Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Well I want to engineer vehicles (perfomance +luxury) and engineer performance parts.

I can fix cars now. I want to be versatile but engineering is really the main goal.
Well you may want to pursue a mechanical engineering degree. Problem is there are 100,000 other mech e's trying to do the same thing you are. It is a very competitive field in every aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
What skills do you have now?

Torches? brazing, gas welding?
Mig? Tig?

Which injection systems do you know?

Are you strong in 12 dcv systems?

What engines have you rebuilt to spec?

What trannies have you rebuilt to spec, stick and auto?

Do you alloy cast in class, and design in theory?

Do you have basics in machine shop milling on the bridgeport and lathe?

Does class include creating and reading blue prints/CAD?

With out looking in a book can you relate what T 6061 is, and what uses it has?

Can you in detail explain what back pressue is, and why most current cars today must have it?

Can you explain how pentrant oil works in rusty threads?

Depending on how you answer, may assist in which direction you should look.

I think your current scope is too wide, but that isn't a bad thing..........yet.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Well I want to engineer vehicles (perfomance +luxury) and engineer performance parts.

I can fix cars now. I want to be versatile but engineering is really the main goal.
If you have the skill to work on cars, perhaps ASE certified, etc.... then you have an advantage. But you still need to get an engineering degree and try to get an intership/co-op at an auto company to get the experience you need. You should look into mechanical engineering programs and find the ones with the best extra curricular programs like SAE racing teams. This is probably the most important part in getting experience in school, getting to work on SAE formula or baja vehicles.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
What skills do you have now?

Torches? brazing, gas welding?
Mig? Tig?

Which injection systems do you know?

Are you strong in 12 dcv systems?

What engines have you rebuilt to spec?

What trannies have you rebuilt to spec, stick and auto?

Do you alloy cast in class, and design in theory?

Do you have basics in machine shop milling on the bridgeport and lathe?

Does class include creating and reading blue prints/CAD?

With out looking in a book can you relate what T 6061 is, and what uses it has?

Can you in detail explain what back pressue is, and why most current cars today must have it?

Can you explain how pentrant oil works in rusty threads?

Depending on how you answer, may assist in which direction you should look.

I think your current scope is too wide, but that isn't a bad thing..........yet.
I should have worded the question better....

wherever state I move to I want to go to college for. I actually want more then an engineering degree and a bunch of certifications. Lincoln tech was just a stepping stone...and since I got financial aid..how could I refuse.

I know only the basics.. like oil changes, tire rotations, engine swaps, exhaust installations, suspension installations, brakes...like Im basically an auto tech with some modifying experience.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Oh I see, well first thing to do is retire, and see the world, then decide where the best party is, Save working for late in life. LOL

Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
The type of work you aspire to do will require a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering. We are talking years of hard science and math.

I am not trying to discourage you, but for now maybe being just a regular mechanic will get you started and be your stepping stone.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Well Im 22 years old. I will be graduating from Lincoln tech in april of next year for automotive technology.

My goal really is to become an automotive engineer..and specialize in tuning or performance....I want to be very flexible and have a wide variety of skills and be able to repair, modify or engineer car parts.

Well basically I want to move to a city that will help push me in those goals.
I will save 5,000 and drive out to wherever I move too.

I was really relocating to an area where the
(1. Being the most important - 7.Being the least important)

1. cost of living is really low
2. Strong Automotive industry (schools, jobs )
3. job economy is not a nightmare but surviving (aware of the recession), 4. I hate the winter
5. diverse populous
6. Good night life and very lively daytime (I hate quiet towns)
7. Lots of activities (Museums, clubs, shows, concerts)

Please advice!!!! All help would be appreciated!!!
Greenville, SC - Spartangurg, SC might be an option as it has a BMW plant. Cost of living is medium I'd say. SC's joblessness is improving.They've gone from 11.1% in February to 9.9% unemployment in June. Greenville-Mauldin-Easley, SC Economy at a Glance

South Carolina BMW Plant Expansion Nears Completion

Greenville Jobs - Greenville SC South Carolina Jobs & Employment

If you live in or near a city with over a million people and like what it has to offer, Greenville may be too small. There are no big cities anywhere in SC. There are clubs and nightlife and activities. The question is, would it be enough?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Pretty much that is me. I'm basically an auto tech with some modifying experience, but at this point could answer most of the questions in simple laymens terms i stated above. I have limtied machine shop skills, can weld in all the above and arc weld too, and pretty well. I don't have access to tig just now. But can do it in stainless and aluminum alloys.

I don't know how to calcuate the bearing surface of a brake caliper to be enough force to stop a pick up truck, but then i don't have too be able to do that to fix one.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Pretty much that is me. I'm basically an auto tech with some modifying experience, but at this point could answer most of the questions in simple laymens terms i stated above. I have limtied machine shop skills, can weld in all the above and arc weld too, and pretty well. I don't have access to tig just now. But can do it in stainless and aluminum alloys.

I don't know how to calcuate the bearing surface of a brake caliper to be enough force to stop a pick up truck, but then i don't have too be able to do that to fix one.

I have 9 months of experience....

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The type of work you aspire to do will require a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering. We are talking years of hard science and math.

I am not trying to discourage you, but for now maybe being just a regular mechanic will get you started and be your stepping stone.

Good luck!

I won't ever give up thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.