Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,748 times

Advertisements

Crime in NYC has been drastically reduced in the last few years but if you are a member of a minority (especially African-American) you don't want to have an incident where the police get involved. There is a lot of racial profiling here and many incidents of black men getting shot by the police under questionable circumstances.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
It has to be Jackson, MS, hands-down. The police force ARE the criminals.

We had an incident where the perputrator was caught on tape, full face, full vehicle, and the JPD said, "Well there's really nothing we can do"... yeah, probably because it was their brother or 2nd cousin!

An obvious drunk driver ran us off the road a few months ago so we immediately called JPD to report the car and tag number to get the idiot off the road, and the dispatcher told us that they could not run a tag number without a VIN number!!! Have you ever heard of such???

My husband's business has had numerous bullets come through the roof of their building. They call the JPD each time and they say, "We keep telling people to stop shooting their guns up in the air"...

Now I know Jackson is not a very big city, but the JPD cannot control the crime. That's why Jackson is crumbling from within and is going to implode.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
It has to be Jackson, MS, hands-down. The police force ARE the criminals.

We had an incident where the perputrator was caught on tape, full face, full vehicle, and the JPD said, "Well there's really nothing we can do"... yeah, probably because it was their brother or 2nd cousin!

An obvious drunk driver ran us off the road a few months ago so we immediately called JPD to report the car and tag number to get the idiot off the road, and the dispatcher told us that they could not run a tag number without a VIN number!!! Have you ever heard of such???

My husband's business has had numerous bullets come through the roof of their building. They call the JPD each time and they say, "We keep telling people to stop shooting their guns up in the air"...

Now I know Jackson is not a very big city, but the JPD cannot control the crime. That's why Jackson is crumbling from within and is going to implode.

There's also the JPD's history as being, like most police forces of the Deep South, incredibly racist towards blacks, although I doubt that is the case today...so anyway....just thought I'd point that out, even though it probably bears no relevance today

Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
There's also the JPD's history as being, like most police forces of the Deep South, incredibly racist towards blacks, although I doubt that is the case today...so anyway....just thought I'd point that out, even though it probably bears no relevance today
LOL... a-hem... where can I find the JPD's history? Where did you read this? I checked the JPD website and the only history is the FBI history about the civil rights workers who were killed in 1964 (of which two were white, by the way). I really don't know how JPD could be racist towards blacks when the entire JPD is ALL black - including a black female Chief of Police. Well, I guess it could be black being racist toward black, if you can be a racist against your own race. There may be one or two white police officers on the force... but I haven't seen any but blacks.

Please understand that I am not trying to be cynical because I understand that people who do not live in the deep south sometimes do not know the truth about what goes on here. Can someone else help me out here... explaining the misconception that racist in the south is ALWAYS white against black???

I sat in a waiting area last week where there was a TV showing CNN. The news was about a white teenager in Louisiana that was beaten by 6 black teenage boys and the physical damage he received. Two of the black people in the room - a male and a female - laughed hysterically and high-fived each other. I was shocked. Shocked that anyone could laugh at the demise of a teenager - whether he be white, black, Hispanic, etc. As a society, we continue to digress.

BTW.. St. Louis is a very cool city!

Last edited by SashaBlue; 06-30-2007 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Yavapai County, Arizona (Prescott)

They just arrested one of their OWN officers for drug dealing, drug possession, and being a white supremicist. And I used to know him personally, 8 months ago. He was kind of weird, if I might add. I didn't know about his drug use until I heard about it 3 months ago. What a f****** loser!! Most cops here, in this town, are...

Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Personally from what I've heard about New Orleans their officers are as corrupt as it gets and have been that way for a long time. They have formed strong partnerships with many of the drug dealers of New Orleans and in 1994 there was a very famous incident where several cops carried out a hit on a civilian woman who was going to file a harrassment complaint against one of the officers. Instead the woman wound up with a bullet in her brain. That's my take. Which cities do you think have the worst police systems?
Los Angeles Police and New York Police have more people per officer so they can't perform as well as smaller police departments can.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,512 times
The Santa Ana, CA PD aren't corrupt or racist, AFAIK, but just generally incompetent. You'd almost swear they based their policing methods on "Car 54,. Where are You?" No wonder gangs spread like wildfire there.

