Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times

Advertisements

Looking for a charming southern city that still has some sort of urban vibe, as well as some beautiful natural scenery.

I grew up in an 'old style' suburb in the north, with gridded streets and a walkable business district. I'm looking for something at least as urban as that.

Please post pictures if you feel that they'd be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Charleston and Savannah have an urban feel, to be sure. In the city centers of both, they are walkable and relatively compact. They're also both beautiful and coastal.

I know Charleston much better than any of the other cities you named. Here's their tourism board website. Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC

Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Charleston and Savannah would be towns with walkable streets. I would add Nashville to the list, but you didn't ask about Nashville. And then there is Hilton Head Island. I did lots of walking there. They also have a lot of bicycles. Edisto Island has a lot of trails too. St. Augustine, Florida, has some really neat walking along the water.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:51 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
I agree with NCN, Nashville should be on that list before Knoxville. Don't get me wrong, I love living here in Knoxville, and our setting is gorgeous right here at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains. But if you want nice, walkable urban neighborhoods, sadly we don't have much of that in Knoxville.

If you like the size of Knoxville vs. Nashville, then check out Chattanooga. Chattanooga has some wonderful urban neighborhoods downtown and across the river from downtown. Plus, the city is surrounded by mountains; you can go from downtown to hanggliding and whitewater rafting in a half hour.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Charleston and Savannah are very refined & genteel. Knoxville is more scruffy and scrappy, which for me is a good thing. I don't know much about Birmingham but I understand it has an energetic business vibe, as does Nashville. Of course all these elements are found in all the cities, just in different proportions. The cost of living should be lowest in Knoxville or B'ham.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Looking for a charming southern city that still has some sort of urban vibe, as well as some beautiful natural scenery.

I grew up in an 'old style' suburb in the north, with gridded streets and a walkable business district. I'm looking for something at least as urban as that.

Please post pictures if you feel that they'd be helpful.

Thanks!
Here's My List Of Dynamite Southern Cities
1.Charleston SC
2.Savannah GA
3.Mobile Alabama if you like beautiful cities on the "Ocean"

4.Knoxville Tenn
5.Chattanooga Tenn
6.Columbia SC
7.Raleigh NC
8.Birmingham Alabama if you want beautiful southern cities without
Ocean frontages and views...

Last edited by Howest2008; 02-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree with NCN, Nashville should be on that list before Knoxville. Don't get me wrong, I love living here in Knoxville, and our setting is gorgeous right here at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains. But if you want nice, walkable urban neighborhoods, sadly we don't have much of that in Knoxville.

Hmm, wow I didn't know that. Thanks.

I just wonder if Nashville has comparable natural scenery to the other cities I mentioned.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Hmm, wow I didn't know that. Thanks.

I just wonder if Nashville has comparable natural scenery to the other cities I mentioned.
Well, Nashville isn't in the mountains like Knoxville, and it's not on a coast like Savannah and Charleston. It's surrounded by green rolling hills. There are a couple of large lakes just outside of town and a small lake right in the middle of town surrounded by a state natural area. But it's a big city, nearly 1.5 million in the sprawling metro area, nearly double what it was 30 years ago. The beautiful rolling hills around Nashville are being developed fairly quickly.

I really think you should check out Chattanooga. It's about the same size as Knoxville, Charleston and Savannah, it's right IN the mountains, it's got a very livable, historic and walkable downtown area, plus it's only 100 miles from Nashville or Atlanta for those times when you just have to go to a big city.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 PM

bump for more info

Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Birmingham's a pretty great town. It doesn't get the pub that Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte do, but it's really making some strides. Really strong, broad-based economy, surprisingly good cultural scene, and nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.