Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times

Advertisements

You might consider the Santa Fe area. It is a little pricey, but has lots of amenities and has a decent ski area very nearby. Plus, you aren't far at all from excellent skiing at Taos, Red River, and even Durango (which I believe is very underrated). I think it would be a good fit for you politically as well. Some of the Santa Fe establishment tend to close themselves off from outsiders, but they will warm up to you over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,058 times
Default I had been considering Tahoe . . .

perhaps (Truckee) but I am under the impression it is really expensive. While Frisco are the other few towns I listed are by no means cheap, the combo of real estate prices and taxes is probably too much for us.

Mammoth has tremendous skiing, but in addition to the expense strikes me as pretty hard to get to. I didn't specifically mention this in my original post, but we would be planning on maintaining some sort of residence on the East Coast as well, so would be doing some shuttling back and forth. Moreover, we're hoping to have family and friends visit often. An expensive and arduous flight to Sacramento followed by a 4+ hour car ride is a pretty big disincentive no matter how good the skiing!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 AM

65 posts, read 111,186 times
There are many new expensive areas in Truckee, but some housing deals in some of the "older" neighborhoods. I don't know the price range you are seeking, but it seems you would need a place with some room for family and friends. If you don't mind the higher snow level, Tahoe Donner is great and has wonderful amenities. and there are many other neighborhoods at a lower altitude that do not get the snowpack.

The Reno airport is a 45 minute drive from Truckee, and a bonus is Lake Tahoe is so close as well as many world class ski resorts. I would suggest checking out the website Trulia.com and net-cruise through the different areas.

If you find something that interests you, I know a great local real estate agent who skies with the best of 'em! Best of luck!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
I actually think Reno, NV would be perfect. It is relatively inexpensive. Great for outdoorsy stuff! Awesome kayaking, awesome dirtbiking, camping, boating, hiking, a half hour from tahoe, an up-and-coming downtown.

It may not have the best reputation, but it is perfect for what you're looking for.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM

100 posts, read 233,534 times
You might consider Cascade, Idaho (Tamarack). Tamarack is currently undergoing some financial based changes as it is a new resort that has struggled with bankruptcy, but my understanding is that they have excellent skiing and outdoor opportunities and a drop in property values might make it more affordable. Might be worth investigating....It is about 2 or 3 hours away from me, so someone closer might have more info. It is a rural, not urban area, however, and amenities are limited.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM

100 posts, read 233,534 times
You might also look at Sun Valley, Idaho for skiing with a community with less of a "conservative bent". Housing can be expensive in this area, though. It is a ski and outdoor getaway for more than a few celebrities.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 604 times
What is the best ski town in the world to retire cheaply. I have a very very small budget.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I second upstate NY. The Glens Falls area is an awesome town very close to some great outdoor attractions including top notch skiing. You are only 45 mins from Albany, and Vermont is within sight (literally). The Adirondacks have some amazing recreational opportunities, including IMO the best hiking in the East. The High Peaks Area of the Adirondacks are breathtaking. Glens Falls has pretty much everything you'd need, except for an airport (but Albany in only a short drive).

Next I would suggest Lewisburg or Elkins, WV.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 368 times
Stay on the east coast with the rest of the liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.