Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
You don't count MSAs because Chicago's continues to grow? You don't like the idea of areas adding land? Surely an MSA growing in population by adding counties due to strengthening commuting ties is the same or in fact more valid a concept than Sunbelt cities annexing masses of land to increase it's population.
I am just saying that Chicago's metro is still growing and I don't think is going to be overtaken at any point soon. It still has 3 million more than Dallas'. Let's not forget, that Milwaukke is right by Chicago, and those MSA's are getting closer, and closer, closer to touching each other, and it wouldn't surprise me if at one point they merge which would add an additional 2 million people to that MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
DFW is gonna easily catch up to Chicago. The area is growing so rapidly and when they redefine the MSAs next year DFW is looking to add counties. That will narrow the 3M even quicker The Counties that DFW lost at the last redefinition is sure to come back.

Hood, Hill and Erath Micropolitan areas add 150K
Corell adds 75K, Mcllenan adds 235K, Bell adds 310K

Add to that the 1.5M that DFW will be gaining in a few years and you will see that DFW will be passed 9M VERY soon.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Ehh, maybe it's the Texas mantra that bigger means better, but most of those situations are usually far from the truth.

Further, I'd be wholeheartedly surprised if Texas' growth continued unabated.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 AM

There is no stopping Texas Growth.

There are still many services that can be tapped in DFW for job creation.

DFW is gonna overtake Chicago on Logistics too, creating even more jobs and more people.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I am just saying that Chicago's metro is still growing and I don't think is going to be overtaken at any point soon. It still has 3 million more than Dallas'. Let's not forget, that Milwaukke is right by Chicago, and those MSA's are getting closer, and closer, closer to touching each other, and it wouldn't surprise me if at one point they merge which would add an additional 2 million people to that MSA.
Oh sorry, I thought you were saying you don't use MSA numbers and prefer to use City propers. My bad.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There is no stopping Texas Growth.
Except inevitability.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Except inevitability.
whats inevitable is DFW trouncing Chicagioland.

Don'tcha know how expansive DFW is. So many connected cities all growing

Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Look at San Francisco. It's a smaller city than Indianapolis and Jacksonville! But it's in a class of cities that Indy and Jacksonville will never reach IMO. Size doesn't really matter too much, it's about style, prominence and doing important things.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Population of city proper doesn't matter. Even the MSA doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is CSA, which Chicago crushes both cities and there is no way for them to support the population they need to catch Chicago. On top of that, Chicago is the hub for the bi-national Great Lakes Megalopolis of 50 milliion+ people. Even if DFW and Greater Houston surpass Chicago MSA and CSA population, the regional importance of Chicago and its location while help it remain a very important city.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM

148 posts, read 238,919 times
Default lol rhetoric

goin down? lol chicago is established and not goin away or down or dissapeaaring as much as others would like anytime soon. if anything those aforementioned metro areas claiming growth, they are merely joining us where weve been at for some time. to check that growth, the economy and its unstability in the usa and worldwide means growth will inevitably plateau. this is true of any metro area growing at an accelerated rate...

but so what then if houston or dallas joins chicago as one of the top tier cities in the us? if theres any impact felt, it'd be felt outside the us as America gets stronger and smarter as we make good on our mistakes, realize what doesnt work, concentrate more on our strengths, respective to each city.... i have nothing but mutual respect for those in other communities striving to make their home a better place to live in. after all thats the overall idea right? - general perpetual improvement...

again population numbers are just something to brag about, like a buddy of mine at the bar spittin out stats over and over when we talk about sports... i dont even like it when other chicagoans go beatin others over the head " well youll never have a downtown like ours!" or "your city will never have a taller better skyline than us..." blah blah blah... but know this, ascending to the level of a major metro commanding an entire region has its problems, big and small that contribute to slowing growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.