Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

73,001 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Okay, at least you admitted it. One thing though, I don't get how "y'all" (a very legit contraction) can be frowned upon by many but saying "youse" & "youse guys" can be alright??? The only time that that the word "youse" was used prevalently in ATL was when people heard HO by Luda (it adds emphasis too). To me, "youse guys" is saying nobody because the "youse" is already trying hard to be plural and "guys" is plural; it's worse than saying "all y'all." It also sounds like slave language to me. Sorry for the rant though.

For the record, I'm not dissing you. My father's from the lower Midwest and always uses "y'all." Do they really say "youse" in Wisconsin or is your mother from the NEast?
My mother isn't from the northeast and they don't say youse in Wisconsin. I picked that up from other people. The thing about me is that all of my years living in the South, I never picked up a Southern accent, or many of the Southernisms. I never did for some reason. Then again, alot of the people I was hanging out with were not from Georgia. In fact, I have a few friends from Boston who lived in my subdivision. I was the type of kid who wanted to hang around persons who liked similar things as me, who were similar in personality as me, if not exactly like me. That and having a father from the Midwest influenced me. My mother is from the Deep South, but she spent some time in Minnesota, so any southern accent she had was gone after a while. Once in a while my parents would use the word "y'all" but as I got older, it gradually got to where I would hardly ever hear them use the word. I can't remember using that word myself. I just said whatever sounded right to me.

I had a very interesting development as far as my personality and mannerisms are concerned. I moved to alot of places, saw many things, but sort of did my own thing.

In short, I never really assimilated to anything and after a while, I became kind of this anomaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Pirate_lafitte, you may think you don't have a southern accent, but you probably do. It may not be as strong as some people down there, but I'll bet you it's still there.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:12 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I've been all over United States I have never heard anyone saying you all. It's either y'all or you guys.

Apparently it is only used in two states.

PS. I don't guarantee the accuracy of this map
According to the map, only one state says "you" by itself. Depending on the context, "you'' can be plural or singular. For example, in a classroom of 20 people and the teacher speaking to the whole class and say " I want you to solve this Algebra equation written on the board".

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-17-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
According to that, only one state says "you" by itself. Depending on the context, "you'' can be plural or singular. For example, in a classroom of 20 people and the teacher speaking to the whole class and say " I want you to solve this Algebra equation written on the board".
Even in a Southern classroom, that would not be unheard of. "You" used in the plural is not uncommon down here, in certain contexts, like the example you used.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM

73,001 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Pirate_lafitte, you may think you don't have a southern accent, but you probably do. It may not be as strong as some people down there, but I'll bet you it's still there.
I have been told my midwesterners, and even Canadians that I don't have a southern accent. I've even listened to my own voice on a recording.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,326 times
I'm originally from AR and ya'll was automatic there. When I lived in New Orleans it wasn't used as much, although it was used all the time in other parts of LA (like Shreveport, etc.). I'm transplanted to CA and I don't ever hear it except in areas where the family roots are from the south. I'll hear it more often in Oakland than in SF. There are lots of areas in the States where Southerners relocated; you'll still here it when you are in those areas. And to further add confusion - I don't think it's a replacement for "you" - it's slightly different. I never heard a teacher say "Ya'll go do that algebra problem on the board".

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdenca View Post
I'm originally from AR and ya'll was automatic there. When I lived in New Orleans it wasn't used as much, although it was used all the time in other parts of LA (like Shreveport, etc.). I'm transplanted to CA and I don't ever hear it except in areas where the family roots are from the south. I'll hear it more often in Oakland than in SF. There are lots of areas in the States where Southerners relocated; you'll still here it when you are in those areas. And to further add confusion - I don't think it's a replacement for "you" - it's slightly different. I never heard a teacher say "Ya'll go do that algebra problem on the board".
of course they wouldn't say that. That sounds like the teacher is telling all the students to go up the board to do the problem...

but Chicagoland60426's example does make sense to me, and could very well be heard in the South:

"I want you to solve this Algebra equation written on the board"

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I've lived in Georgia over thirty years, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm not trolling, kid.

By the way, who would know how the majority of a population pronounces "y'all"? A native southerner, or someone living in NYC?
lol @ calling me kid.
anyway gramps, i used to live in the south and i've lived in more than one southern state. i also have fam from the south that currently live in the south. i'm only talking about what i know from my experiences. like i said in the vid/audio, being that you're a southerner, you are less likely to be able to "hear" how you sound and how others around you sound but to somebody from outside of the south, that is how you pronounce ya'll.

and i've heard white ppl say yaowll as well.

like i said in the audio, IMHO its a class thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I think that you have a point. Now that I think about it, I do think that I have heard some black people say y'all in that manner, usually in an almost non-decipherable manner, as though they are speaking quickly, as in "What'll yao doing hiyere".

However, I have never heard a white southerner pronounce y'all in such a manner. It is either y'all (rhyming with wall) or yawl (rhyming with drawl).
oh so now your memory is kicking back in, right? old age is a b, ya'll.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I hear that pronunciation of "yall" with Southern African Americans, but not Southern Whites usually. I think that's where the confusion came from.

Southern Blacks- Yao
Southern Whites- Yawl

That's how it generally is around Memphis^ I can't say that it's like that across the South though.
That's how it is in Texas as well in regards to both groups.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM

5 posts, read 11,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
of course they wouldn't say that. That sounds like the teacher is telling all the students to go up the board to do the problem...

but Chicagoland60426's example does make sense to me, and could very well be heard in the South:

"I want you to solve this Algebra equation written on the board"
Yup that was the point I was making
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.