Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 AM

404 posts, read 1,030,631 times

Advertisements

I'd personally skip Houston and instead go to Seattle. The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous.

As far as driving through Texas..well, there's really not much down here for tourists and Houston has no "beauty" unless you're into somewhat new skyscrapers and 100-year-old buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM

116 posts, read 157,528 times
Thanks for the input guys, I think we should probably fly from some places, yeah.

Driving isn't an option as I say, the only one of us who can drive will be 20 at the time.

I'm thinking fly to Boston, bus to DC, stopping in the major cities on the way, catch a flight to Miami, then either bus to Texas, stopping at New Orleans and other places, or just fly to Houston or something. Then head to Albequerque and Phoenix from there, then to California and go up the coast, the fly San Fran to Boston, and fly back home.

Would love to go to Seattle, but I think the flights would be expensive, same for Chicago and that region..

We're students, so dont have a lot of dosh,

In regards to accomodation, how much would a night in a hostel (are hostels really as bad as people say, in the states?) cost?

Thanks

Tim

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I think we should probably fly from some places, yeah.

Driving isn't an option as I say, the only one of us who can drive will be 20 at the time.

I'm thinking fly to Boston, bus to DC, stopping in the major cities on the way, catch a flight to Miami, then either bus to Texas, stopping at New Orleans and other places, or just fly to Houston or something. Then head to Albequerque and Phoenix from there, then to California and go up the coast, the fly San Fran to Boston, and fly back home.

Would love to go to Seattle, but I think the flights would be expensive, same for Chicago and that region..

We're students, so dont have a lot of dosh,

In regards to accomodation, how much would a night in a hostel (are hostels really as bad as people say, in the states?) cost?

Thanks

Tim
You can use the Megabus (Very Cheap and to the city centers) between Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC

not sure on the hostels

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Can you scrape together enough money to buy a car? I say this because what is really special about the US , that you won't find anywhere else, are the remote places. Not only the National Parks, but small towns, where there probably is no bus service.
If you are relying on the bus, then you're talking about a tour of cities, which might go something like :
Boston, NY, Phila, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake, Las Vegas?, San Fran---then either a detour north to Portland and Seattle, or head south to LA and San Diego. Then east again . I guess you get the idea- these are some major ports from which you can make day trips.
PS: Try to get yourselves to Charleston SC and/or Savannah GA somehow.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times
I am really jealous of you guys! Can I make one minor suggestion: try to visit places other than the cities. There are so many small towns in places that are off the beaten path; you will miss so much of the American fabric.

I agree with the above poster; if you are set on seeing the entire breadth of the country, you might want to look into purchasing a car.

Keep us posted on your happenings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.