm and my dad didnt take things to repair shops, we fixed stuff on our own.I also put i 3 years at chevy so yeah i can work on cars also.
Thank you for your vote,

Old 06-24-2007, 05:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan k View Post
Ive been here for almost 5 years now.I came here from Wisconsin in 02' to be a Harley mechanic after my wife divorced me, i figured it was a good time to do what i wanted.I met the love of my life here and we have to wait until 08 when she graduates then we are moving and i cant wait.
Maybe people think this is a great life to have bars on your windows but where im from you dont even lock your door to your house.One time i actually forgot to close the front door to my house and all that was closed was the screen door , you could see right in, my gun cabinet was right there full of guns and you know what, they were all there when i got home 10 hours later.
Thank you for agreeing
I'm actually from MN (Mpls) and am really dense as I moved here, not once, but twice . Somehow I thought I'd be able to handle things differently. The fact I didn't like it then, well, I swept it under the rug, as my former employer had/has operations here. Well, I never went back to my company. So I guess I really am a slow learner or a masochist.

I should have known that when I saw a canal and got all happy (first time around), that was a sign. Moreover, I thought somehow magically I'd meet all these people to connect with, but that hasn't happened. To be fair, I'm probably not sending out the right vibes and spend too much time on the Net to make it happen. So, I'll give it another three months and try my hardest to like it here.

I'm alone and really hate the idea of starting over in a new place alone. Still, it may end up that way. Congrats on finding the love of your life here! At least that is one positive outcome from being here

Old 06-24-2007, 05:21 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
There are still some nice cities in Wisconsin where the "Evilness" of Wal Mart has not yet reared it's ugly head. Small towns of course!!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
So you hate Mexicans and speak poorly of Nazi Germany? That's funny.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
You should check out areas in the Northeast if you're not a fan of Walmart, Target and the like. Granted there are many wal-marts in the CT/NY area, but most suburbs (say, a pop of 40,000 and under) want nothing to do with commercial big box stores. Same goes for chains here. Instead you get mom and pop shops, great pizza and deli food. There are many chains here, but at least we have the alternative of fresher ingredients and a more intimate atmosphere.

Consider it. You might really enjoy it.

PS The snow really isn't as bad as most people make it seem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.