Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly! When you also consider the socioeconomic factors, it makes a lot of sense. Paying $5 dollars for a pack of cigarettes vs paying $50 for a bag of pot is considerable

Oh well I was actually talking about the cost of cigarettes in the Southern states--they are in general much cheaper than up North--like her in WA or in NY. I don't smoke anymore, but when I moved to Seattle in 98, I was able to buy a carton of Camels for $12 (of course gas was 99 cents a gallon too!). I had massive sticker shock even then when I arrived in Seattle 2 weeks later and find individual packs were $5-6 each. I've read from the NY boards that packs of cigarettes there are around $12. We can't AFFORD to have a smoking habit up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
One key thing that no one has posted is that a lot of people in the south are stubborn. I mean they don't like people coming in and telling them what to do. If a choice is going to be made then its their own choice and no one told them to do it. That characteristic has been passed down by many generations of southerners.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
One key thing that no one has posted is that a lot of people in the south are stubborn. I mean they don't like people coming in and telling them what to do. If a choice is going to be made then its their own choice and no one told them to do it. That characteristic has been passed down by many generations of southerners.

lol, Someone from the North can tell a Southern not to touch the stove and explain the consequences, but out of stubbornness the Southern still does, gets burned, starts a War over that, loses the war, but 100 of years later, their children's children's children continue to display the flag that represented them during that War. It's like these guys never learn anything.

Last edited by Hypnosis; 09-09-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
lol, Someone from the North can tell a Southern not to touch the stove and explain the consequences, but out of stubbornness the Southern still does, gets burned, starts a War over that, loses the war, but 100 of years later, their children's children's children continue to display the flag that represented them during that War. It's like these guys never learn anything.
LOL, just like someone from the South can tell a Northern not to move to a place they will most likely hate, but they do anyway - out of nothing but pure, thick-headed Northern stubborness and superiority. As a matter of fact, this continues for decades on end, all the while the hatred does indeed grow, while idiotic misconceptions abound. Despite the fact that they continue to ruin huge swaths of this area and are largely despised, their children's children's children continue to move in to a place they have nothing but disdain for, and then complain about any and every thing that isn't a perfect match for "the North." It's like these guys never learn anything.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL, just like someone from the South can tell a Northern not to move to a place they will most likely hate, but they do anyway - out of nothing but pure, thick-headed Northern stubborness and superiority. As a matter of fact, this continues for decades on end, all the while the hatred does indeed grow, while idiotic misconceptions abound. Despite the fact that they continue to ruin huge swaths of this area and are largely despised, their children's children's children continue to move in to a place they have nothing but disdain for, and then complain about any and every thing that isn't a perfect match for "the North." It's like these guys never learn anything.
Except that the Northerner will move back to his original state in a few months , while the Southern still displays the Confederate flag, his mind is stuck in the past, there's no progress.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Apparently the OP has never been to the non-southern city of Philadelphia, otherwise known as the ashtray of the Northeast. I'm from Florida, lived in both NC and Washington DC, and have never seen anything like it is here. The city just recently banned smoking from restaurants/bars (though some non-food serving establishments have exemptions). Smoking is a birthright, as witnessed by my neighbor through her full-term pregnancy. It's impossible to walk anywhere without going through a cloud of smoke. It's a pretty disgusting city in that respect. Though what can be expected of a city where only 21 percent of its residents have a college degree, where one in five are illiterate and a dropout rate hovering at 50% for city high school students?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Though what can be expected of a city where only 21 percent of its residents have a college degree, where one in five are illiterate and a dropout rate hovering at 50% for city high school students?
But, its not in the South, so its ok

Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM

287 posts, read 498,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The South encompasses 33% to 40% of the U.S. population. Try again
Thats a huge chunk. That leaves 60%-67% to the rest of the country.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Except that the Northerner will move back to his original state in a few months , while the Southern still displays the Confederate flag, his mind is stuck in the past, there's no progress.
Well, then why don't you enlighten us all and tell everyone just how many Confederate flags you actually saw today in the NW suburbs of Atlanta? Were any people actually smoking in front of, or near them?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Naw, not true. Usually the northerner and their posterity will stay cos they love our milk and honey. Yet, they STILL find eternal fault with the South, and seem hell-bent on trying to convert it into a carbon-copy of land they ruined and fled to begin with.

Hell, I honestly think the term "damyankee" would naturally fade from the Southern vernacular if it wasn't othewise....

The Confederate Flag? I feel confident in saying Southerners, black and white, have a certain mutual understanding and tolerance on this topic. It is not always in perfect agreement, but it still exists above and apart from needing a lecture by northerners on the subject.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-11-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.