Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM

166 posts, read 610,072 times

Advertisements

Just out of pure curiosity, to my fellow city-data'ers, out of all the cities you have visited or lived in, which one did you think had the highest percentage of people smoking marijuana? Meaning, that people actually admitted they did it or if they knew people who did it, it did not bother them.

The flip question also applies: which city has the lowest public tolerance for marijuana?

Oh and please, spare me the lecture about whether or not it's a good thing to smoke mary jane or not. I'm not interested in the political ramifications or opinions on its legality, just its social acceptance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,135,703 times
Of the cities I've lived in, the greatest public tolerance for marijuana use seemed to be in Toronto, Canada.

Maine also has quite liberal marijuana laws nowadays.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 PM

726 posts, read 2,140,381 times
Denver, Boulder, Breckenridge, Nederland, actually pretty much most places I've been to in Colorado. legalized mmj.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,859,818 times
In Austin people have lit up on the steps of the state capital before. Weed is tolerated in Austin. Houston is pretty lenient too. If you have a small amount like a joint or bowl most officers will make you toss it instead of arresting you & the most you'll get is a ticket if its under a certain amount. They only go after the big fish really. The big time dope dealers importing the **** from Mexico.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,438,977 times
Well, considering I've lived in Santa Cruz, CA, Ashland, OR, and Portland, OR in my lifetime that's almost a hard pick. But growing up in Santa Cruz in the 90s, it seemed that practically everyone toked a little. Everyone from rich lawyer friends of my parents to the aging janitor at my school enjoyed the herb---much more people than the typical surfers and stoners that is the stereotype. I remember stories about kids getting busted with low quantities of marijuana yet never actually getting even a citation for it---the police would seize the marijuana, yet nothing was ever reported.

There was also a thriving marijuana industry in the Santa Cruz mountains at the time, although in the summer the sheriff's drug copter would fly over my home at the edge of the hills at such a low elevation that the house would literally shake while. Once I awoke to find a drug task force with an signed search warrant at my door--they had mistaken the bamboo in my dad's backyard garden for a grow operation.

As far as lowest tolerance--I don't know how it is now, but when I was a teenager Nevada and Reno had particularly bad reputations as places not to get caught with marijuana or even supposed paraphernalia like pipes. However, I believe they've loosened the laws since then. But I believe Utah is still very strict in laws regarding possession.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 21,967 times
Arcata CA has the highest tolerance for the "little green herb". It is almost universally accepted as not only a recreational activity, but economic activity

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 AM

92,057 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Ann Arbor MI and Ithaca NY are up there for high tolerance.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,063,401 times
We're going to have a harder time finding places that are have LITTLE tolerance.

I live in Chicago and hardly know anyone who DOESN'T smoke pot if it's put in front of their face. People at my accounting job downtown use to freely sell it to me. The people at the rehab place in front of my condo smoke it every day sitting out on the busy sidewalk. No one even bats an eye. My current boss said in front of a group the other day "god I just need a hit right now" and everyone laughed.

I think in Chicago they also downgraded possessing a small amount to the equivilent of a traffic ticket.

Growing up in a college town like Iowa City it was damn near everywhere. My parents smoked it, I smoked it, my friends smoked it. It's still hippieville there in that regards.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In Austin people have lit up on the steps of the state capital before. Weed is tolerated in Austin. Houston is pretty lenient too. If you have a small amount like a joint or bowl most officers will make you toss it instead of arresting you & the most you'll get is a ticket if its under a certain amount. They only go after the big fish really. The big time dope dealers importing the **** from Mexico.
No serious tokers smoke pot that comes from Mexico. This is a myth that gets repeated far too often as a way to blame drug violence on potheads. The only people who smoke that garbage, or "schwag" as we call it up here in WI, are kids in middle school who don't know any better and poor people in the ghetto.

TX has some of the strictest MJ laws in the country. Possession of any amount is a misdemeanor and carries the possibility of jail time.

I moved away from Denver in December 2008 and they didn't have a single MMJ dispensary in the metro area at the time. Come January 2009 and Denver has more dispensaries than any city besides LA. WTF? What's weird is that when I lived there I hardly met anybody who openly admitted to smoking pot. Weed is everywhere when you're up at the ski resorts, but it wasn't in your face as much in Denver.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
We're going to have a harder time finding places that are have LITTLE tolerance.

I live in Chicago and hardly know anyone who DOESN'T smoke pot if it's put in front of their face. People at my accounting job downtown use to freely sell it to me. The people at the rehab place in front of my condo smoke it every day sitting out on the busy sidewalk. No one even bats an eye. My current boss said in front of a group the other day "god I just need a hit right now" and everyone laughed.
I think you're just used to living in the Upper Midwest where weed use isn't stigmatized like it is in other parts of the country. Nevada has the harshest MJ laws in the nation. Simple paraphernalia possession like a dirty pipe or weed stem is a felony.

Quote:
I think in Chicago they also downgraded possessing a small amount to the equivilent of a traffic ticket.
It's the same in Milwaukee and Madison. MJ possession of less than 112g is only a $100 ticket and doesn't even go on your criminal record.

Quote:
Growing up in a college town like Iowa City it was damn near everywhere. My parents smoked it, I smoked it, my friends smoked it. It's still hippieville there in that regards.
I think every person I've ever met from IA smokes weed. My roommate in Denver was from West Des Moines and could smoke with the best of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.