Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 AM

9 posts, read 34,219 times

Advertisements

I am an american citizen , i am married and i have a 7 months old baby girl. I was born and raised in Ohio and i did not like it there at all. I currently live and work in Africa, but i want to relocate my family to the states, because there is no social life here for them. Actually there is no life here whatsoever, just work. I have been reading a lot of threads for the last 2 days but i still cant make up my mind on where we should move?

Most importantly we would like to move to a city with low-crime rates and an excellent school system. I dont mind the cold since i was raised in Ohio, and i dont mind the heat because i have been in Africa for the last 8 years. So maybe a city with cold winters and hot summers will do fine.

I would prefer a city on the east coast because i will be travelling a lot to Africa for my work, and that makes it easier to travel then the mid-west or the west coast.

Money is not a problem, so i would prefer to live in a very good neighborhood. Perhaps even a gated community.

If i forgot to mention something to help you guide me the correct way, please ask me so i can add it.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Since you'll be flying to/from Africa from the US often, I would recommend Long Island, NY as it would place you close to the direct flights out of JFK. The schools are excellent and there are many nice towns/neighborhoods to choose from. I'd most recommend Rockville Centre. It's convenient to NYC via the Long Island Railroad and has a nice little downtown area full of shops/restaurants. It'd be a great place for a child to grow up in.

Rockville Centre, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you Kyle for your response, i will definitely be looking into Long Island. Any more suggestions so i can widen my reaserch a little bit?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
You might also look at Fairfax, Virginia. A plus to living there is the population diversity (a lot of international residents living/working in DC) and nationally-ranked public schools as well. It's quite safe and you're convenient to all of the cultural offerings of DC as well as Dulles Airport's international flights.

Fairfax, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Can you recommend other cities with bigger populations, 50k and up ?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Look into northern Virginia. It's a rich area with some of the best schools in the country and easy access to Dulles airport (non-stops to Africa), plus all the amenities of DC close by.

Start with:

Alexandria, VA pop. 140,000
Arlington, VA pop. 200,000

Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Something around Boston might work. You might like parts of Cambridge, Malden, Newton, Randolph, Milton, Weymouth and Lexington, among others.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Stamford, CT perhaps?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. But i'm still having a hard time to pick a state we can visit before we buy anything. After reading a lot of bad threads about the schools in a lot of cities, my number 1 priority now are the schools. We would like to relocate to a city/suburb with an excellent school district. It just makes more sense to us this way, i figured the better the school districts, the better the quality of life is. So my preferences are 1. excellent school district 2. new york or massachusetts 3. low crime 4. close to a major airport.

Thank you

Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,170,777 times
Definitely Weston, Massachusetts. One of the safest towns in MA and one of the best school districts in MA, roughly 15 miles from downtown Boston and 17 miles from Logan Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.