U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM

5,837 posts, read 9,847,255 times

Advertisements

Colorado, New Hampshire and Minnesota are your best options if you want to find some other Libertarian leaning people. Perhaps northern Aridzona too though I'd forget both Feenix and Twosahn. My older brother and sister lived there for years and said that both metro areas are becoming miniaturized versions of LA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM

910 posts, read 1,539,284 times
I'm going to look into Colorado more with all the people recommending it.

Are any areas around Seattle friendly towards more conservative/libertarian types, or is it all highly progressive?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Bump....any opinions on New Mexico?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,867,090 times
Look at Santa Fe. It's a very artsy area and you are close to Albuquerque for larger city ammenities. Santa Fe is prettie than Abq in my opinion. I initially though Colorado Springs, that's where I'm going when my lease is up. But as I thought about it more, I think you should look into Fort Collins. Very close to Denver but has all the perks of a smaller city with a college atmosphere. They have their own forum.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM

161 posts, read 525,873 times
I was also maybe thinking of Reno, NV. Close to California with a lot of transplants from there, so quite liberal but cheaper than CA. Not humid at all. Nearby Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada Mountains for recreation, but a lot less snow to deal with on a daily basis in the city.

The Reno-Sparks metro area has been fast growing for the past 20 years. It is still pretty safe in most areas. Its only 2 hours to Sacramento and 4 to San Francisco for bigger cities.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM

I'm hoping to make it to Colorado later this year and check out some of these places.

Are there any Montana or Wyoming residents that care t chime on the QOL there?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I'm hoping to make it to Colorado later this year and check out some of these places.

Are there any Montana or Wyoming residents that care t chime on the QOL there?
Bump...also any SoCal or NorCal people?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM

13,740 posts, read 27,130,817 times
Okay OP, you're throwing darts all over my stomping grounds so:

CA: You brought up Redding. Redding is hot as blazes in the summer and does not have a growing economy. Think stagnation. Otherwise, it fits.

CO: Colorado Springs would be the best bet. Boulder would drive you nuts politically. Denver doesn't seem like it's what you are looking for IMO. Fort Collins scores a few points, but I don't think it's it either. Pueblo doesn't fit, Grand Junction might.

WA: Stay east of the cascades. Spokane and/or North Idaho fit.

MT: Any of the MT cities would work. Butte and Billings probably fit best, Helena and Great Falls to a lesser extent, and Missoula and Bozeman to a slightly lesser extent.

WY: Casper would be good for you. Cheyenne probably too (but not as much IMO).

I'll throw Boise, Reno, and Albuquerque in as honorable mentions.

People raise families in MT and WY all the time. It's just a different lifestyle up there. Those folks don't need big cities to get their excitement.

As a Southern CA native, I don't see anything there that fits your wants/needs.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks ^ And yeah...I'm throwing stuff out there I really just know that I want to get out of the midwest. California was always one I thought of simply because of the outdoors related activities, from skiing in winter to surfing to hiking and mountain biking.

edit: Heat really doesn't bother me unless its humid as well and politics also take a back seat to QoL overall. (everything would be nice, but hey can't have it all)

Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM

13,740 posts, read 27,130,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Thanks ^ And yeah...I'm throwing stuff out there I really just know that I want to get out of the midwest. California was always one I thought of simply because of the outdoors related activities, from skiing in winter to surfing to hiking and mountain biking.

edit: Heat really doesn't bother me unless its humid as well and politics also take a back seat to QoL overall. (everything would be nice, but hey can't have it all)
It's a dry heat pretty much everywhere west of the center of the great plains (100 W Longitude). We don't have Midwest/Southern humidity anywhere out here, for example, going east out of Denver it doesn't get humid until about Salina, KS.

In order to enjoy CA's outdoor activities, you'd have to deal with all the other CA BS (high COL, economic problems, traffic in the cities, smog). IMO it's not worth it.

I don't know how much you like ocean surfing and beach activities, but if you think you can live without them, my adopted state of Colorado is really screaming out to me at you. IMO it's as close as you'll get to everything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.