Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 AM

133 posts, read 412,144 times

Advertisements

Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, & Wisconsin = The Great lakes Region.

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, The Dakotas, Kansas, & Missouri = Midwest.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttz View Post
Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, & Wisconsin = The Great lakes Region.

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, The Dakotas, Kansas, & Missouri = Midwest.

Minnesota has more Great Lakes shoreline than either Illinois or Indiana.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM

133 posts, read 412,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post

Minnesota has more Great Lakes shoreline than either Illinois or Indiana.
Ooops!

I forgot about Lake Superior.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
*hint*
Its a musical reference....
Missing it.

If it is a county song I will completely miss it.
I know of the song "skin of my yellow country teeth" But most Rednecks and Crackers probably have not heard of the band "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah"

I also know of Rednecks, white socks and blue ribbon beer. I also know the words to the "rodeo song"

Know of the band GreenDay.

Sorry totally missing the "greenteeth" reference

Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Missing it.

If it is a county song I will completely miss it.
I know of the song "skin of my yellow country teeth" But most Rednecks and Crackers probably have not heard of the band "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah"

I also know of Rednecks, white socks and blue ribbon beer. I also know the words to the "rodeo song"

Know of the band GreenDay.

Sorry totally missing the "greenteeth" reference
Seriously?
How can anyone that loves music not know this song?
You strike me as a lover of music, hmmmmmm..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMN7fGZW_BY

Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Seriously?
How can anyone that loves music not know this song?
You strike me as a lover of music, hmmmmmm..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMN7fGZW_BY
Love that song. Haven't heard it in ages (although it is in my music collection) but never made the connection.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
That entire string of states from Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky and Missouri are best defined as Border States separating the North From the South with elements of both cultures. Except for Delaware and Parts of Maryland, these states also have a heavy bubba culture in their rural areas. (Delaware and Coastal Maryland appear to be more New England like)
Well if you go by the civil war term, Missouri was the heavilist southern of the border states then. Kentuckys government was pro union except for the governor, and even their governor was quite neutral and didn't take any sides. Meanwhile Missouri's governor, lt governor, and most of it's elected state office holders were mostly pro secession. They did pass a secession ordinance in Neosho, but Lincoln didn't count it because of the puppet government installed. If not for our elected officials getting evicted from office, Missouri would most likely be called an official Confederate state today by the history books. After Camp Jackson MO was likely within 30 days from seceeding Claiborne Jackson reported to Jefferson Davis, but the Union captured St. Louis and chased our law makers out. Even though the constitutional convention earlier rejected secession, with enough arm twisting they probably finally would have approved it. A lot of those conditional unionst became enraged after camp jackson and the Union invasion.

Remember Sterling Price was a Unionist who voted against secession, however after Camp Jackson that quickly changed and he too became a secessionist.

So going by civil war time border state MO was the most Confederate of them all and MO also had a heavier presence of a southern culture back them compared to today.

Missouri culturally fits the present day border state status. Northern MO midwestern, then you hit Missouri south of the MO river is transition zone from Midwest to southern/upper South, and once you hit Cape Girardeau and south then you're in Dixie. Same as the Ozarks once your within about 50 miles from the AR border you're in Dixie. We post about this before in the Mo forum but 50 percent of MO is midwester, while 25 percent is transition with a mix of midwest and southern/upland south, whatever, and the last 25 percent of the state can be considered Dixie.

In the Ozarks areas just north of US 60 on south is considered fully southern which is usually 40- 50 miles from AR in most places. It follows a similar path to the Ohio River some say.

However the three most southern bootheel counties are more southern than anywhere in KY. They're delta style, northern Mississippi, Eastern AR kind of southish. Very southern and southern draw. However the entire state of Missouri isn't truely midwestern. Southeast MO, and the MO Ozarks geographically are located more south than most areas of the midwest.

Missouri is much more southern than Maryland.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Well if you go by the civil war term, Missouri was the heavilist southern of the border states then. Kentuckys government was pro union except for the governor, and even their governor was quite neutral and didn't take any sides. Meanwhile Missouri's governor, lt governor, and most of it's elected state office holders were mostly pro secession. They did pass a secession ordinance in Neosho, but Lincoln didn't count it because of the puppet government installed. If not for our elected officials getting evicted from office, Missouri would most likely be called an official Confederate state today by the history books. After Camp Jackson MO was likely within 30 days from seceeding Claiborne Jackson reported to Jefferson Davis, but the Union captured St. Louis and chased our law makers out. Even though the constitutional convention earlier rejected secession, with enough arm twisting they probably finally would have approved it. A lot of those conditional unionst became enraged after camp jackson and the Union invasion.

