Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Record for what -- freight? I always think that Toledo is the epicenter of freight distribution, but does it have a lot of distribution centers that can take advantage of its location between NYC and Chicago, Canada and the USA?
Traffic in general, at lest it once was the busyist streach as I recall.
Chicago is the transportation hub, hands down. The truck traffic between Chicago and N. Indiana, I-80,I-294,I-90 where they all come together , has to be the most in the Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
^I agree....Holy WOW, it's so impressive (to me, I'm a truck nerd)!!! I-90 is so packed all the way to Minneapolis, and I know I-80/94 and I-70 are pretty busy as well. But I-90 between Madison and Rockford is ALWAYS congested and there is quite a bit of freight as well. Just plaiin busy!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Some of these have been mentioned before, but I'll say them again...
I-95 in South Carolina & Central Florida (Where it hasn't already been widened to 6 lanes..Daytona to Melbourne) Also in Delaware & NYC to Connecticut. (I know there is no room to widen the Cross Bronx but they could at least repave it!)
I-26 from Columbia to Charleston
I-65 from Clanton to Birmingham
I-10 and I-12 from Pensacola to Houston
I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas/Ft. Worth
I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff seriously needs a truck lane!
I-15 from Primm to San Bernardino/Riverside
I-5 in Southern California (never driven the 5 in NorCal but it probably needs it too)
I-20 near Shreveport, Jackson, Tuscaloosa and around Anniston to Bremen (really, all of 20 needs to be at least 6 lanes consistently from Birmingham to Atlanta)
..and a local one for me; I-16 from I-516 to I-95

Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Many in Minnesota come to mind.

I-94 from Maple Grove to St. Cloud.
I-494 the whole south side
I-694 basically all of it.

I suppose almost every existing interstate could use upgrading, but that just isn't feasible.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Some of these have been mentioned before, but I'll say them again...
I-95 in South Carolina & Central Florida (Where it hasn't already been widened to 6 lanes..Daytona to Melbourne) Also in Delaware & NYC to Connecticut. (I know there is no room to widen the Cross Bronx but they could at least repave it!)
I-26 from Columbia to Charleston
I-65 from Clanton to Birmingham
I-10 and I-12 from Pensacola to Houston
I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas/Ft. Worth
I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff seriously needs a truck lane!
I-15 from Primm to San Bernardino/Riverside
I-5 in Southern California (never driven the 5 in NorCal but it probably needs it too)
I-20 near Shreveport, Jackson, Tuscaloosa and around Anniston to Bremen (really, all of 20 needs to be at least 6 lanes consistently from Birmingham to Atlanta)
..and a local one for me; I-16 from I-516 to I-95
Now you know darn well they aren't going to expand I-16 at all! All that transportation money goes to Atlanta, and they still can't get it right. I-516? I don't think there are more than a couple of thousand people on the planet that know that road even exists.
Forget about I-95 in S.C. and I-26. South Carolina has stopped building roads forever. They have connected their major cities, and unless they put up a toll they won't expand it.
The thing they could do with the urban roads like 95 in NYC, 76 in philly, etc. is double deck them like in California. It would be expensive but it is a solution.

I do like the idea of a new interstate between Baton Rouge and Savannah only because there is no great way to get down there to I-10, and I was always surprised that something wasnt built to connect the I-95 corridor to I-10 without going through Atlanta. However I-3 to Tenn? Do that many people really go to Tenn from the Savannah area, I see a few Tenn plates around here but not a lot.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
I do like the idea of a new interstate between Baton Rouge and Savannah only because there is no great way to get down there to I-10, and I was always surprised that something wasnt built to connect the I-95 corridor to I-10 without going through Atlanta.
The closest you'll get to that is a Savannah Mobile Highway, likely via Montgomery.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^I agree....Holy WOW, it's so impressive (to me, I'm a truck nerd)!!! I-90 is so packed all the way to Minneapolis, and I know I-80/94 and I-70 are pretty busy as well. But I-90 between Madison and Rockford is ALWAYS congested and there is quite a bit of freight as well. Just plaiin busy!
I-90 does not go all the way to MPLS. There are places around the Country where several Interstates come together, a funnel effect . Thats where the problem are.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:38 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I-90 does not go all the way to MPLS. There are places around the Country where several Interstates come together, a funnel effect . Thats where the problem are.
I-94 goes into Minneapolis, I-90 crosses Minnesota in the southern half of the state.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I-94 goes into Minneapolis, I-90 crosses Minnesota in the southern half of the state.
We all know that , whats your point ?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes, I know this all too well, considering I make the drive from Mpls to Chicago and back several times a year. I-90 is the busiest part of that drive, after it connects with I-94, so from Tomah, WI to Rockford, IL it can and should be 3 lanes in each direction.....there is just too much congestion on any given day. I-94 is doable but once Eau Claire and Menomonie bring in traffic to I-94 it gets busy again, but it's more tolerable than the other part of the trek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.