Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 02:51 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times

Advertisements

MSNBC just released an interesting article on how "Lack of immigrants, shift to anti-terrorism" are cited as possible explanations for the soar in homicides in the east cost. I am not from that area, so I want to know what the people from these areas think of it.

It looks like Philadelphia seems to be the worst for "losing one resident a day to violence."

The full article is at: Homicides soar in East Coast cities - Crime & Punishment - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,647 times
So this article is saying that cheap labor Illegal Aliens stop black people from killing each other? Talk about being too close to the trees, lets take a wider look at the big picture. How about a forward outlook on the issue.

What the author of this article is not not sharp enough to realize is that in the next generation the Illegal Aliens are going to Americanize and criminalize. The group that is supposedly driving the current crime wave is a group of former cheap labor workers. Some of the current Illegal Aliens will move up in class but the majority of descendants will attain the American ghetto thug culture. Those born here from Illegal Alien parents are not going to be content working the same undesirable jobs for unfair wages. The 1st generation born here of this Illegal Alien stock is going to assimilate into the welfare nation and launch a crime wave that will cripple the nation. The culture of entitlement will keep them from blowing leaves and washing dishes for less then min wage like their fathers. The quick economic fix of importing cheap labor has a cost. Look at the cheap labor schemes of the past and how it cost generations down the road. The debt is always paid in the 2nd generation. They might be hardworking honest men now, but there sons will not be content to do the dirty work for unfair wages. It is now fair to them and us to allow these people to come here and work for so cheap. The businesses profit today but we will all pay down the road. In the future those that blow leaves today will see their sons and grandsons blow away each other.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 06-30-2007 at 05:16 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
That's an interesting theory. My opinion is that east coast gang violence is thriving and it accounts for a good portion of many of these murders. I think the number 1 cause is gangs, and the number 2 cause is drugs. Working in Trenton, NJ, I worry a lot more about getting hit by stray bullets from gang members and getting attacked by a random crackhead than I do terrorism.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:40 PM

76 posts, read 443,956 times
I think they mean lack of immigration of high-status individuals, more than lack of illegal immigrants. (What city doesn't have an influx of illegals?!) Even if the illegal immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes, they breed a hostile public environment that keeps women from taking up residence there. If no non-ghetto-type women are willing to live there due to street harassment, it's just a matter of time before the entire place goes to hell.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:01 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
I've lived in several cities where bombed-out crime ridden neighborhoods were rehabilitated and filled with taquerias and Vietnamese noodle houses. There seemed to be less desperation and lot more jobs available as this process took place, even if they were low level. People began having pride in their neighborhoods. I can totally see where the author is coming from here.

As for comments asserting that the children of immigrants will enter American "thug culture": I currently live in Austin, Texas--a city that is 1/3 Hispanic and 20% foreign born. It is also a city of 700,000 people that has had 12 murders so far this year (extremely low for an American city). Since moving here, I have seen more middle and upper class Hispanics that are doctors, lawyers, small business owners, whatever, than I have seen living in smaller Northeastern cities.

I think most of the commenters who believe "illegals" will just enter the cycle of ghetto violence are mostly middle-American rubes in white-bread towns who form their views from watching FoxNews.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

I think most of the commenters who believe "illegals" will just enter the cycle of ghetto violence are mostly middle-American rubes in white-bread towns who form their views from watching FoxNews.
You have to look at studies of American born Hispanics versus foreign born Hispanics. The foreign born Immigrants have a much lower rate of crime than those born in the states. The studies have already been done and the point proven.

Foxnews? Are you kidding me? TV is for the dull of spirit and lemmings who want to be told what to think. I have not watched a TV show other than some sporting events I may fancy in months and neither should you.

No American white-bread rube here. They didn't speak English in my home nor did they speak English where I am from. I have been around immigrants my whole life and relate to them more than those born stateside. You are talking to a Brooklyn born, Queens raised New Yorker, if there is a racial group out there i have dealt with them. The words are well marinated with experience and reality. In addition these words are backed up with facts. Educate yourself, here is a start. Give it a good read and digest the information. I quoted some text below to pique your interest.

Migration Information Source - Debunking the Myth of Immigrant Criminality: Imprisonment Among First- and Second-Generation Young Men

Quote:
Surprisingly, at least from the vantage of conventional wisdom, the data show the above hypotheses to be unfounded. In fact, the incarceration rate of the US born (3.51 percent) was four times the rate of the foreign born (0.86 percent). The foreign-born rate was half the 1.71 percent rate for non-Hispanic white natives, and 13 times less than the 11.6 percent incarceration rate for native black men (see Table 1).

Last edited by samyn on the green; 06-30-2007 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 02:05 AM

245 posts, read 765,534 times
"Twelve Americans are murdered every day by illegal aliens, according to statistics released by Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa. If those numbers are correct, it translates to 4,380 Americans murdered annually by illegal aliens. That's 21,900 since Sept. 11, 2001."

" While King reports 12 Americans are murdered daily by illegal aliens, he says 13 are killed by drunk illegal alien drivers – for another annual death toll of 4,745. That's 23,725 since Sept. 11, 2001."

In total, that would be around 9000 Americans being killed each year by illegals. I'm sure the exact number could be debated, but it's a pretty safe bet that illegals kill more Americans every year than died in 9/11. The illegals seem to be doing a better job of killing us than the terrorists. Considering the fact that they invaded this country illegally, even one death at the hands of an illegal is too many. If we Americans killed 9000 Canadians or Mexicans each year, their governments would be screaming bloody murder. So why isn't ours?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:52 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You have to look at studies of American born Hispanics versus foreign born Hispanics. The foreign born Immigrants have a much lower rate of crime than those born in the states. The studies have already been done and the point proven.

Foxnews? Are you kidding me? TV is for the dull of spirit and lemmings who want to be told what to think. I have not watched a TV show other than some sporting events I may fancy in months and neither should you.

No American white-bread rube here. They didn't speak English in my home nor did they speak English where I am from. I have been around immigrants my whole life and relate to them more than those born stateside. You are talking to a Brooklyn born, Queens raised New Yorker, if there is a racial group out there i have dealt with them. The words are well marinated with experience and reality. In addition these words are backed up with facts. Educate yourself, here is a start. Give it a good read and digest the information. I quoted some text below to pique your interest.

Migration Information Source - Debunking the Myth of Immigrant Criminality: Imprisonment Among First- and Second-Generation Young Men
I agree, Hispanics born in the USA. First generation Americans are more prone to violence due to poverty situation. Parents who came from where ever, had them, and the kids grew up in the inner city areas of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.