Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well I will disagree on both accounts

Also, the phillies have the 3rd most eyes on them only trailing the Yankees and Mets and 40% more than the Red Sox nation from a TV standpoint - they are national figures

NFL Nashville? Charlotte? Are you kidding me, really - that in and of itself basically detroys any credibility
Have you been around these cities during football season? The South is football country, and the fan bases of the Titans and Panthers are rather large and entrenched despite being relatively young franchises (relocation for the Titans).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Best Sports Towns:

Baseball

1. Boston
2. St. Louis
3. New York (Yankees)
4. Chicago (Cubs)
5. San Francisco (Giants)
6. Atlanta
7. Houston
8. Denver
9. Philadelphia
10. Baltimore or Anaheim

Football

1. Pittsburgh
2. Green Bay
3. Boston (New England)
4. Dallas
5. New York
6. Denver
7. Chicago
8. Nashville
9. Charlotte
10. Indianapolis or Philadelphia

Basketball

1. Los Angeles
2. Boston
3. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. San Antonio
6. Salt Lake City
7. Detroit
8. Chicago
9. Miami
10. Cleveland or Orlando

Hockey (U.S.)

1. Detroit
2. Philadelphia
3. Pittsburgh
4. Buffalo
5. Minnesota
6. Dallas
7. Denver
8. Boston
9. New York
10. Chicago or Raleigh
Your baseball and hockey lists need an awful lot of editing; in baseball--Atlanta as #6, Baltimore ( with its empty stadium) as #10???

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
2 million for a metro is not small by any measure. Not one bit.

San Antonio Metro is in the company of:

Denver
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Sacramento
Cleveland
Orlando
Kansas
Las Vegas
San Jose
Indianapolis
Baltimore
St Louis

etc.

Not small in the least
I'd agree that San Antonio is not small, but it's also not as much of an outlier as you'd claim regarding sports franchises. Looking at this list, several others have only a single team (Sacramento, Orlando) or were at one time much more important cities than they are today (Kansas Ctiy, St. Louis, Baltimore). The one that stands out to me as odd is Denver which is neither top tier for size nor historically more important than it is today. And yet, it is represented in all four major pro sports leagues.

Now to the OP question, for me, the list of top sports towns is confined to cities that can top 3 million for baseball attendance.

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Have you been around these cities during football season? The South is football country, and the fan bases of the Titans and Panthers are rather large and entrenched despite being relatively young franchises (relocation for the Titans).
Yeah Football is big in Texas. The Cowboys own it.

and the Titans are traitors. A pox on them

Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

Have been to NFL games in Charlotte, Denver, Miami, NY, NE, Chicago, Atlanta, San Diego, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Kansas City, NOLA (never Nashville though) - on Charlotte - it isn't even close to the philly experience - to your point i have not experienced Nashville first hand

Baseball

All NL East
All AL East
St louis, Chicago, LA Dodgers, Houston, San Diego, Cleveland, Cinci, Colorado (know I am forgetting some)

Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^ Oh and also many Big Ten SEC and ACC football games to boot

Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Your baseball and hockey lists need an awful lot of editing; in baseball--Atlanta as #6, Baltimore ( with its empty stadium) as #10???
You've got to look at the overall picture. Baltimore had "endless" sell-outs for many, many years at Camden Yards. They have the worst team in baseball right now. Having lower attendance relates to that. If the Yankees or Red Sox were fielding a team that couldn't win, you can bet that there'd be plenty of games with many empty seats.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Have been to NFL games in Charlotte, Denver, Miami, NY, NE, Chicago, Atlanta, San Diego, Dallas, Seattle, San Francisco, Kansas City, NOLA (never Nashville though) - on Charlotte - it isn't even close to the philly experience - to your point i have not experienced Nashville first hand

Baseball

All NL East
All AL East
St louis, Chicago, LA Dodgers, Houston, San Diego, Cleveland, Cinci, Colorado (know I am forgetting some)
So you just drive around the country to frequent games of teams that are not playing the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers, and 76ers?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Best Sports Towns:

Basketball

1. Los Angeles
2. Boston
3. Dallas
4. Phoenix
5. San Antonio
6. Salt Lake City
7. Detroit
8. Chicago
9. Miami
10. Cleveland or Orlando
The Mavericks beat the Rockets to your list? I know this is about personal opinion and all. But for real? Mavericks have never won a championship, and only one conference title. The Rockets have 4 conference titles and 2 championships. Not to mention when they play certain teams and when Yao is playing they have more viewers than the super bowl, thanks to China and a larger fan base here than the Mavericks in USA.

They've had big name players, Tracy McGrady, Hakeem Olajuan, Scottie Pippen, Yao Ming, Charles Barkeley.

The Mavericks have had like Jason Kidd & Dirk Nerwitzki and that's about it...

I don't mean to nitpick though, but I think it's the fact that I don't like Dallas's teams all to much that makes me want to point this out.

Otherwise your list looks good.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
I am thinking the question relates to more how important sports are in the culture of an area. I do think places that have a lower number of transplants and immigrants than average tend to be better sports towns, or at least more unified in fan support. It just looks like what is common with places that have very fair-weather fans seems to be areas where transplants tend to be high in number. (Sometimes a team that has stunk for such a long time might look this way as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.