Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I would say Texas.

Texas people greet you with an open smile.
I find this hard to believe. Maybe the women smile a lot (and this applies to every region), but the men? If a man randomly smiles at a woman, she's liable to slap him, and if a man randomly smiles at a man, well I guess the most frequent response would be puzzlement . Is Texas really different in this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM

371 posts, read 597,126 times
Based on being a Texan and years and years of experience, I would say Texas. (Our second nickname is The Friendly State by the way)

Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I'll never understand why people find superficial kindness a positive. It irritates me to no end. I don't want a store clerk to be overly friendly, just efficient, pleasant & not rude. Fake friendly makes my skin crawl.
If I frequent a store & we become familiar, great. We can develop a rapport . Otherwise, make my purchase speedy. I will say thank you, you will say your welcome & life goes on.
I agree. Here in the bay area, superficial kindness is an epidemic, and it can be quite annoying.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM

410 posts, read 832,714 times
I would have to say Texans.....

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
No one better say Connecticut, rudest people on earth.
And Oklahoma...meanest/hillbilliest folks around.

I should know, I'm one of 'em.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
In my experience:
Texas
North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham area)
Ohio (small towns only; I don't find the Cincinnati-Dayton area to be that friendly, however.)
California (long-time natives/residents or small town folks; West LA/West Hollywood and San Francisco are NOT friendly, however.)

Although I've never been to Iowa, I've found the Iowans that I've met to be quite friendly. Honorable mentions to go the Minneapolis-St. Paul and Seattle-Tacoma areas and northern Wisconsin (although, again, I've not been to those places).

Now, there are some places that are reputed to be friendly that really aren't so overall in my experience. Indiana (especially!!!), Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, and, to a lesser extent, my home state of Kentucky are five such examples.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-05-2011 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,796,574 times
From traveling outside my state ive found the friendliest people seem to be in Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana. Rudest by far are from the northeast, especially southern New England. I had one so bold out there that when he learned I was from Michigan he said, "we dont like people from the midwest". (he was from Mass) Californians are not very friendly either, but they dont quite reach the level of unpleasantness you find in the yankee northeast.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Off all the states I have been too, Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee and Utah seem to have the genuinely nicest people i've met.

New York has the most gregarious.
I moved to Lansing, Michigan a little over a year ago. Shortly after I moved got a flat tire and moved my car to a parking lot. After checking out the situation for a couple of minutes a guy came up to me and asked "Can I help you?". This guy was a total stranger but he was nice enough to drive me back to my house and wait while I got some tools to change my flat. In the past year I'm constantly impressed at how just plain nice and decent the people in the Lansing area are. It's made living here a very pleasant experience.

I've also lived in Texas which is another state with friendly people.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM

387 posts, read 870,787 times
Having been to the US many times as a tourist .... friendly people were everywhere.
However, I think Texas is probably the #1 friendliest place I have ever been to

Old 03-26-2016, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 735 times
I say Missouri hands down. Texas has individuals that are pompous, and Illinois is just plain rude and disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.