Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM

38 posts, read 91,429 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move next year and I want to start looking now. I just graduated with my B.A. in Elementary Education and will have my Masters in July ’11. My husband works at a furniture factory and this is the only job that he has ever had. We are looking for a place that should have teaching jobs available next year and some type of factories around it. (Going by schools this year I think NC and TX are high on the list, but I am not sure.)

My biggest concern is that I will not find a place that has both teaching and factories that are widely enough available that we could both find work.

We are not looking at a certain state, so any information would be helpful. If possible please list the factory and the school district.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,761,600 times
Have you looked in the Trenton area?
I'm not necessarily suggesting you live IN Trenton but the towns around Trenton are some of the most pleasant areas or the state. Trenton would fit the bill completely for your husband, and I know unemployment rates in the Trenton MSA are lower than National average, so a teaching job in that area may be easier than most places in the US.

What's your budget if you don't mind me asking? This would make things much easier to narrow down. There's plenty of beautiful wealthy towns in the area, but there's a few affordable areas in the area. The COL is not that bad (since the pay is great) considering it's in NJ.
Ewing, NJ is Trenton's biggest suburb. It has some really nice, charming areas yet it has areas that are a bit iffy-- Nothing too serious if you keep a good distance, it's a big town (land wise). You can find nice homes in a good area for under 200K.

Other nice, virtually crimeless *affordable* towns/cities in the area are:

White Horse, NJ (probably the most ideal)
Bordentown, NJ
Lawrenceville, NJ
Levittown, PA (A pretty good sized, nice city in PA about 8 miles from Trenton)
Hightstown, NJ

If you can afford Priceton, that would probably be the best place to live in the area for obvious reasons.

There's other nice small towns, but they're pretty expensive.

the location is amazing- You're in the middle of Philly, NYC, and the shore

~

It's possible to find nice, affordable areas in Trenton-- I lived in a nice area in Trenton at one point as a preteen and have no complaints (despite the infamous ghettos) but the city has a pretty hardcore police force that makes the nice areas NICE areas... But I'd just focus on surrounding towns.

Good luck

Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 AM

38 posts, read 91,429 times
We would be looking for a 4 br house, that would not take every penny we make. I am sure the big cities would have more open teaching position next year but I am not sure about the cities that have some type of factory work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.