Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida Southern in Culture?
Yes 8 34.78%
No 2 8.70%
Just Northern Florida 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM

287 posts, read 498,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Can a true southerner come on here and shut this guy up :P. Just like "Eastcoast" has its own culture and way of life so does the south and rather your traveling east or your traveling south RESPECT IT! even if you dont know, understand or appreciate what it is.
I am willing to bet any opinion of so called " culture" for the South is nothing more then stereotypes. I am waiting for someone to prove me wrong on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
I would say so, even south (west), and central FL can be very southern influenced.

Go to Arcadia, Alva, and Labelle and tell me you don't feel like you're in the deep south.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM

64 posts, read 205,087 times
yes I do think so

Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 PM

410 posts, read 833,202 times
Not South Florida (Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County); few people here are actually from Florida and the culture is not truly Southern at all. When you get further north, it is Southern as you meet more natives and a different lifestyle/culture.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Not South Florida (Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County); few people here are actually from Florida and the culture is not truly Southern at all. When you get further north, it is Southern as you meet more natives and a different lifestyle/culture.
I'll be sure to alert my family that's born and raised in Dade and Broward that they are no longer Southern because they always thought they were.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM

410 posts, read 833,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'll be sure to alert my family that's born and raised in Dade and Broward that they are no longer Southern because they always thought they were.
Sure, but they are not representative of most of South Florida. By the way, that was just an observation, not a judgement since I have offended you. Did not mean to, was just responding.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Being native to Florida does not southern make. Most of the people I know who were born in Florida were born to northern or mid western parents and therefore exhibit culture more similar to those places. Even people I knew growing up who's family was originally from Florida (for multiple generations), were beginning to "neutral out" due to the large influence of northerners in this state. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't classify Florida as southern, because it is in the south. I'm also not saying "southern culture =insert random stereotype here." I just want folks to consider that in many parts of Florida, most of the people one might know are from somewhere else. All that mixing dilutes one cultures prevalence over another and gives the area sorta a transient, come as you are appeal. Oh and most of the people I've encountered in Central or South Florida with southern accents moved here from places like NC, SC, or GA to be near the ocean, escape crazy families, or whatever their personal reason may be.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM

166 posts, read 612,100 times
I think what some people need to also realize is that up until around the middle of the 20th century, Florida, far and away, had the SMALLEST population of any southern stae despite its large, geographic size. The majority of the growth in the Miami, Tampa and Orlando is due largely (especially in South Florida's case) due to Hispanic immigration (mostly Cuban and Puerto Rican) and people from the Northeast who mostly settled in South Florida and Midwesterners who fled to the Bay area. Orlando seems to be a mix between the two regions.

For what it's worth, I was born in New Jersey but raised largely in a small town 1 hour south of Nashville, TN. I have family in the Orlando area, and I always say taht once we pass Gainesville on the interstate, I'm in New Jersey, except there are palm trees and alligators.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Being native to Florida does not southern make. Most of the people I know who were born in Florida were born to northern or mid western parents and therefore exhibit culture more similar to those places. Even people I knew growing up who's family was originally from Florida (for multiple generations), were beginning to "neutral out" due to the large influence of northerners in this state. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't classify Florida as southern, because it is in the south. I'm also not saying "southern culture =insert random stereotype here." I just want folks to consider that in many parts of Florida, most of the people one might know are from somewhere else. All that mixing dilutes one cultures prevalence over another and gives the area sorta a transient, come as you are appeal. Oh and most of the people I've encountered in Central or South Florida with southern accents moved here from places like NC, SC, or GA to be near the ocean, escape crazy families, or whatever their personal reason may be.
Yeah... I feel the same way, I am FL native but never considered myself southern. Both my parents were from "the North" first gen. I know many other Floridians who want absolutely nothing to do with the south. Floridian? sure, southern? no. My mom's side of the family immigrated to Chicago, my dad's side of the family is from Boston and New York off the boat from Ireland around 1890. They came to FL in the 70s to live the beach life and property was apparently cheap back then. That being said FL is the south still.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah... I feel the same way, I am FL native but never considered myself southern. Both my parents were from "the North" first gen. I know many other Floridians who want absolutely nothing to do with the south. Floridian? sure, southern? no. My mom's side of the family immigrated to Chicago, my dad's side of the family is from Boston and New York off the boat from Ireland around 1890. They came to FL in the 70s to live the beach life and property was apparently cheap back then. That being said FL is the south still.
Exactly. However I was born to parents from Chicago and Detroit so I basically grew up as a displaced Mid-Westerner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.