Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 PM

224 posts, read 458,204 times

Advertisements

America’s Ten Dead Cities: From Detroit To New Orleans - 24/7 Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
They put Atlantic City on the list but not Camden?!?! Something fishy there.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
Ack! I've lived in two of those cities (Hartford and Albany). In general, if things said in these forums about those cities listed are somewhat true, then the list seems to be pretty factual.

I do question New Orleans, though, since it is a very unique city. Maybe Katrina was just too much for it, but maybe as time goes on, who knows?

Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Yeah, New Orleans doesn't belong on that list. It will come back. Too much potential. Southbound, few people who aren't from NJ have ever heard of Camden. I don't think it ever was a great city so there wasn't much of a decline! And that ain't saying much.

Last edited by chuckles34; 08-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I do feel bad for Hartford. At one time it was one of those places where everything was happening all at the same time, there was a huge influx of people to fill lots of really good-paying jobs, real estate prices were going through the roof, and they had landed the NHL Whalers as the state's first professional sports team. Buildings were being torn down to make room for bigger buildings. There were plans on the table to build the tallest building on the East Coast there. Then, the recession hit, company after company failed and/or laid off huge numbers of employees, and it all fell apart.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Yeah, New Orleans doesn't belong on that list. It will come back. Too much potential. Southbound, few people who aren't from NJ have ever heard of Camden. I don't think it ever was a great city so there wasn't much of a decline! And that ain't saying much.
Actually, I've talked to older people who have told about Camden. it was once a very nice town with a busy port.

My family moved to South Jersey in 1964 & it was on the skids then, pretty bad. In retrospect, that wasn't so bad. It just seemed really bad. Camden used to be my county seat, so I have had to go in there. Maybe they decided not to put it on the list because it's beyond dead.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Albany isn't that bad and the metro has a 6.6% umemployment rate. So, Albany being listed surprised me.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I do feel bad for Hartford. At one time it was one of those places where everything was happening all at the same time, there was a huge influx of people to fill lots of really good-paying jobs, real estate prices were going through the roof, and they had landed the NHL Whalers as the state's first professional sports team. Buildings were being torn down to make room for bigger buildings. There were plans on the table to build the tallest building on the East Coast there. Then, the recession hit, company after company failed and/or laid off huge numbers of employees, and it all fell apart.
Hartford seems to be another city that surprised me. I know there has been some crime issues in recent years, but there is still quite a bit of wealth there and the area's unemployment rate is just under the national average at 9.1%.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Oh please, Hartford is not the 3rd fastest dying city in America. I mean 3rd? It's not even dying, but 3rd? Who wrote this? It lost something like 50,000 people since 1950, that's not exactly huge, especially compared to Detroit's more than half of it's almost 2 million. Not to mention, pretty much every city in the North lost population since the 50's and suburbanization, so that's not a special case. The city proper population started growing again in recent years and leveled off with the recession while the metro area continues to grow and has been since the 50's. And it lost some jobs, yeah, unlike every other city in the world in the last 2 years I guess. If this qualifies as dying, and 3rd best no less, we're all in trouble.

(Two topics on the same list, so I'll post twice lol)

Old 08-26-2010, 05:25 PM

554 posts, read 1,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany isn't that bad and the metro has a 6.6% umemployment rate. So, Albany being listed surprised me.
I am soooo NOT surprised albany is on the list. I came from Albany area - the capital district really and I lived in a nice neighborhood...but I went to SUNY Albany and lived right in the ghetto of Albany for years, it's dead, trust me! It needs serious SERIOUS work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.