Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times

Advertisements

Ah, OK, I had even thought of that area of Texas because I figured the accent might not sound as stereotypically southern as places in east / southeast Texas. But yeah, maybe your Texan features just didn't fully show in that recording.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 02:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Oh wow, this thread got bumpin' since last I checked in. So many cool videos to listen to

I guess now's a good time to reveal the secret of my bland General American accent! I was born in Mexico (but only born there, I was raised in Dallas) to a Mexican mother and a North Carolinan father. I lived in Dallas proper, but just barely. I grew up in Suburban Dallas. I think that is why I have such a comparitively neutral accent. I grew up with so many different kinds of accents around me (some of native Texan, but also East Coast, West Coast, non-native English, etc.) as more people moved to the Sun Belt from other parts of the country.

That, plus the fact that most television is done is neutral American, has caused me (and I think most of the people my age in the Big Texas Cities) to have pretty neutral accents.

The Texas accent is still going strong in smaller cities/small towns, but no one I know my age (23) from Dallas, Houston or Austin, for instance, has an accent stronger than mine.

Now to listen to some more of your accents!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
What a great idea. It's really neat to hear everyone's different accents and put a voice to the name, so to speak. We could really use more women here, though.

YouTube - Accent

Old 09-11-2010, 03:07 PM

JimmyJohnWilson: Southern, maybe Georgian? I don't know enough about the kinds of Southern accents, sadly!

kidphilly: you sound General American to me. I wouldn't notice any accent if we met in Dallas tomorrow. (Except the way you say Ramen and Reece's Pieces, donkey, and daughter!)

Colts: same as kidphilly, you sound like you'd fit in lots of places. General American all the way.

iowacountryboy: you sound like you come from one of the smaller Texas towns I was talking about in my earlier post. Very distinctive and cool.

neotextist: General American too. Maybe a hint of Texas, but that might just be because I know where your from and my mind is trying to hear things. Still cool though!

And just because why not, one of Verseau's paragraphs. Thanks for the paragraphs, Verseau!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2Vy40HhK0

Last edited by Fillmont; 09-11-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Even if I posted mine I don't think it would reveal my true accent. I tend to change my accent, depening of who I'm speaking to. If I'm just making a video for this thread, my accent is gonna be more neutral, but if I'm talking to friends & family, it'll be more Southern. I think a lot of people down here tend to alter their accents slightly depending of who they're talking to. It just comes naturally, I don't even think about it.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Even if I posted mine I don't think it would reveal my true accent. I tend to change my accent, depening of who I'm speaking to. If I'm just making a video for this thread, my accent is gonna be more neutral, but if I'm talking to friends & family, it'll be more Southern. I think a lot of people down here tend to alter their accents slightly depending of who they're talking to.
I have a friend whose dad's side of the family is from small town Texas. When he talks to his friends, he sounds very General American. But when he comes back from a weekend with his dad's family, he has a thick Texan accent for a few days before it subsides again.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
What a great idea. It's really neat to hear everyone's different accents and put a voice to the name, so to speak. We could really use more women here, though.

YouTube - Accent
Why don't you have a Texas accent?!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Such a neat thread. Kinda feel like I'm showing up late since this thing is a good 20 pages deep already. Anyway, here's my audio clip, and sorry for the first couple seconds, I was trying to find BPerone's list of words:

YouTube - My Accent (used for for post on City-Data.com

Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Even if I posted mine I don't think it would reveal my true accent. I tend to change my accent, depening of who I'm speaking to. If I'm just making a video for this thread, my accent is gonna be more neutral, but if I'm talking to friends & family, it'll be more Southern. I think a lot of people down here tend to alter their accents slightly depending of who they're talking to. It just comes naturally, I don't even think about it.
i was thinking the same thing. the video i recorded (to me) doesnt sound southern at all (or at least not noticeably), but somehow every person who has evaluated it has thought so. you may be surprised how people can pick up on it, you should record one.

NeoTextist: general american (i hear no texas dialect)
XGrendelx: general american as well.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
I've found that I do that. A few of my friends back home have strong Southern drawls, and by the time I leave I sound just like them. However, here in SF I tend to enunciate more clearly, especially since the first few months of my being here I was asked constantly to repeat what I was saying. I tend to jumble everything together when I get going, haha.

Although, it's just me in my apartment right now, so I just talked as if I was on the phone with someone back home or with anyone I know well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.