Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Not even close.....and this coming from someone that likes both programs.

The Bedlam Series (OU vs. OSU) is played up by Yankees (read ESPN) that don't know any better. The series in football is ridiculously onesided....82 victories for the Sooners and something like 17 victories for the Cowboys. It's not really a "rivalry" in the sense that the teams are equally matched in terms of wins and losses/tradition, but more just in the sense of bragging rights/state pride.

Now that Nebraska is gone, the Sooners' true rival will always be the Longhorns. That's a rivalry. Go to the Red River Shoothout....easily on par if not outright distancing Michigan/Ohio State and Alabama/Auburn, et al. Oh, and no rivalry (Giant Cocktail Party? NO.) in the SEC really comes close to matching the RRS.
Eh. The Iron Bowl is just as good as the RRS though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Not even close.....and this coming from someone that likes both programs.

The Bedlam Series (OU vs. OSU) is played up by Yankees (read ESPN) that don't know any better. The series in football is ridiculously onesided....82 victories for the Sooners and something like 17 victories for the Cowboys. It's not really a "rivalry" in the sense that the teams are equally matched in terms of wins and losses/tradition, but more just in the sense of bragging rights/state pride.

Now that Nebraska is gone, the Sooners' true rival will always be the Longhorns. That's a rivalry. Go to the Red River Shoothout....easily on par if not outright distancing Michigan/Ohio State and Alabama/Auburn, et al. Oh, and no rivalry (Giant Cocktail Party? NO.) in the SEC really comes close to matching the RRS.

Agreed. Texas and OU is the pinnacle of rivalries in my opinion. It's not even close.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here....

Alabama: Alabama Crimson Tide (football)
Alaska: ???
Arizona: Phoenix Suns
Arkansas: Arkansas Razorbacks (football)
California: L.A. Lakers
Colorado: Denver Broncos
Connecticut: UConn Huskies (basketball)
Delaware: Delaware Blue Hens (football)
Florida: Miami Dolphins
Georgia: Georgia Bulldogs (football)
Hawaii: Hawaii Warriors (football)
Idaho: Boise State Broncos (football)
Illinois: Chicago Bears
Indiana: Indiana Hoosiers (basketball)
Iowa: Iowa Hawkeyes (football)
Kansas: Kansas Jayhawks (basketball)
Kentucky: Kentucky Wildcats (basketball)
Louisiana: LSU Tigers (football) *
Maine: Maine Black Bears (hockey)
Maryland: Baltimore Ravens
Massachusetts: Boston Red Sox
Michigan: Michigan Wolverines (football)
Minnesota: Minnesota Vikings
Mississippi: Ole Miss (football)
Missouri: St. Louis Cardinals
Montana: Montana Grizzlies (football)
Nebraska: Nebraska Cornhuskers (football)
Nevada: UNLV Rebels (basketball)
New Hampshire: New Hampshire ???
New Jersey: New Jersey Devils
New Mexico: New Mexico Lobos (basketball)
New York: New York Yankees
North Carolina: North Carolina Tar Heels (basketball)
North Dakota: North Dakota Fighting Sioux (hockey)
Ohio: Ohio State Buckeyes (football)
Oklahoma: Oklahoma Sooners (football)
Oregon: Oregon Ducks (football)
Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh Steelers
Rhode Island: ???
South Carolina: Clemson Tigers (football)
South Dakota: ???
Tennessee: Tennessee Titans
Texas: Dallas Cowboys
Utah: Utah Jazz
Vermont: ???
Virginia/Washington D.C.: Washington Redskins
Washington: Seattle Seahawks
West Virginia: W. Virginia Mountaineers (football)
Wisconsin: Green Bay Packers
Wyoming: Wyoming Cowboys (football)
Would probably say the Eagles for Delaware
For NJ in total probably the Yankees, maybe the Giants

Might also think the Steelers for WV; though WVU is pretty strong there too

And the skins play in MD; you gave them to DC and VA (which is probably true, think the skins probably beat out the Ravens in MD as well)

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM

406 posts, read 486,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Would probably say the Eagles for Delaware
For NJ in total probably the Yankees, maybe the Giants

Might also think the Steelers for WV; though WVU is pretty strong there too

And the skins play in MD; you gave them to DC and VA (which is probably true, think the skins probably beat out the Ravens in MD as well)
Lol! Funniest thing I've heard all year. LMFAO, YEAH RIGHT.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
States that I know

PA - Steelers win it..From Western PA - To Central - Northeastern..hell the Steelers are 2nd fav team of Philadelphia

NJ - Giants country - Eagles runners up (though they Dominate South Jersey)

NY - I still say Giants over Jets but not by much and both dominate the Bills...

I would think NE PA is Eagles; Scranton has always been pretty strong Eagles country; also as its actually closest to NYC would think the Yankees would be#2 in this area; then maybe the Phils and then Steelers

In PA while the Steelers cover more area; the Eagles probably match the population just on the eastern portion alone and parts of central PA (lancaster etc) may skew toward the skins actually

Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Lol! Funniest thing I've heard all year. LMFAO, YEAH RIGHT.

Not in Baltimore but the MD DC burbs; Fredrick; would think yes they do

For example how would Annarundel lean; would think just as many skins fans even though in the Baltimore MSA

Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM

139 posts, read 501,241 times
Michigan is not U of M because there is a pretty decent sized MSU fan base. So it has to be a pro team.

From there it's hard for me to tell. I know the Pistons are last. That's the only thing I can say for sure. I would say football is the most popular sport, followed closely by baseball. But as far as most popular TEAM...well until recently a ton of people have refused to root for the Lions (for pretty obvious reasons) even though as I said, football is the most beloved sport. On the other hand hockey is not as popular as the other two, but with the Red Wings continued success it makes them a lot more popular than an average hockey team. All things considered I think I would actually probably go with the Tigers as the most popular, ACROSS the state probably due a lot to the history of baseball. But I'd guess the Red Wings win in the Detroit area.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not in Baltimore but the MD DC burbs; Fredrick; would think yes they do

For example how would Annarundel lean; would think just as many skins fans even though in the Baltimore MSA
Anne Arundel county is split. But the ravens wins this contest in MD. There are just as many cowboys fans in the DC as there are skins' fans. The ravens have the eastern shore, plenty of fans in Frederick, which is also mixes with steeler country. Hell, we have fans in the DC area too; far more than they have here.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Agreed. Texas and OU is the pinnacle of rivalries in my opinion. It's not even close.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Anne Arundel county is split. But the ravens wins this contest in MD. There are just as many cowboys fans in the DC as there are skins' fans. The ravens have the eastern shore, plenty of fans in Frederick, which is also mixes with steeler country. Hell, we have fans in the DC area too; far more than they have here.
I thought the Eastern shore was solidly Redskins territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.