Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times

Advertisements

I have been mulling over leaving los angeles for a while now and while i have family back in atlanta, i really don't feel much going on there in terms of culture and am in a position where i can move to pretty much wherever in the continental united states. problem is, i just don't know where, and would love to hear people's opinions.

i am a filmmaker and i do projections/VJ for bands and dj's. i would definitely need something with a thriving music scene, lots of artists (tho not necessarily painters because i lived in carmel california for a while and there are loads of galleries there and it is a VERY boring, tho lovely place). an up-and-coming filmmaker's city would be perfect, tho i can make opportunities wherever i go.
living in los angeles is pretty pricey, so i am not looking too closely at san francisco right now.
weather isn't really an issue-crime neither, because i have found danger in some of the safest places and been safe in some of the most dangerous- i figure if you are smart with good intuition you will be ok, but i don't want a shootout on my doorstep.
definitely looking for something with a liberal populace- gay friendly (even tho i'm not, i just find it goes hand in hand with liberal)....size isn't an issue either, good schools not an issue tho i would like a place with colleges nearby as i want to take some classes in the near future.
anywhere in the us- doesn't matter. so, forum frequenters, give me your vote for groovy, perhaps not-so-well-known YET cities, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Seattle immediately comes to mind.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Austin Film Society - Welcome to the Austin Film Society!

Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Prague, Plzeň, and České Budějovice are probably the best known Bohemian cities. Prague is the most 'International' in influence though so you would probably get a more authentic Bohemian experience in the smaller cities.

edit: I just realized this is in General U.S. oops.

I would say certain enclaves in Brooklyn would suit the aesthetic you are looking for as well as providing opportunities in your field.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM

sorry, i didn't mean bohemian as in actual historical Bohemia, but more like, artsy, freewheeling, etc;. hope that doesn't offend you if you are Bohemian. btw, is there any relation between the two terms, i.e. were native Bohemians carefree types and that is why the word "bohemian" is used in the context that i just used it?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM

actually, with a bit of googling i answered my own question.

The term "Bohemian" as related to Bohemianism Рi.e., describing the nontraditional lifestyles of marginalized and impoverished artists, writers, musicians, and actors in major European cities Рemerged in France in the early 19th century when artists and creators began to concentrate in the lower-rent, lower class gypsy neighbourhoods. The term boh̩mien was a common term for the Romani people of France, who had reached Western Europe via Bohemia.

pretty interesting. i have always wanted to go to Prague.....hmm.........any idea what the cost of living and so on is there? google could answer me but ABQ convict you seem quite versed in these matters?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
sorry, i didn't mean bohemian as in actual historical Bohemia, but more like, artsy, freewheeling, etc;. hope that doesn't offend you if you are Bohemian. btw, is there any relation between the two terms, i.e. were native Bohemians carefree types and that is why the word "bohemian" is used in the context that i just used it?
They tend to go hand in hand.

Also to your semi-rant on art colonies (well specifically carmel), I abhor them as well, they have a tendency to be kitschy, like-minded, I'll even say Kinkade-ish, lol. Laguna Beach comes to mind.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
I understood what you meant...Bohemian folks are more conscience than most others. Kinda deep than the surface. More expressive and free spirited. Live & Let Live is consistance with most bohemians. They used to call them Hippies, now they call them Emos, Soul Brothas/Sistas, Dreadheads & Hipsters...most of them see eye to eye on lifestyle choices.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
an up-and-coming filmmaker's city would be perfect
Though I'd never nominate Knoxville as the bohemian capital of the universe you might consider it for your career. A couple of big concert lighting outfits are HQ here, as is HGTV, and some smaller video concerns. AC entertainment (the bonaroo folks) are here as well. Might be a good place to cultivate contacts.

There are plenty of folks I would describe as bohemian, but yeah, overall the culture is pretty middle of the road. I's a quick trip to Asheville if you need to get your hippie groove on.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Not sure these really fit, but I'm not getting back in the swing of work today so here's some possibilities from various things I've read.

Arcata, California
Asheville, North Carolina
Madison, Wisconsin
Santa Cruz, California - Possibly more yuppie or "bourgeois bohemian."
Sedona, Arizona
Taos, New Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.