Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times

Advertisements

If it happens, and there is a rail, I'd move back after leaving soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
hmmm, I read that commuter rail is cheaper to build than light rail, but it still costs up to 10Million per mile. Estimates for this rail (before environmental studies have even been done start out at 680 million. Good luck .

on another note, widening 35 would only cost 4 mil per mile

Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
thng is, with rail, commuting becomes ten times easier. Why? you can sleep on a train. You can study or do work on a train. You can take care of other things on a train that you can't do while driving which makes commuting farther more reasonable.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
thng is, with rail, commuting becomes ten times easier. Why? you can sleep on a train. You can study or do work on a train. You can take care of other things on a train that you can't do while driving which makes commuting farther more reasonable.
oh yeah, undoubtedly a better way of moving people. I wish all of the us was connected by rail. It should have been done decades ago.

PS. this one aint happening either:
T-BONE (http://www.thsrtc.com/T-BONE.html - broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 11-09-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 02:36 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh yeah, undoubtedly a better way of moving people. I wish all of the us was connected by rail. It should have been done decades ago.

PS. this one aint happening either:
T-BONE (http://www.thsrtc.com/T-BONE.html - broken link)
why are you so negative about these things? gotta be positive man.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
I will bet all of those chili dogs and chalupas. I mean it might not happen because I think San Antonio can be so dang slow with things, but it could. The thing that keeps me optimistic about it is City South in San Antonio which is to connect the new Texas A&M University and the neighborhood around it that is being built on the southside with the rail. As long as that University keeps growing, there may be a push for the commuter rail.

Actually I hope that all Texas cities, not even that, all U.S. cities should get better transportation.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
why are you so negative about these things? gotta be positive man.
I was excited 10 years ago when there was all this talk about rail in Houston. How the lines are gonna criss cross the town, they are gonna extend from Galveston to the woodlands bla bla. After all that we have one rail line.

I am not being negative, I am being realistic and not getting my hopes up.

Like I said it would be very nice to have these rails, but it is not coming anytime soon

Old 09-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I will bet all of those chili dogs and chalupas. I mean it might not happen because I think San Antonio can be so dang slow with things, but it could. The thing that keeps me optimistic about it is City South in San Antonio which is to connect the new Texas A&M University and the neighborhood around it that is being built on the southside with the rail. As long as that University keeps growing, there may be a push for the commuter rail.

Actually I hope that all Texas cities, not even that, all U.S. cities should get better transportation.
I better make more room in my stomach then.

remember all the talk about light rail in SA, then it moved from light rail to high speed buses?

what are they discussing now?

I think the most feasible way of linking up SA to Austin is by short links in the city that link up to each other as development is kick started.

I can assure you that the rail in SA was derailed because there was nothing along the route from downtown to the Medical center.

The medical center itself is so disjointed.

The system in Houston has high ridership because it was built ontop a highly congested bus system that runs through a continuous line of development. It stops near Reliant Stadium, Kirby OST Shopping complex, Texas womens Hospital, The Medical Center, The zoo, Rice University, Hermann Mark, the Museum District, Houston Community College, St Joseph Hospital, Grey Hound, Main Street Square and Other downtown Destinations, Minute Maid Park, The toyota Center, Market Square, University of Houston Downtown, South Texas College of Law, Theater District.

The Fredricksburg Road route has low ridership, and not many attractions along the route, so it is hard getting it off the ground.

I see Austin Rail to RR as economically sound, I don't see the same for Austin heading south.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Obama plan boosts S.A.-Austin commuter rail (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/Obama_plan_boosts_SA-Austin_commuter_rail.html - broken link)

Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Obama plan boosts S.A.-Austin commuter rail (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/Obama_plan_boosts_SA-Austin_commuter_rail.html - broken link)
Obama has many plans. (btw, one of my few good memories in SA is meeting Obama there) but the bulk of them remain only plans or go threw as watered down nonsense.

hmmmm, it looks like the SA-Austin rail has been in the works for 20 years now and it still does not look anywhere closer to being accomplished
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.