Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM

57 posts, read 146,673 times

Advertisements

Not sure that I am actually going to move at this stage but I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what cities/areas sound like they would be a good fit.

Would like mild winters and preferably mild summers, but would rather mild winters than summers if I had to choose. Would want to be in an area that is moderate to liberal politically. I also want to live in an area that is reasonably affordable (am currently in Boston). I would also like to be in an area that has a good school system for children (don't have any yet, but would like to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Both mild winters and mild summers and somewhat liberal politics: I understand many areas of the West Coast have both mild winters and mild summers-- from central California up thru Oregon and Washington. The downside is that parts of CA have a high cost of living -- and WA and OR have a lot of rain / mist as well as high unemployment. But I'm far from being an expert on the West Coast. Others have much better knowledge than I.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,721 times
Yeah the west coast seems right. I live in Portland. The winters are grey and dreary. It drizzles like everyday in the winter but never rains so hard that an umbrella is needed. Snows maybe a week a year if we get lucky. The summers are nice. Schools are good, and very little crime. Very liberal so no need to worry about that. However if I were you I would consider northern California. Bay area is way more interesting and slightly better weather. More crime and the schools aren't always great, but there's always something to do. I used to live in the east bay and it was very nice.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie0930 View Post
Not sure that I am actually going to move at this stage but I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what cities/areas sound like they would be a good fit.

Would like mild winters and preferably mild summers, but would rather mild winters than summers if I had to choose. Would want to be in an area that is moderate to liberal politically. I also want to live in an area that is reasonably affordable (am currently in Boston). I would also like to be in an area that has a good school system for children (don't have any yet, but would like to).
Chapel Hill-Carrboro, North Carolina.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Research Triangle Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Average Weather for Chapel Hill, NC - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie0930 View Post

Austin, Texas

Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I'm thinking West Coast.

Tacoma, WA
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
San Diego, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.