Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 PM

38 posts, read 61,188 times

Advertisements

We have the option of moving our young family from Sacramento to Boise. I'm not thrilled about Boise, but it's safer, family-friendly, and offers a lower cost of living and slower lifestyle. On the other hand, it's remote, cold, far from family and jobs there are fewer (right now my husband works remotely, so it's not an issue). Would you move for the sake of your children, so that they may grow up in a better place, even if it's not a place you love? Just wanted to hear what other folks would do if given the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Unless you are moving to a place where YOU would be happy, your family will gain no advantage in being separated from everything they know and love.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM

82 posts, read 98,721 times
This is too personal to answer for you. Really depends on what the lifestyle for the whole family would be like in both places.

It's hard for me to see Boise described as "cold" with 108 in the forecast. Yes, I know Sacramento has warmer winters. Just can't help but whine a bit this week

Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I have two kids, and I say, absolutely not, under any circumstances.

As a parent, I've decided to stay in the city. Some people have criticized me for this, and argued I should move to a suburban locale "for the sake of my kids." But personally speaking, I grew up in a suburb, hated it, and vowed to never live in one again.

Now, it may be that my kids don't like living in the city. But it may be they wouldn't like living in the suburbs either. I can't predict what they will or won't like. I can only say what I like. Which is why my own preferences in terms of where they live count, and not what I presume my children might like.

That said, if I needed to move due to a job change - and if I thought a move would allow me to materially support my family better - I would consider it, even if it made me less happy. But I wouldn't let "family friendliness" enter into the equation at all.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:48 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
...... (right now my husband works remotely, .......
If your husband works remotely, you could move anywhere. There must be someplace somewhere int the USA where you would be happy and it would be safer for your kids.

If you are one of those people who can't tolerate living anywhere but right next to your family, then you won't be happy anywhere, so start working on how to make your kids safe where you are located right now.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
Would you move for the sake of your children, so that they may grow up in a better place, even if it's not a place you love?
I think that anywhere in America that is middle-class and up is a good place for raising children. I feel blessed that so much of this country is livable for families.

However, I'd be open to evidence that shows my opinion to be wrong.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
This is too personal to answer for you. Really depends on what the lifestyle for the whole family would be like in both places.

It's hard for me to see Boise described as "cold" with 108 in the forecast. Yes, I know Sacramento has warmer winters. Just can't help but whine a bit this week
I saw the forecast... wow. Over 100 degrees for the next two weeks! I should have said "cold winters" to be clear!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Thank you all for sharing your perspective. It's given me a lot of food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Unless you are moving to a place where YOU would be happy, your family will gain no advantage in being separated from everything they know and love.
Yes, this is definitely true. I'm learning the grass is not always greener and every place has it's own set of pros and cons.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
how much better would this new wife be?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Yes, I would, absolutely. What is more important than the well-being of your kids? But being close to family trumps cost of living. Thus, I don't see how/why Boise would be a better place in which to grow up than Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.