Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times

Advertisements

Don't even get me started.

I heard someone say there will never be another decade like it again. I concur. Suffice it to say, it's worth being in my 50's today in order to have come of age in that decade. Would'nt have missed it for the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 AM

591 posts, read 866,307 times
It was rather weird. Fashion was trying to be a re-invention of what they thought the Thirties was, but in a non-accurate way, color schemes of clothing were "strange", as were tie sizes, belt widths and shoes. Music was HORRIBLE!! you had to choose between Disco or Country. Total economic wreck, I lost half of my 25k stock portfolio inheritance in the market waiting for some stupid NY court to give me what should have been mine on my 21st birthday (got it 4 years later than the legal time) due to the Market implosion of 73-74. Gas lines and rationing, U.S. was on the verge of several mini-revolutions (Simbionese Liberation Army, Yippies, Chicago 7 etc., Angela Davis, Patty Hearst kidnapping, Manson trial), Watergate, Carter, the losing of the Vietnam War, the deposing of the Shah with the concomitant humiliation of U.S. prestige, wages were frozen and at a poor level, no decent jobs unless you were already in thick someplace, nouvelle cuisine had not been invented, most fast food and chain restaurants were greasy affairs, they still allowed smoking in restaurants and people actually smoked next to you while you were trying to eat. Inflation thru the roof, nobody I knew could afford a house, let alone live in their own hometown, what with real estate prices having gone up in my town by about 500% since HS. Crime was high, I personally was robbed at gunpoint and saw a guy get shot to death execution-style. I prayed to God Almighty that that decade could have been erased from human existence, but to no avail.....

In short, the worst of all possible worlds.......until THIS decade, which is the worst so far in our history not counting WW2. I've been around long enough to wonder if this time it's curtains......

Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,027 times
how much were daycare rates in the 70's? anyone know?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
The 70's, by almost all accounts sound 1000x better than the garbage times we are in these days

Everything is just so fake and lame these days.... music, tv, fashion, 24 hr news cycle, braindead people on cell phones, extreme high stress and anger everywhere

We have a nation of sick souls who need to find themselves these days

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
The '70s, along with the '60s, were definitely an explosion in technology. The Saturn V and space shuttle either were designed or flew in this time period. Giant airliners essentially with the capacity of the ones today like the L-1011, DC-10, and 747 were first introduced....lots of political and economic hardships..this is from reading history...I wasn't even born until the mid-80s, so I'm really not qualified to describe what it was like being alive then. Gas certainly was much lower.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Yep, the cost of gas was much lower, but once, in the mid seventies, there was a severe gas shortage. There were long, long lines to get gas and everyone had locking gas caps because people where siphoning/stealing gas out of cars left and right. Needed a key for the car and a key for the gas cap.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM

323 posts, read 529,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhite1 View Post
how much were daycare rates in the 70's? anyone know?

From my experience, daycare was not what it is today. Real neighbors kept an eye on your kids. There were lots of stay at home moms and grandmothers around as well as older teens. There was an abundance of summer programs and activities. There was little fear of your child not being safe like now. There was basically no charge or maybe a few bucks to teens.

Kids literally played outside until it got dark without a formal childcare system as is in place today.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Nobody who lived during the 1970's can honestly say they can recount it.

Everybody was strung out on something the whole decade.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times
It was an awesome time to be a young adult...

We began serious consideration of our affects on planet earth, had new, expressive and stunning music never before encountered (think Dylan, Joplin, Hendrix, Stones)

..found there were amazing new adventures, opening up & sharing of true feelings and... bizarre ideas never before presented to the world...

We thought that world peace might actually be possible....

there are worse times to have grow up in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
I'm young, born in 1989, so I know nothing about it.

But I always listen to 70's music, watch movies made in the 70's, and listen to my parents stories about it. I'm just wondering, how was the 70's like in America? It seemed much more peaceful back then than it is now. I wish I could go back in time and experience it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.