U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,679 times

Advertisements

So here's my story:

I'm 23 years old and I've been back in the country for a few months now. I've been living in Australia for the last 14 years but am originally from the US and decided to move back here for a while earlier this year. I'm sort of trying to figure out what it is I really want to do with my life

I came to Austin, TX to see if I'd like it enough to consider living here and have decided that it's not for me and I'm not prepared to commit significant funds to living here since I'm having strong doubts that this is the place for me.

So I'm looking for somewhere else to go and see if its somewhere I'd like better/want to move instead.

My criteria are as follows:

I want to be somewhere that I will be able to meet a lot of other young people and that has plenty of fun, interesting stuff to do.

I'm big into sports and outdoors activities (Rock Climbing, White Water Rafting, Skiing/Snowboarding), so if all of these could be reasonably accessible, that'd be great! If I could also manage to incorporate this into my work, that would be great! I've had previous experience as a Ropes Course/Rock Climbing Instructor.

I'd prefer to be somewhere on/near the East Coast for convenience sake when I want to visit friends who live up and down the coast, but not too far north as I don't deal with freezing cold weather all that well. Some cold is ok as long its not ridiculous.

I don't want to be anywhere too small but at the same time I don't want to be in a bustling metropolis

I'm not terribly fussed as for what my first job will be when I arrive in wherever I decide to go is, as it will just be something to give me more time to find something more suitable.

Helpful suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by thedingo; 08-16-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 AM

127 posts, read 297,387 times
North Carolina----Raleigh perhaps?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 AM

24,933 posts, read 39,248,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
North Carolina----Raleigh perhaps?
Almost, but I would recommend further to the west in Greensboro-Winston Salem. The metro area is around the same size as Raleigh-Durham yet often overlooked for some reason. It's a nice area close to the mountains and has a mild four season climate, and better yet a low cost of living.

Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston-Salem

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM

2,586 posts, read 8,764,551 times
With the exception of the east coast criteria, I'd suggest Denver and areas just west towards Breckenridge. I think you'd find that area very much to your liking. Even though Denver is a big city, it has never felt like a "bustling metropolis" the way DC, Philly, Chicago, NYC, etc... do. While not close enough for a drive, you can easily fly direct from Denver to most major cities in the US.

Other considerations (on the east coast):

The Asheville or Boone areas of western NC.

Charlottesville, VA

Knoxville or Chattanooga, TN

If the resort areas aren't too much of a small town setting for you, there are spots all over West Virginia that might work.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,904,964 times
if you hadnt mentioned the cold, i would have suggested Pittsburgh, but if that is too cold for you, i would look into the NC mountain area where the field you are looking into would work our well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.