Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
boy, you can get dizzy reading this thread.. Texas is too this and too that, not enough this and not enough that..
as far as heat, I'm loving the global warming we're having. Rainfall is up 10"+ over normal so far this year and it's currently 84, which is about 10 degrees below normal.. and probably cooler than most other states in the US
Best part of Texas is affordable housing. I live in 2700 sq. ft. 4 bed 3 full bath house on about 1/3 acre of land and in a good neighborhood. It cost me around $140K in 2002 (closer to $200K this year). now how many places can do something like that? and have a population in the top 10 of the country.. I'm thinking you'll need zero fingers for that bit of math
I'm not saying I love Texas either, hell, if I won the lotto today I'd move to Michigan tomorrow.. but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be before I moved here. I used to call it my most hated state even though I had only visited Dallas once as a small boy and drove through 40 and 10 a few times.. I even learned a second language so I wouldn't have to go to work here (an ironic story in itself), but all in all I'm pretty glad I did. I like having a nice house finally, something I never could've done while living in San Diego or Monterey, and the price for everything else (except fruit and vegetables) seems to be cheaper too, especially gas, even though it's nasty expensive still, especially with two cars that run premium only..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
It's just a defensive attitude that Texans exhibit about their state not only in geography but in every aspect.

I read the craziest post a while back about a guy from Waco who came to Dallas to buy a vehicle. The guy was robbed of his cash, shot, and killed when he met the "would be" seller. To me this is very tragic, but a defensive Texan actually said something to the effect that she wasn't saying the boy deserved it, but people need to use their heads. No, the 20 year old kid didn't deserve it; he only thought he was making a transaction that many of us are guilty of making in about the same way at one time or another. When I read the post, I was incredulous; it seemed as though the poster was actually defending the crime in Dallas and blaming the poor young man that it happened. That is totally nuts!!
Thanks for taking my comment out of context. Why don't you tell the whole story? Here is my EXACT comment on 6/04/2007:

"I heard about that this morning. Then I had to wonder why in the world would anyone thinking straight go meet a stranger (or more) carrying cash at that time of night? I don't want to say the guy deserved it at all but if he would have used a small bit of common sense..........."

This had to do w/ a young man that came to Dallas from a smaller city just south of here in the middle of the night to meet some other guys to buy a car w/ cash in a bad part of town. Yes, I've bought cars before from individuals but the BIG difference is I don't do it in the middle of the night in a bad part of town. Geez...............

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-09-2007 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM

87 posts, read 383,279 times
One thing to remember is that the population of Texas is about 24 million people and is still growing like a weed. Even with the intense heat, Texas is still the second most populous state in the U.S.

There will be people who always bash Texas just because it's Texas, but obviously it's not stopping herds of people from moving here.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Thanks for taking my comment out of context. Why don't you tell the whole story? Here is my EXACT comment on 6/04/2007:

"I heard about that this morning. Then I had to wonder why in the world would anyone thinking straight go meet a stranger (or more) carrying cash at that time of night? I don't want to say the guy deserved it at all but if he would have used a small bit of common sense..........."

This had to do w/ a young man that came to Dallas from a smaller city just south of here in the middle of the night to meet some other guys to buy a car w/ cash in a bad part of town. Yes, I've bought cars before from individuals but the BIG difference is I don't do it in the middle of the night in a bad part of town. Geez...............

Moderator cut: personal
If I took your intention of the post out of context, I apologize. What I read seemed very defensive and kind of mean, but sometimes when one reads something, he or she can make a mistake in interpreting the words just like when one talks to another, he or she doesn't really get what the person means. I have a friend who always says, "That's what you heard, not what you said."

Again though, who in his/her youth didn't make poor judgement decisions every now and then; unfortunately, this one cost the young man his life. Kids think of day and night synonymously and possibly, the poor kid hadn't a clue about the transaction being in a bad part of Dallas. I really doubt that crossed his mind.

Again, my apologies for misunderstanding your intentions of the post.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
One thing to remember is that the population of Texas is about 24 million people and is still growing like a weed. Even with the intense heat, Texas is still the second most populous state in the U.S.

There will be people who always bash Texas just because it's Texas, but obviously it's not stopping herds of people from moving here.
Of course there at lot people living here, look at the size of the state. And the cost of living is pretty cheap here too. But I wonder how many of those 24 million love it here.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Of course there at lot people living here, look at the size of the state. And the cost of living is pretty cheap here too. But I wonder how many of those 24 million love it here.
Well I can think of a couple hundred right off that I know of that can't dream of living anywhere else . I've been around the world and country (contrary to what a previous poster said about those being the most "defensive" of the state being the least traveled) and I do have the means to live anywhere else but I like........... LOVE where I live and can not imagine being anywhere else.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post

The "bashing," if you will, of Texas are only opinions in most cases, but some are actual facts. I have very often mentioned things against Texas, but I have also mentioned many good things. I try my best to back up the negatives and outlandish pride with true facts.

People on the Texas forum very often bash people from other states as well. They really don't want Yankees here or even worse, Californians.

If I leave Texas, there is much I would miss. I have many friends, family, and memories here. I would definitely miss the delightful Autumn and Winter, especially when it snows, and the Spring when everything begins to bloom. No, I would not miss the Summer although I've dealt with it for 28 years and if I live another 28, I may still be dealing with it. It is my opinion how I feel about the heat as it affects me adversely. Some can stay in it all day; I only wish I could. No, I will not miss the violent storms either.

I would greatly miss my home, yard, the greenery I've nutured for 20 years at this house, and the view I have out my back door where I can see for miles. I would be lost without my Live Oak tree. I would miss the sunsets and sunrises.

I am from CA and have mentioned often that's it's not a place I'd like to be anymore because it isn't the same as it was when I lived there. For that reason, I have often said that we were better off moving to Texas

Texas holds many memories for me because of the love of people I know and the love I have for my closest surroundings. I find much to admire here, but I'll never be full of Texas pride the way a Texan is. I'm an admirer, not prideful relating to anything.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
(contrary to what a previous poster said about those being the most "defensive" of the state being the least traveled)
Thank God I'm not guilty of that remark.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM

87 posts, read 383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You have to consider that 80 percent of the population lives in the eastern 2/3 of the state (along and east of 35). Yet Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are seeing huge gains in population, so I would venture to say that a lot of people like living in Texas. Would I say that Texas is perfect? Not by a long shot, but to me the pros outweighs the cons...at least for me.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Well I can think of a couple hundred right off that I know of that can't dream of living anywhere else . I've been around the world and country (contrary to what a previous poster said about those being the most "defensive" of the state being the least traveled) and I do have the means to live anywhere else but I like........... LOVE where I live and can not imagine being anywhere else.
Well how wonderful that you have a couple of hundred friends. You are very lucky to live in a place that you LOVE, I hope to do that someday too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.