From what I have read, the New Orleans PD is probably the worst overall PD in the U.S., with those in Philly running a close second for just heinous misbehavior.

Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (Rep-Huntington Beach, CA) calls the HBPD "stormtroopers." That PD has always had a reputation for being pretty authoritarian, but not anywhere close to an LAPD or the ones named above. I would be more afraid of the Orange County Sheriff's Department, though:
Orange County Weekly

And the Orange County DA, Tony Rackauckas, makes Mike Nifong look like a piker in sending the innocent to jail plus he is more corrupt:
Orange County Weekly - Watching the Detective

Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
LOL... a-hem... where can I find the JPD's history? Where did you read this? I checked the JPD website and the only history is the FBI history about the civil rights workers who were killed in 1964 (of which two were white, by the way). I really don't know how JPD could be racist towards blacks when the entire JPD is ALL black - including a black female Chief of Police. Well, I guess it could be black being racist toward black, if you can be a racist against your own race. There may be one or two white police officers on the force... but I haven't seen any but blacks.

Please understand that I am not trying to be cynical because I understand that people who do not live in the deep south sometimes do not know the truth about what goes on here. Can someone else help me out here... explaining the misconception that racist in the south is ALWAYS white against black???

I sat in a waiting area last week where there was a TV showing CNN. The news was about a white teenager in Louisiana that was beaten by 6 black teenage boys and the physical damage he received. Two of the black people in the room - a male and a female - laughed hysterically and high-fived each other. I was shocked. Shocked that anyone could laugh at the demise of a teenager - whether he be white, black, Hispanic, etc. As a society, we continue to digress.

BTW.. St. Louis is a very cool city!

I never said it was always white against black actually...I was sort of pointing out the stereotype about it....racism was never actually confined to the South although historically it once was the strongest there..sadly it can be contagious....one race makes fun of the other, the other will retaliate back with the same thing...racism is a bad thing because once it is introduced it can be contagious and get out of hand, not to mention it is unusually cruel. Racism is a problem in all of America and always has been. And while St. Louis is a cool city, it, like all cities, has its fair share of problems. STL PD have their hands full with crime these days, and East St. Louis across the river in Illinois is horrendously impoverished and crime-ridden. I also did not imply that it's the case today...I guess I sorta figured that given it was the Deep South and it was in Mississippi, back in the Civil Rights period JPD was racist...i dunno..it probably is overdramatacized. The South is a great place and I love coming down to visit it given I have relatives in Louisiana. But whatever, I'm sorry I made the statement about the JPD and blacks. I should've phrased it better, and done my research instead of taking the easy way and believing in the stereotype about Southern cities and blacks in the Civil Rights Era.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-05-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Los Angeles Police and New York Police have more people per officer so they can't perform as well as smaller police departments can.
With New Orleans though, the cops were the criminals essentially back then...they were the equivalent of gangsters...when that woman was killed you heard on tape the officer who ordered the hit on her...when he heard it was done he cheered like he'd just won the World Series...absolutely terrifying and sickening to think that he'd been hired as an officer. I think he may have received the death sentence

Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
With New Orleans though, the cops were the criminals essentially back then...they were the equivalent of gangsters...when that woman was killed you heard on tape the officer who ordered the hit on her...when he heard it was done he cheered like he'd just won the World Series...absolutely terrifying and sickening to think that he'd been hired as an officer. I think he may have received the death sentence
Why do you think?

Not paid enough to deal with the crisis, terrible admistrative decisions. Why risk their lives fighting looters for pennies when they could loot with them. City was done for anyway. They didn't think they would be caught.

Every city has good and bad cops. Just hope when you need one you get a good one.

Good cities to watch for major upcoming scandels are NYC, New Orleans, Philly, Detroit. Low pay, lots of crime, in New Orleans case VERY demoralized. Philly and Detroit are just going down the tubes. NYC has lots to deal with (most police work) with and HORRIBLE pay. The starting is bad, but the top pay is a joke.

Cities where you should be very surprised about corruption. Suffolk NY, Nassau NY, San Fransisco, these PD's are getting PAID. Why be corrupt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.