Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I must have missed Long island.

Lol....For gods sakes, HOW ?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Tulsa's very similar to Dallas, Fort Worth, OKC and Austin. It's "Western South." Nothing like the Midwest. Kansas City's on the southern edge of the Midwest, anyway, so it already has some Southern influence.

I have a hard time calling Missouri a "Midwestern" state, even though the Census bureau includes it. Even though it does have some obviously Midwestern areas (St. Louis, KC, the northern third of the state), most of the state has a Southern/Ozark culture and climate. It's heavily Southern Baptist, it tends to vote Republican (sometimes very Republican), there is a detectable Southern accent throughout much of the state. MO was a slave state, and it had a strong Confederate contingent during the Civil War. Although MO has Southern and Midwestern influences, I'd say overall, it's a Southern state. Hannibal, MO may be Midwestern, but Sikeston, MO certainly isn't. There's nothing Midwest about this:

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL

Or this:

Branson MO Official Website - Branson Missouri Hotels, Accommodations, Lodging, Shows, Attractions and More!

If something has southern influence or similarities to the south, why does it automatically HAVE to be southern?

Why can't it be a northern state with southern influence?

That's what Missouri is! A northern state (Midwestern) with a heavy influence of southern culture.

Most of the state is way too far up north for it to be geographically southern. Besides, St. Louis is the gateway to the west. Not the south.

I can see calling the lower areas southern, as some of it even extends into Arkansas. But all in all, Missouri is a lower Midwestern state.

Would you say Illinois or Indiana are southern just because of some cultural similarities? I wouldn't, they are northern states with similarities to the south in certain areas.

The traditional northern/southern border is the Mason-Dixon (Which in itself excludes Delaware, and a portion of WV) to the Ohio river then down to the 36 30 north, otherwise known as the Missouri compromise line, and out into Oklahoma from there.

Only a small portion of Missouri is within this border. Much in the same way that West Virginia, Virginia and (especially) Maryland have adopted a lot of north-eastern culture, yet are still considered southern, Missouri is southerly in culture but still a northern state.

Be proud of what you are instead of what you envy (Maybe?), the Midwest is as beautiful and cultured as any other region in this country!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I'm from Minnesota, not Missouri. I'm proud to be Midwestern. I just don't see Missouri as part of the Midwest.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I have attached a map of what I consider the 'midwest' in green, with the 'debatable' states in light red.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uhm...

If Pennsylvania is Midwestern, then so is upstate New York.

And if West Virginia was part of anything other than the south, it would be the lower/western northeast, (Northern Appalachia).

I agree with somebody else here, those are more like the Great lakes states, sans New York and plus a few. While that is a cultural region, it's not what defines the entire Mid-west.

Each region in this country has two or more major cultural regions that differ from each-other. But they are geographically still together.

Example; the north east (Excluding the ambiguous Delaware). New England and eastern/downstate NY are completely different from Central/western New York and Pennsylvania, and New Jersey/NYC is different all on it's own. All part of the north east though.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm from Minnesota, not Missouri. I'm proud to be Midwestern. I just don't see Missouri as part of the Midwest.
I'm from Louisiana. I don't consider Missouri southern.

In all seriousness, that last bit was more for a general crowd.

However, if you must distinguish thine self from Missouri, you can use the upper-Midwest/lower-Midwest argument with 100% accuracy.

But trust me, Missouri is just as Mid-western as Kansas, lower Illinois, most of Indiana and southern Ohio.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but not the Dakotas, Nebraska or Kansas? Huh? Kentucky is an obvious Southern state, West Virginia is basically a Southern state, and Pennsylvania is northeastern. The Plains states are definitely, 100% Midwestern. Minnesota has far more in common with the Dakotas than Kentucky or Pennsylvania.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Sorry, the entire map was colored green and red originally, I just whited-out everything else, and made my idea of the midwest, green, and the other three the red, I must have missed Long island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lol....For gods sakes, HOW ?!?!?
Maybe it was this (rather nice) picture of a Long Island farm that confused the matter. :-)

Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but not the Dakotas, Nebraska or Kansas? Huh? Kentucky is an obvious Southern state, West Virginia is basically a Southern state, and Pennsylvania is northeastern. The Plains states are definitely, 100% Midwestern. Minnesota has far more in common with the Dakotas than Kentucky or Pennsylvania.
I totally disagree. WI has more in common with PA than it does with the Dakotas. Just because MN attracts lots of transplants from the Dakotas doesn't make the states similar. I see absolutely no similarities between the Great Plains states and the Great Lakes states.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Officially, Missouri is midwestern.
Strong southern influences in the southern parts of the state, but definitely midwestern all in all. I've spent a majority of my life in the south so far, and Missouri isn't quite the same. MO has just as many similarities with Iowa as it does Arkansas.
Kind of like Minnesota bordors Ontario and Manitoba, and may even have some similarities, but no one's going to call Minnesota Canadian.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
I totally disagree. WI has more in common with PA than it does with the Dakotas. Just because MN attracts lots of transplants from the Dakotas doesn't make the states similar. I see absolutely no similarities between the Great Plains states and the Great Lakes states.
There may not be too many similarities from your point of view, but the two areas are in the same region.

I refer you to a quote from one of my earlier posts-

"Each region in this country has two or more major cultural regions that differ from each-other. But they are geographically still together.

Example; the north east (Excluding the ambiguous Delaware). New England and eastern/downstate NY are completely different from Central/western New York and Pennsylvania, and New Jersey/NYC is different all on it's own. All part of the north east though."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.