Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Shall I post a "Girl's gone Wild video"?
The one they gave you with the free t-shirt right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Posting a video of bust-up in a bar in the UK (?) is not really a helpful answer, but thanks anyway.
You painted yourself with the broad brush of "European". I was just narrowing down the territory a bit.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM

99 posts, read 385,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You painted yourself with the broad brush of "European". I was just narrowing down the territory a bit.
What - to the wrong one?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Nothing, but I did find it an interesting video I thought you might enjoy.
Why are you in it?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,951,429 times
Ah, now---this is my favorite. My husband used to sing it to me. Such a romantic--well, at least he used to be!!

YouTube - LUKE KELLY raglan road

Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM

another great classic....

YouTube - The Dubliners - Whiskey in the jar

Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
My favorite:

YouTube - The Irish Rover

Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishman_irl View Post
Hi all,

I moved to the easy bay 9 months ago from Europe and find it very difficult to make the kind of friends I did back home, maybe its me but Americans seem very insular - its easy to make a lot of acquaintances, but not friends.

Everyone appears to have a dog which I'm starting to think they use as a replacement for human contact.

Even in the rugby club I've joined, everyone turns up, is friendly, shoots the breeze about superficial topics but quick departs once training is over - no going for a beer.

As I said, maybe its just me :-)

What do you think?
Is it possible your rugby team acquaintences have personal situations such as wives and kids they have to go home to dinner with? It may have less to do with their wanting to shut you out than that they're being pullled in other directions. I have noticed that after-work socializing has declined significantly from what it was 20 years ago. Companies aren't really encouraging it and people live all over the place and have long commutes that make it less than conducive to hang around in the evenings. People in relationships nowadays don't generally leave their partners at home to go out to bars with their guy and gal pals like they used to. I suspect what you're seeing is really more the result of generational changes in the relationship between work to homelife, rather than anything endemic to traditional American culture.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,939,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Holy *****! A Ferengi!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Also, Americans are picky, picky, picky. I don't know how it is in other countries, but here, if you want someone to hang out with you, it has to be just the right day at just the right time at just the right place. I think because Americans are so used to having so many choices consumer-wise, they think they should be able to handcraft get togethers and have the moment specifically tailored to them. If it's not exactly when and where they want, they won't go. The only exception is birthdays. Your bday is the one time people will put up with not having a say in plans.
This is so very true. As a culture we are highly particular about relaxing as "oxymoronic" as that sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.