U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,026 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are considering a place to relocate for life after school. We are currently about to move back to VA, and once school is finished (Going for Busin. Admin) we are trying to figure out a decent place to move to. I love being close to a beach, but a few hours away wont kill me (As long as its only a few hours at most). She loves the mountains, but we dont have to live IN the mountains, just close perhaps. I can deal with hot weather much more than I can cold. Humidity is what kills me though. I am also a big city type of person. Low crime is another important factor. Id like to go somewhere that cost of living does not kill me (But I understand I'll pay more to live close to a bigger city). Can anyone help me here im perhaps just listing some cities and places that just may fit here? Any help is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,695,089 times
I think you just described my town. Aiken, SC. 20 minutes from Augusta, GA (where the jobs are), 1 hour to the mountains, 3 hours to the beach.

4 seasons, current humidity 51% (I have seen it as high as 52% when it is not raining), no snow in the winter. Very low crime. Affordable housing. Small town friendly folks.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,026 times
Im looking more for a larger city. Perhaps something with some major sports team and/or plenty of city entertainment. I also can not stand the cold what-so-ever...so "no winter" would work for me. Me and my wife have consid. places like Dallas and Las Vegas, but was wanting to see what else this country has to offer.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM

10,010 posts, read 17,745,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysZeroSeven
Im looking more for a larger city. Perhaps something with some major sports team and/or plenty of city entertainment. I also can not stand the cold what-so-ever...so "no winter" would work for me. Me and my wife have consid. places like Dallas and Las Vegas, but was wanting to see what else this country has to offer.
Dont do Las Vegas, try Seattle can you handle some rain? It gets chilly but the city has so much to offer it is worth it! The mountains are close, it is really beautiful there.
Thought about outside Phoenix? Crime is everywhere, butthe are great places just outside the city. Thats where we are headed after moving from Oregon to NC now AZ.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 16,914,046 times
Try something outside of either Los Angeles or San Francisco. You'll ahve major league teams for NFL, MLB and NBA. Coast isn't far nor are mountains. Humidity on the West coast much lower than the East.

Or you could try further north near Seattle and you have your baseball and football as well. Moutains and the coast.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:18 PM

571 posts, read 2,402,992 times
Just a thought...have you considered Tucson? I'm not sure about the crime, but it seems to fit most of your other requirements, even the beach! Rocky Point (aka Puerto Penasco), Mexico is only a 4 hour drive or so away...lots of Arizonans own beach homes there on the Sea of Cortez. Would be a pretty easy weekend getaway. In the off season, you can rent some of those beautiful beach homes for surprisingly cheap (my husband and I rented a great 2+ bedroom for only about $100/night a few years ago.)

Phoenix is another option (also about 4 hrs from Rocky Point), but from my understanding it's also gettting very expensive there. But being a major metro area, they do have professional sports and that sort of thing.

Another place that comes to mind is San Antonio, Texas. Not too far from Chorpus Christi for beaches. It would be a little bit of a drive to west Texas/New Mexico for mtns, but it is near the Texas Hill Country. Not nearly as humid as Houston or other "South Coast" cities. Really a great city with lots of character and lots to do.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2006, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 370,183 times
Default Jobs?

3 hours to the beach? Who's going to the beach when it's 3 hours away?

What about jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
I think you just described my town. Aiken, SC. 20 minutes from Augusta, GA (where the jobs are), 1 hour to the mountains, 3 hours to the beach.

4 seasons, current humidity 51% (I have seen it as high as 52% when it is not raining), no snow in the winter. Very low crime. Affordable housing. Small town friendly folks.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,695,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker
3 hours to the beach? Who's going to the beach when it's 3 hours away?

What about jobs?
Lots of people here go to Myrlte Beach on the weekends.

SRS is the main employer here, but Augusta, GA is 20 minutes away. Most folks commute.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM

104 posts, read 370,183 times
Doesn't sound promising. How many SP500 companies located in Augusta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey
Lots of people here go to Myrlte Beach on the weekends.

SRS is the main employer here, but Augusta, GA is 20 minutes away. Most folks commute.

Last edited by New_Yorker; 08-15-2006 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.