Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times

Advertisements

Rome, and Northwest Georgia's ridge and valley district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 06:54 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Is there a unique area in your state (or city or other attraction) that is well known to the locals, but which people from outside your state or region don't really know about or appreciate as they should? Why do you think people don't know about it?

For New York, I will nominate the Finger Lakes region, which is a triangular area roughly bounded by Rochester, Syracuse and Elmira (or Ithaca).

Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Authority on Places to Stay, Where to Eat and Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

(AKA the part of New York state that has claw marks on it.)

Unlike touristy parts of upstate NY that are closer to New York City, it still really hasn't been discovered by the super-wealthy (who tend to ruin everything, don't they?) It is a long drive from the places where the super-rich live and work. If it wasn't, I think the super-rich would be swarming over it and it would have the character of the Hamptons - it's that beautiful. Although wealthy people do live and play there, it definitely has a feel of a place that still belongs to everybody - not too expensive to enjoy. There is so much lakeshore available, that nobody can really monopolize it with expensive homes too much. Many of the most beautiful areas are owned by the state and open to the public. Because the lakes are so long, and don't have bridges over them, it's often time-consuming to get from Point A to Point B. I think this has something to do with the "hidden paradise" feeling of the region.

I also think the Finger Lakes wine region is the most beautiful in America although it gets nowhere near the amount of attention as California's Napa Valley, probably again due to its remote location from where wealthy movers and shakers live (downstate) and because New York's liquor laws are bizarre and for many years kept New York wine out of shops around the nation (which meant they didn't get attention from wine magazines and such). Due to the northern climate, the Finger Lakes wineries are best with grapes that grow in colder climes like Riesling, for which they have gotten a great reputation internationally. But, some of the oldest vineyards in America are located here and the scenery is reminiscent of the Rhine Valley of Germany.

The Finger Lakes region is also probably the waterfall capital of the Northeast, there are dozens and dozens and they are everywhere, even in the towns and cities (TALL waterfalls too, in deep gorges).

I'm kind of torn because I think the Finger Lakes ought to be nationally and internationally known as a tourism destination but at the same time, I wouldn't want it ruined by "big money" coming in.

How about in your state?
^This also due to some of the places in the region(Ithaca, Auburn, Seneca Falls, Geneva, Canandaigua, Hammondsport, etc.).

Another NY that comes to mind due to its close proximity to Montreal, Burlington VT(can get there by ferry), the Adirondacks and Green Mountains of VT, while seeing development and having a steady manufacturing base: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...secret-ny.html

Hope others chime in...

Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
The mountain and lake area in western SC isn't that well known outside of the state.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
It’s full of vast sparsely populated mountaneous, desert and foothill areas that are as rural, wild or ranch/agricultural, conservative gun toting and small town as they come.

I should know, I come from one of them.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
The Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania. The "Lake Country" in Georgia. The Shawnee Hills in Illinois. The Virgin River Gorge in Arizona. The Cherokee Foothills Scenic Byway in South Carolina. Apalachee Bay in Florida. The Land of Waterfalls in North Carolina.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A lot of people even in California don't know that Mt. Lassen is still an active volcano since it is situated in the far north-eastern part of the state.
Lassen Volcanic National Park is amazing as well, and one of the least visited NP in the US.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Is there a unique area in your state (or city or other attraction) that is well known to the locals, but which people from outside your state or region don't really know about or appreciate as they should? Why do you think people don't know about it?

For New York, I will nominate the Finger Lakes region, which is a triangular area roughly bounded by Rochester, Syracuse and Elmira (or Ithaca).

Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Authority on Places to Stay, Where to Eat and Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

(AKA the part of New York state that has claw marks on it.)

Unlike touristy parts of upstate NY that are closer to New York City, it still really hasn't been discovered by the super-wealthy (who tend to ruin everything, don't they?) It is a long drive from the places where the super-rich live and work. If it wasn't, I think the super-rich would be swarming over it and it would have the character of the Hamptons - it's that beautiful. Although wealthy people do live and play there, it definitely has a feel of a place that still belongs to everybody - not too expensive to enjoy. There is so much lakeshore available, that nobody can really monopolize it with expensive homes too much. Many of the most beautiful areas are owned by the state and open to the public. Because the lakes are so long, and don't have bridges over them, it's often time-consuming to get from Point A to Point B. I think this has something to do with the "hidden paradise" feeling of the region.

I also think the Finger Lakes wine region is the most beautiful in America although it gets nowhere near the amount of attention as California's Napa Valley, probably again due to its remote location from where wealthy movers and shakers live (downstate) and because New York's liquor laws are bizarre and for many years kept New York wine out of shops around the nation (which meant they didn't get attention from wine magazines and such). Due to the northern climate, the Finger Lakes wineries are best with grapes that grow in colder climes like Riesling, for which they have gotten a great reputation internationally. But, some of the oldest vineyards in America are located here and the scenery is reminiscent of the Rhine Valley of Germany.

The Finger Lakes region is also probably the waterfall capital of the Northeast, there are dozens and dozens and they are everywhere, even in the towns and cities (TALL waterfalls too, in deep gorges).

I'm kind of torn because I think the Finger Lakes ought to be nationally and internationally known as a tourism destination but at the same time, I wouldn't want it ruined by "big money" coming in.

How about in your state?

Washington state -Lake Chelan

https://www.google.com.kw/search?q=l...=1600&bih=1105

As a general statement, the best kept secret about the "Evergreen state" is that it's largely brown at least on the east side of the state.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Most people in my experience don't seem to be aware that East Texas has pine woods so in a broad sense that is a "Best Kept Secret"

If people know anything about Texas it is usually big bend, I don't tend to think of National Parks as "Best Kept Secrets"

In my experience most people don't know anything about Idaho so basically any knowledge about the state up to and including it's location, and the fact that the state is mountainous are "Best Kept Secrets"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.