Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM

9 posts, read 14,964 times

Advertisements

So, I have been on this site before looking for information on teaching in inner city, urban schools. Just this past year I was offered a job through a program that puts new teachers in urban schools across the country. Originally I was going to be teaching in San Antonio, but there was a conflict with my diploma being completed on time and I was deferred a year. So, I now have a month to re-choose my city of choice.

Here are the following cities that I am tossing around in my head: DC, Boston, Atlanta, Nashville, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Chicago.

I loved the thought of going to San Antonio at first, but my life has taken a bit of new direction, plus I just don't know if I could handle the heat, the loss of my four seasons.

I figured it'd be best to get back on this site and find out what people who live across the country think of these cities.

Here's what I'm looking for. A big city, with that big city feel. I want the hustle and bustle, the car horns honking, people all over the streets, a great night life in which you can stay out until all hours of the morning and know things are going to be open. I want a city of active people, a city where I can walk across town if I want to on a nice day, good sports fans, and great places to eat. I'm a big wing freak, so a city with some slammin hot wings is a plus. I want to live downtown, where the action is. The bigger the buildings, the better. I have heard that there are a lot of cities that are basically just big suburbs with some big buildings thrown in the middle. I don't really want that. I'm also looking for a place with 4 seasons, where the people aren't overly apprehensive to small talking a stranger on a bus, with a good entertainment district with live music, clubs, and shows.

Some things about me just to give you a feel for what I might enjoy in a city. I'm 22, single, love professional sports, avid runner, love to paint and draw, I enjoy history, museums, and I like to do active things. Also love going out and bar hopping, what 22 year old doesn't! haha.

I've lived in DC for a semester during college, and i loved it. I enjoyed the centralized city, the bustling neighborhoods that sat in the shadows of the capital building, the metro, the busy streets and the urban feel to the city. However, I already know that I like DC, but I'm not gonna limit myself to just going there. That's where this thread comes in. I wanna know what the other cities I have listed are like, and if they fit what I want. If they do, that'd be great, if not, well then it just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for the help ahead of time, and I appreciate any feedback I get!

Take care and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Chicago for sure, with Boston and DC a tier below. The other cities you listed don't really have the density/big city feel that you want.

Based on your criteria you might also want to consider Philly. Also, I assume you are not considering New York City and San Francisco due to the high cost of living, because they also would obviously be good for vibrant city life.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Chicago is #1, DC and Boston tied for #2.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,964 times
Hey 5 Lakes, thanks for the feedback!

I currently live in central PA, right around Harrisburg. I visit Philly pretty often since it's an hour and a half hop down the road. I'm not really a big fan of Philly, probably because I've grown up always going down there, so that's why it's not on my radar.

Also, you hit the nail on the head. NYC and San Fran are just way too expensive, and I'm not really sure I want to move from coast to coast. NYC would be fun but there's no way I could afford the apartment and live by myself. I'm done with the roommate scene, haha, college was enough.

Thanks for the comment though, I appreciate it.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
Hi,
Sounds like Atlanta just may be the place for you. It has a lot of what you're looking for and housing is really affordable. Also, quite a few marathons are held here annually so that's an added bonus.

All The Best

Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
You won't get that big city feel unless you're in NY or Chicago.

NYC teachers do pretty well. My daughter bought a house a year ago in her 3rd year of teaching. Before that she was living in her own apartments and doing fine. You don't need to have a roommate since the teachers there do well. Starting NYC teachers make around $48,000 a year and top out at 100,000.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw5048 View Post
Hey 5 Lakes, thanks for the feedback!

I currently live in central PA, right around Harrisburg. I visit Philly pretty often since it's an hour and a half hop down the road. I'm not really a big fan of Philly, probably because I've grown up always going down there, so that's why it's not on my radar.

Also, you hit the nail on the head. NYC and San Fran are just way too expensive, and I'm not really sure I want to move from coast to coast. NYC would be fun but there's no way I could afford the apartment and live by myself. I'm done with the roommate scene, haha, college was enough.

Thanks for the comment though, I appreciate it.

Chicago is much cheaper and larger than either DC or Boston (Both are about the size of Philly to a little smaller), Chicago is bigger, somewhere between NYC and Philly probably closer to Philly in the middle somewhere on size, but of these is least costly. Atlanta is a decent size city on feel and another more cost efficient option and feels bigger every year

Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Chicago has some great deals on downtown apartments right now, as well as has everything else you're looking for in a city. I'd put that at the top of the list.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM

27 posts, read 28,596 times
Chicago is the obvious choice for you out of your choices. You might want to look at Baltimore. Very gritty, and urban.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire's Shadow View Post
Chicago is the obvious choice for you out of your choices. You might want to look at Baltimore. Very gritty, and urban.
I'd rank St. Louis and Minneapolis, cities already on her list, over Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.