Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

I know this is all anecdotal but some of the nicest people I ever met were in Nebraska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
I've lived in quite a few states and another country and from what I can tell there are nice people everywhere. Its the nitwits in between that are the problem.

:^p

Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 AM

7 posts, read 36,152 times
Does anyone know whether the Vineyard or the Cape are especially friendly? I have lived in Maine 13 years and am a trifle worn out from a slight harshness towards outsiders. My family are all in the arts so perhaps we are oversensitive.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
From personal experience: Albuquerque, Denver, and Minneapolis.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM

436 posts, read 908,264 times
I would say Montana.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I been to the south a few times and I find it very friendly

I'm from Minnesota and I find a lot of friendly people here, the cashiers at Target and Wal-mart and all those big stores are very nice and chatty. This lady at target was nice and asked how my day was going. She asked me if I was a Vikings fan and if I heard about the Brett Favre news

Also up north there is so much even friendlier people. We go up north every year and we went shopping in some small towns and everyone waves and says hi to each other even though there complete strangers

And when I go to a Vikings game or a Twins game the fans are nice. Every time I go to a game the people I sit by always ask where I'm from and greet themselves and they are pretty chatty too lol

Also id like to point out this story about a Floridian visiting Minnesota and he thinks Minnesota is the nicest.

Minnesotans — the nicest people on earth? – Taking Names the Blog – Orlando Sentinel
Sorry I fixed your post. You had a lot of run on sentences going there. You need to remember to capitalize the beginning of a sentence, and use periods. (sorry, I feel like a teacher!)
Anyways, I would say the north has much more friendlier people than say, LA or NY. Having said that, people in the NE, the "rust belt" are much less friendly. Maybe the economy has something to do with that.
The south has really friendly people, but only if you belong to a certain church/political party etc. For some of them, once they find out you're not a republican/democrat/christian/baptist whatever...... the friendliness does seem to wear off slightly.
Just my .02

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
I've lived in much-lauded-for-friendliness Iowa and people in small towns in California (Sacramento Valley, Sierra Nevada Gold County, etc...) are every bit as friendly and chatty to strangers. Maybe more so.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Freds Lounge in Mamou, La.

Seriously, there are nice people anywhere. There are assclowns everywhere. The trick is to avoid the latter.
Wow, I haven't seen the term assclown for a long time....
Thanks for bringing it back.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
I would say Texas.

Texas people greet you with an open smile.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I been to the south a few times and i find it very friendly

i'm from Minnesota and i find alot of friendly people here, the cashiers at target and wal mart and all those big stores are very nice and chatty. this lady at target was nice and asked how my day was going and she asked me if i was a Vikings fan and if i heard about the Brett Favre news

also up north there is so much even friendlier people, we go up north every year and we went shopping in some small towns and everyone waves and says hi to eachother even though there complete strangers

And when i go to a Vikings game or a Twins game the fans are nice everytime i go to a game the people i sit by always ask where im from and greet themselves and they are pretty chatty too lol

also id like to point out this story about a Flordian visiting Minnesota and he thinks Minnesota is the nicest

Minnesotans — the nicest people on earth? – Taking Names the Blog – Orlando Sentinel
My experience is the South is very stranger friendly, chatty as long as you are dealing with natives. If you are in an area with a lot of transplants, I don't think it's as friendly. People bring their old aloof/distant/rude habits to the new location. I didn't realize it until I made a trip back to Long Island, two years ago and saw the difference in the stores, food places, motel, etc., compared to those same types of workers where I live now that are native southerners. Here, everybody and anybody will chat you up anyplace, anytime if they are natives. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.