Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But that's precisely the problem:

Dialect maps get too detailed and ignore the basic fact of population movement, etc.

Again, we're 'one yard' outside the Coastal Plain, only sub-in lingusitics for geology.

Remember Mr Doyle's character?

Even he couldn't place an accent down to a specific locale; needed a buffer of ( I believe) 30 miles.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Excellent map, thank you, I just bookmarked it for the next time this debate comes up, as it does at least twice a year.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
^you didn't respond to the evidence i posted, but i'll take that as a concession. i stand by my suggestion that the person you met in st. louis who said "y'all" was not a st. louis native. i have an ear for linguistics and i just don't hear it in st. louis. 50 miles out, yes, but not in the city. the people i've encountered here with a southern dialect usually come from rural missouri or illinois and happen to work in metro st. louis.
No, I just pointed out that scholars who get $$ to study this stuff (linguistics) reach differing conclusions, because speech patterns follow gaussian distributions for populations, and therefore are NOT linear, as you seem to think.

And, of course, intermarriage never takes place between residents of STL and the 'rural areas', and there is NEVER any population movement between the areas.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Excellent map, thank you, I just bookmarked it for the next time this debate comes up, as it does at least twice a year.
So we are gonna play, 'My map's better than your map'.

Okay, so go tell the researchers who generated the 'inferior' map that they are wrong.

Because you don't like 'their' map.

And, IF you truly believe that you can narrow an accent down to such a tiny geographic range, then please contact my former employers.

They'd love to test your skills in the real world.

I'm sure of that.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM

But as long as we've solved (with 100% definition, down to the square hectare) the dialect thing, enlighten me on the 'Missouri- Missourah.' thing, por favor:

I can't remember what the SE Mo. folks said, but my co-worker (from Branson) who has a definite Upland Southern Drawl says 'Missouri.'

Is that common?

Or a statistical outlier?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
No, I just pointed out that scholars who get $$ to study this stuff (linguistics) reach differing conclusions, because speech patterns follow gaussian distributions for populations, and therefore are NOT linear, as you seem to think.

And, of course, intermarriage never takes place between residents of STL and the 'rural areas', and there is NEVER any population movement between the areas.
There is a migration pattern map somewhere around here, I am going to try and find and post it.
I was amazed at how little in or outward migration there was in Ste Genevieve County over the past decade.
And it would also help explain the speech pattern I am speaking of.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
I've never understood Joyce Meyer's accent. I have always thought that she was Southern, so I was shocked when I found out she's from St. Louis. Is this accent common in Stl? Or is she just trying to sound Southern?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA0g8bk-ygQ

Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There is a migration pattern map somewhere around here, I am going to try and find and post it.
I was amazed at how little in or outward migration there was in Ste Genevieve County over the past decade.
And it would also help explain the speech pattern I am speaking of.
Decade's a pretty short timeframe.

I know of only one case (over 30 years) that was solved using a linguistic/dialect as the definitive evidence, and that was only because the subject said the word 'Dip' (for woman) whilst being (unknowingly)recorded.

And that narrowed it down to a specific (as in regional- think 100 sq. miles) location, which pointed at one subject.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've never understood Joyce Meyer's accent. I have always thought that she was Southern, so I was shocked when I found out she's from St. Louis. Is this accent common in Stl? Or is she just trying to sound Southern?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA0g8bk-ygQ
this is not a st. louis accent. she exaggerates to pander to her base. also, meyer's parents were from the south.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:05 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
But as long as we've solved (with 100% definition, down to the square hectare) the dialect thing, enlighten me on the 'Missouri- Missourah.' thing, por favor:

I can't remember what the SE Mo. folks said, but my co-worker (from Branson) who has a definite Upland Southern Drawl says 'Missouri.'

Is that common?

Or a statistical outlier?
GeechieNorth, I really don't have a dog in this fight as concerns the main topic of the thread. That is, a definition of Midwest (or Missiouri speech! LOL) one way or another (so long as the former does not include Texas! LOL). And I agree with you that it is impossible to pin linguistic boundaries down to a square mile, even a hundred! Thus, maps and even labels will vary sometime.

However, I do think the one slengle furnished does a very good job of deliniating major speech regions. And yes, they will follow general settlement patterns. That only makes sense. Too, the one I furnished was very detailed and contained some of the qualifiers you yourself mentioned (that is, mix within certain larger areas). And one reason to at least put a lot of credibility into them, is that most of those produced by other professional linguists do pretty much DO match up with the boader lines of the two mentioned above.

But yes, like regional boundaries themselves, linguistic regions are never going to completely match up. About the best one can do in putting "faith" as to "which is more accurate" is finding general patterns and data and shared conclusions as to why they are drawn the way they are. I hope that makes sense!

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-19-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.