Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sprawl Vs. Congestion
I hate using a car 36 65.45%
I like my space 23 41.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
What is that? Does it have a happy ending?

well it depends on if you like to drive or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM

287 posts, read 498,251 times
Thanks for answering the random date question. I still want general answers for the original topic also just to be clear.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well a cab is one long red light

but will agree like everything else there are probably good and bad parts on both aspects

I grew up in the burbs so have experienced both lifestyles, the older i get the more I prefer my current but neither is perfect unfortunately

ah and the rain and snow are the best actually, took me a while to figure those aspects out (slow learner). Adapatabilty is key though whether walking, driving, or in a cab, that I think we will agree on that...
Absolutely, and I agree, the older I get the more I'll like things to be closer together, the easier things become. I think Miami is drastically becoming into a very linked city, where they're focusing on that walkability factor. Just the vibe I got from them recently.

I like both rain and snow, but not when I'm getting wet, I stopped wearing shoes in general because the places I've lived have dealt with a lot of rain, nothing feels worse than having wet socks... absolutely one of the worst feelings there is, in my opinion.

This is the most horrific case of Traffic I've ever heard of, an hour is long enough, but 9 days... could you imagine that:
China's nine-day traffic jam stretches 100km - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100823/sc_afp/chinaroadtraffic - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
This is the most horrific case of Traffic I've ever heard of, an hour is long enough, but 9 days... could you imagine that:
China's nine-day traffic jam stretches 100km - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100823/sc_afp/chinaroadtraffic - broken link)
Just saw this on the news and I am not surprised. I spent a good chunk of the 00s working/living in various cities around Asia. Americans today have no idea what bad traffic, high density, violent slums look like.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Just saw this on the news and I am not surprised. I spent a good chunk of the 00s working/living in various cities around Asia. Americans today have no idea what bad traffic, high density, violent slums look like.
I'm Indian/Singaporean dude, trust me it doesn't get worse than any city in India.

Have you ever been in a place where they honk for everything, there are cows on the roads, and the roads, well they don't have lanes and well I guess this video will explain what I mean best:
Cow:
YouTube - Cow On the Loose
Roads:
YouTube - WHO LEFT THEIR COW IN THE ROAD - INDIA
The annoying honks:
YouTube - Delhi Traffic and Roads (India)

And if anyone else here has been to any city or any place in India, they'll be able to relate. Everytime I go there, I come back home to say "Thank god for Houston! or Chicago! or (insert name of any American city here)".

Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
having dinner a 45 second walk from your house has benefits
this cannot be stated enough. heh.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
I literally do like using my car and I literally do like my space. I like to have a massive house and a baller car and the opportunity to use it, because that is what it is for.

I also hate public transit, being around random people I don't know, some people who are annoying, some that aren't hygienically prepared for life, some of them that just randomly keep staring at you, and all the inconveniences you get of not being in charge of your own time. I'm sorry it is not my way of life, and you can't pay me enough to live life this way. In my opinion it is a terrible type of lifestyle. I just don't like crowded places, I don't like being around people that are weird, and theres always a few of them there... I just hate it, and I just simply hate how when its raining and you're using something like CTA that you're always at an inconvenience before and after you get on the train.

I don't mind traffic, gives me chance to play suduko on my phone, and possibly catch up with the lunch that I skipped earlier in the day. And did I mention, I like music control of my vehicle, I like air temperature control of my vehicle, I like being in control of my time, and I certainly love my car very much.
Sounds like you'd be happier in a small town or rural area.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Sounds like you'd be happier in a small town or rural area.
LOL no. Just in an auto-centric city with large freeways that resemble arteries, and a city with some massive skyline to drive by on a daily basis.

I do not do rural, but I don't like ultra dense. Low-moderate density, either that or wide and polished where people aren't literally a foot away from you while walking in downtown sidewalk after you are trying to recover from a headache or hangover.

I like space, but rural is too much. I need shops, I need multi-ethnic restaurants, public transit can be there, but I won't ever use it, I also like near coastal setting, and places with a good activities.

My ideal cities are pretty much everything in the sunbelt due to layout. Miami is the exception that I do not like by layout in sunbelt. Chicago is the exception that I do like that is not in sunbelt. I hate taking CTA though, theres drug looking weirdos everytime I've taken the train, and in my opinion its a hassle. Thank god for water taxis & wide roadways downtown and easy walkable areas where people aren't all up in your ear with their damn annoying trash like talk, its spaced out yet still lively. I find it ideal.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
I'm Indian/Singaporean dude, trust me it doesn't get worse than any city in India.

Have you ever been in a place where they honk for everything, there are cows on the roads, and the roads, well they don't have lanes and well I guess this video will explain what I mean best:
Cow:
YouTube - Cow On the Loose
Roads:
YouTube - WHO LEFT THEIR COW IN THE ROAD - INDIA
The annoying honks:
YouTube - Delhi Traffic and Roads (India)

And if anyone else here has been to any city or any place in India, they'll be able to relate. Everytime I go there, I come back home to say "Thank god for Houston! or Chicago! or (insert name of any American city here)".
Oh I know. I've spent plenty of time in Mumbai. I was late to work on several occasions due to traffic caused by the following:

-Herd of cattle
-Herd of water buffalo
-A baby elephant
-A full grown adult elephant
-Herd of goats

I'm totally cool with the concept of not killing animals, but it was more than annoying when I was 30 minutes late for a meeting. The one cool thing though I could say is that I never once saw an accident there...kind of a minor miracle the way people drive/run out into the street/random herds of livestock. :P

Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
This was my commute (one way) for 6 years:

Bus: 1:00 - 1:30

Car: 0:15 - 0:30

And 95% of the time I had to take the bus. Public Transportation (minus the LIRR) in Queens is a joke compared to driving. Sure I'd love to stand up on 2 very slow buses that are illegally packed to the brim for over an hour, lol are you serious.

I do prefer sprawl over walkability, I like space. I've never really lived in a walkable area, even in NYC it was like a 10+ minute walk to the closest store which was a 99 cent store (which closed in 2009).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.