Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:32 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
orlando, FL

...surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. and i think it's the 4th most visited metro area in the country, which is pathetic... has nothing to offer besides a few severely overrated theme parks.
Orlando is far from the worst in the country, but it does suck in many ways...transient envrionment=rude people and SKY high crime, every other person is a sex offender, horrific traffic,$****y schools (But not as bad as Miami), no culture, nothing but crappy chain restaurants and sprawl sprawl sprawl. Some people like the theme parks, though!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
thats not a good thing to some of us, the season lovers
I know, I was being sarcastic. I used to live down there. It amazed me how people would acknowledge the bad schools, high crime, endless humid summers, racial tensions, lack of community, transitory populace, etc., but then say "But we don't have to shovel snow!!" For them, that silly little thing trumped all of the faults of that many-faulted place!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I know, I was being sarcastic. I used to live down there. It amazed me how people would acknowledge the bad schools, high crime, endless humid summers, racial tensions, lack of community, transitory populace, etc., but then say "But we don't have to shovel snow!!" For them, that silly little thing trumped all of the faults of that many-faulted place!
I suppose this post is about SOFL--scanned the thread quickly.

I did not care for my visit to the Gold Coast and would like to nominate it. West Palm, Lake Park, Jupiter.

My friends moved down there. A very poor choice for one--two teenagers and they have not coped well. The other friend moved back to North GA--starting to get her life back together. Both of them 'wanted to live near the beach'--then rarely went.

They should have chosen another beach or made different choices in general.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Little Rock, Arkansas. Most depressing so-called big city I've ever been to. Even Joplin, Missouri is more interesting than Little Rock and according to my father growing up there was enough to make an alcoholic out of someone it was so depressing. Well, that's how he phrased it

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I like living where I am in South Florida. Public education in my area is actually good, crime is like non existent, and my area (And areas around me) are very ethnically diverse without any real sense of tension at all. People here are so well educated that it does not really matter once you get out here. Thing is, all you have to do is drive 15 minutes to the Dade county line, and you have officially entered what you have described; the worst area to live in the United States, where the only people who find the conditions there acceptable are those who are truly wearing rose colored glasses. Honestly, if you are living in the right area, ANY metro area can be really nice.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 PM

I found Buffalo, NY to be pretty depressing when I was there a few weeks ago. It looks like a city with a lot of promise, but so many empty stores and residences. Relentlessly boring as well. I think if that place was repopulated, though, it would have a lot of potential! Funny thing is, I think Miami needs the opposite to have potential .

Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Colorado Springs is so damn boring. That is one of the worst in the nation.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Metro Detroit. I think it's the largest city in which more is in the suburbs than the actual core city.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Now it isn't. Even NYC has more in the suburbs than the city.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Atlanta is horrible. There is too much urban sprawl, worse than most cities and possiblyas bad as in LA. Pollution is very bad during summer. Because of it's sprawl nature, Atlanta is hardly walkable in most places(it is summer now so walking anywhere is a nightmare). The public transit system (MARTA) is a joke. It's rail line only covers two small counties(I don't live in either one). Some of the other counties have formed their own bus systems, which are also very bad in a sense. Most of the metro Atlanta counties have rejected MARTA, believing that it brings in "crime". If you live in metro Atlanta and you don't have a car, life will be very difficult at best.
There are racial tensions, not as bad as they could be, but they are there, particularly in the outer counties(Paulding,Forsyth, etc). I know from experience. Actually, Forsyth County was known for a civil rights march in the 1980's protesting racism in Forsyth County. Some problems erupted.
Crime is a big problem. The number of murders in Atlanta last year was 107. I am just talking about Atlanta city itself. Particularly the suburbs in Clayton and Dekalb County have crime problems. Even Marietta has some crime.
In many ways, Atlanta is the LA of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.