Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Please show me where she speaks of their accents, dialects, or anything of the sort?
Methinks her subjects are not the only ones having perception problems with reading materials.
This is about grammar and punctuation, not accents.
Epic fail, lol
What does 'sounded' mean to you?

"In my own research, I asked several hundred MU students, plus dozens of Clinton residents (thanks, Mom and Dad!), to read a passage which contained an instance of punctual 'whenever' (as well as a few other random double negatives, "ain't"s, etc.) and then to mark 'anything within [the passage] that sounded "grammatically incorrect' (or even just 'strange,' but - long story short - that was coded as a different category). As I predicted, there was a statistically significant correlation between participants' NOT finding punctual 'whenever' to be "grammatically incorrect" and their hailing from what I call the 'northern South' - basically, Appalachia, southern OH, IN, and IL, and essentially all of Missouri. The reverse was also true - all the Northerners (yes, every single one, IIRC) found punctual 'whenever' to be "grammatically incorrect" (with a couple "stranges" thrown in for good measure - on more than one of these, I saw anecdotal marginal comments like, "This sounds weird to me, since I never heard anyone say it in Youngstown [Ohio], but I hear it occasionally from locals in Columbia").

I think stl4man has a type of Southern accent and is embarrassed about it. You shouldn't be. Regional dialects are disappearing - I consider that to be something of a tragedy, actually." (From 'Alicia Bradley', a linguist).

Can't get away from a Linguist and her findings.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...uthern-14.html

"To me the South starts below Capre Girardeau; the culture, the accent, and the attitude start to change from Midwestern to Southern. Although, rural areas all over the Southern half of MO feel somewhat Southern.

YouTube - Meth: A County In Crisis 05/05
This documentary is from Franklin County outside of St. Louis, it's pretty far North but many of the people interviewed have Southern-lite accents. The man in the beginning of the clip would fit right in here in TN."

"She sounds like a typical Missourian to me, not really heavy on the Southern accent at all. I think Missouri is Southern influenced, but having lived in both the Kansas City area, the St. Joseph area, as far north as Maryville, as well as St. Louis, Freeman, and now Rolla. There is such a difference in each region on the influence. St. Louis has more eastern influence then any of the other cities I have lived in (I also lived at one time in Owosso, MI). Kansas City I would say is more true Midwestern. Rolla has some of the Southern influence, in fact when we first moved down here, we had a neighbor came over, and darn if I couldn't understand half of what he was saying, after a few months could understand him without a problem. Food also varies depending on the part of Missouri. St. Louis bar-b-q is much different then Kansas City's, and you won't hear about a restaurant in Kansas City serving Toasted Ravioli generally, that is a St. Louis thing. I think the truly wonderful thing about Missouri is you can travel a couple of hours and come across a whole different cultural feel, we have it all, Southern influence, Northern influence, the true Midwestern feel, as well as the Eastern influence...We are not Southern, Northern, or Eastern.. we are Missourians."

An Missouri resident describing the accent of one Joyce Meyers.

"Joyce Meyer sounds like some Missourians I've heard. She has a little bit of a southern drawl, but not that bad, not like Arkansas anyway."

Another Missouri resident (note the term 'bad' applied to the 'Arkansas drawl'). Which leads me to think this is a cultural attitude on the part of some. And that- along with the 'Kentucky' comment (negative) , noted earlier probably explains the motivation as to emotion here.

This is not a big deal; it is simply about how people talk, and as the Linguist whose research I quote, notes: 'Regional accents are dying.'

And I agree, that is sad. Coming from an area where the native accent is right next to the Passenger Pigeon and Carolina Parakeet, I wish you could hear native speakers of the Charleston Brogue- besides on a Dick Reeves's record that's over 50 years old.

Anyway,

Thank you all for a learning opportunity.

I will remember that even seemingly bland subjects can bring out all kinds of emotions in some.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-25-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
not sure what you posted here that others didn't already recognize. you still have a problem admitting that st. louis is more northern in linguistic and cultural influence than southern. you are dense though, and you won't ever acknowledge it.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Probably picked-up that habit in either NYC or Missouri.
Ok, I am only gonna feed the troll this one time.
How does a latina pick up a Missouri accent when she has never been there?
Explain that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
What does 'sounded' mean to you?

"In my own research, I asked several hundred MU students, plus dozens of Clinton residents (thanks, Mom and Dad!), to read a passage which contained an instance of punctual 'whenever' (as well as a few other random double negatives, "ain't"s, etc.) and then to mark 'anything within [the passage] that sounded "grammatically incorrect' (or even just 'strange,' but - long story short - that was coded as a different category). As I predicted, there was a statistically significant correlation between participants' NOT finding punctual 'whenever' to be "grammatically incorrect" and their hailing from what I call the 'northern South' - basically, Appalachia, southern OH, IN, and IL, and essentially all of Missouri. The reverse was also true - all the Northerners (yes, every single one, IIRC) found punctual 'whenever' to be "grammatically incorrect" (with a couple "stranges" thrown in for good measure - on more than one of these, I saw anecdotal marginal comments like, "This sounds weird to me, since I never heard anyone say it in Youngstown [Ohio], but I hear it occasionally from locals in Columbia").

I think stl4man has a type of Southern accent and is embarrassed about it. You shouldn't be. Regional dialects are disappearing - I consider that to be something of a tragedy, actually." (From 'Alicia Bradley', a linguist).

Can't get away from a Linguist and her findings.
Why cant you comprehend that Alicia Bradley was having the subjects read something for grammar, punctuation, and idiom?
Slengel is correct, you do seem to be a bit on the dense side.
Same old tired crap that has already been disproved.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

24 posts, read 54,434 times
Aw, come on guys, geeeeeeeeze! Give MO a break -- that's so totally a Midwestern state! St. Louis isn't a southern city.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwoodgirl View Post
Aw, come on guys, geeeeeeeeze! Give MO a break -- that's so totally a Midwestern state! St. Louis isn't a southern city.
My belief is that anyone that thinks STL is southern hasnt really spent any time in the real South!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
My belief is that anyone that thinks STL is southern hasnt really spent any time in the real South!
Louisville is fairly southern and isn't that much further south in latitude than St. Louis. The degree of Appalachian influence has surprised me so far as well as some of the Rust Belt charcteristics of the Louisville metro area.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Louisville is fairly southern and isn't that much further south in latitude than St. Louis. The degree of Appalachian influence has surprised me so far as well as some of the Rust Belt charcteristics of the Louisville metro area.
I lived in Louisville for 5 years, no comparison at all to STL in terms of Midwesterness (is that a word, lol).

Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
I lived in Louisville for 5 years, no comparison at all to STL in terms of Midwesterness (is that a word, lol).
It is the South, Appalachia, and lower Midwest somewhat blended together. Obviously, the southern cultural traits overwhelm the other two influences. However, the factory and foundry economy of the Ohio Valley gives off a more industrial manufacturing Midwestern built environment.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
That entire string of states from Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky and Missouri are best defined as Border States separating the North From the South with elements of both cultures. Except for Delaware and Parts of Maryland, these states also have a heavy bubba culture in their rural areas. (Delaware and Coastal Maryland appear to be more New England like)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.