Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The Pharma belt goes largely under the radar on this site (this swath from Wilmington DE to southern CT is an economic monster), quite honestly can compete with just about industry and any metro/s
Agree there. NJ is a power for sure in healthcare (perhaps the most powerful pharma region in the US). The company I work for (part of J&J) is headquartered in Raritan, and it's amazing when you go down there and see just how many huge pharma companies are headquartered there/have major operations/research. It definitely falls under the radar; I suspect mainly because it gets lost in the mix NYC's and Philly's power (and also because these areas are typically considered "suburbs" of these major cities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Agree there. NJ is a power for sure in healthcare (perhaps the most powerful pharma region in the US). The company I work for (part of J&J) is headquartered in Raritan, and it's amazing when you go down there and see just how many huge pharma companies are headquartered there/have major operations/research. It definitely falls under the radar; I suspect mainly because it gets lost in the mix NYC's and Philly's power (and also because these areas are typically considered "suburbs" of these major cities).

yes and to clarify from a Pharma perspective there is actually no area in the world even close, nearly 80% of either Worldwide or US operations/sales can be tied directly to this region for Pharma

Even an area like the Bio Belt in Cambridge is maybe 1/8th the size, especially when dollarized, people don't realize the significance of this place

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
yes and to clarify from a Pharma perspective there is actually no area in the world even close, nearly 80% of either Worldwide or US operations/sales can be tied directly to this region for Pharma

Even an area like the Bio Belt in Cambridge is maybe 1/8th the size, especially when dollarized, people don't realize the significance of this place
Wow, I didn't realize it was that significant. That's pretty amazing. The area definitely doesn't get recognized much (seems to basically be the "silicon valley," if you will, of pharmaceuticals).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize it was that significant. That's pretty amazing. The area definitely doesn't get recognized much (seems to basically be the "silicon valley," if you will, of pharmaceuticals).
In a even more focused nature actually

Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:

As a Philadelphian, how do you categorize NJ in terms of what metro it belongs to? It seems to me there are some analogies to the Philly/NJ/NYC corridor and the SF/Silicon Valley/SJ Peninsula region (two major cities with a very large employment region running between them).

No wonder the census bureau has no idea how to define these areas adequately. They certainly don't fit the old single-nodal model at all! The "commuting patterns" are probably very difficult to define too.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 39,897 times
Quote:
As a Philadelphian, how do you categorize NJ in terms of what metro it belongs to? It seems to me there are some analogies to the Philly/NJ/NYC corridor and the SF/Silicon Valley/SJ Peninsula region (two major cities with a very large employment region running between them).

No wonder the census bureau has no idea how to define these areas adequately. They certainly don't fit the old single-nodal model at all! The "commuting patterns" are probably very difficult to define too.
Yeah, these are great examples. Kind of what I was trying to get at with this thread. The Census doesn't seem to employ satisfactory criteria for properly defining these regions very well. SF-Oakland-SJ being a pretty significantly challenging one to define of course, but I'm realizing more that Philly/NJ/and NYC are very similar in this regard. No wonder Mercer county keeps getting shuffled around (from what I can tell, anyway).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 39,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Not since 2008, San Francisco took over the number 12 spot. Jacksonville down to 13.

But yeah I know the point you were trying to make, and agreed.
Yeah, statistics can definitely mislead. Especially when newer cities have the ability to annex so easily, whereas older cities can't grow outward (and do so upwards).

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
I was thinking that generally areas are defined as being in a metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area (difference is population of UA with 50000 being the change point). If there is enough connectivity between two of either type it combines to form a CSA. (Why some large metros are only MSA is due to not having other component parts) If the connectivity is even greater than that the two places merge as one MSA. One way to point out the multinodal nature is in any definition to have the full name point out the multiple nature of a statistical area by listing each significant center.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Examine where the $50Bn+ mkt value corporate HQs and $500K++/yr jobs are located and where those individuals choose to live

SF region is epicentered around PaloAlto...vast majority of such high-earners (and major taxpayers) live/work around PA....and a few K yuppies live in distant suburban SF (Soma and PacHts) and drive down to PA area (in some new Mercedes on 280) to earn a living...and who the hell with money actually lives in SJ?

EastBay and Marin are about as irrelevant to SiliconValley tech kings as NJ/LI/slum boroughs-wastelands are to hedge fund guys and GS partners who live/work in Manhattan in tightly circumscribed corridors (and are driven to office in some Merc S550)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.