Remember Sterling Price was a Unionist who voted against secession, however after Camp Jackson that quickly changed and he too became a secessionist.

So going by civil war time border state MO was the most Confederate of them all and MO also had a heavier presence of a southern culture back them compared to today.

Missouri culturally fits the present day border state status. Northern MO midwestern, then you hit Missouri south of the MO river is transition zone from Midwest to southern/upper South, and once you hit Cape Girardeau and south then you're in Dixie. Same as the Ozarks once your within about 50 miles from the AR border you're in Dixie. We post about this before in the Mo forum but 50 percent of MO is midwester, while 25 percent is transition with a mix of midwest and southern/upland south, whatever, and the last 25 percent of the state can be considered Dixie.

In the Ozarks areas just north of US 60 on south is considered fully southern which is usually 40- 50 miles from AR in most places. It follows a similar path to the Ohio River some say.

However the three most southern bootheel counties are more southern than anywhere in KY. They're delta style, northern Mississippi, Eastern AR kind of southish. Very southern and southern draw. However the entire state of Missouri isn't truely midwestern. Southeast MO, and the MO Ozarks geographically are located more south than most areas of the midwest.

Missouri is much more southern than Maryland.
A border state status is 50-50, and Missouri by today's standards is far from evenly split. It's overall Midwestern with Southern influences from the definition you use. But regardless, I agree with your boundaries, as I've said before. Overall, the Mississippi River separates the Western Midwest from the Eastern Midwest, although St. Louis, despite being west of the Mississippi, shares more in common with the Great Lakes cities. Maryland has largely lost most of its Southern characteristics, to a greater degree than Missouri mainly because of the presence of Washington, D.C. The Census Bureau basically has the Midwest correct in my opinion. To get the Northeast and South correct it should put Maryland and Delaware in the Northeast. As far as Maryland goes, in the Civil War it was much perhaps the most heavily southern leaning. Lincoln literally had to seize control of the state to keep it from seceding. As far as the entire state goes, Missouri isn't the only exception. Not all of the Great Plains states, and not all of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio can be considered truly Midwestern either. But as a whole they can be called majority Midwestern.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
A border state status is 50-50, and Missouri by today's standards is far from evenly split. It's overall Midwestern with Southern influences from the definition you use. But regardless, I agree with your boundaries, as I've said before. Overall, the Mississippi River separates the Western Midwest from the Eastern Midwest, although St. Louis, despite being west of the Mississippi, shares more in common with the Great Lakes cities. Maryland has largely lost most of its Southern characteristics, to a greater degree than Missouri mainly because of the presence of Washington, D.C. The Census Bureau basically has the Midwest correct in my opinion. To get the Northeast and South correct it should put Maryland and Delaware in the Northeast. As far as Maryland goes, in the Civil War it was much perhaps the most heavily southern leaning. Lincoln literally had to seize control of the state to keep it from seceding. As far as the entire state goes, Missouri isn't the only exception. Not all of the Great Plains states, and not all of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio can be considered truly Midwestern either. But as a whole they can be called majority Midwestern.
One point I did make in an earlier thread pertaining to rural MO was with regard to population densities. VERY FEW people live in the rural Midwest counties in northern MO compared to the rural upland South counties in southern MO. In terms of the total percentage of the population in rural MO this weights the balance more in line with the South with STL and KC giving the state about a 50/50 split overall.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One point I did make in an earlier thread pertaining to rural MO was with regard to population densities. VERY FEW people live in the rural Midwest counties in northern MO compared to the rural upland South counties in southern MO. In terms of the total percentage of the population in rural MO this weights the balance more in line with the South with STL and KC giving the state about a 50/50 split overall.
Except there's one problem you're forgetting. Southern Missouri is not 100% Southern, nor is it decidely Southern, as onegoal has wisely pointed out. The only parts I would call truly southern are the parts that stick into OK, AR, KY, and TN. My family is from Southwest Missouri, and most people from there don't identify as Southern, at least when they were growing up. Who said population is defined by geography anyway? The so-called "Upland South" extends into Pennsylvania and Ohio, and doesn't coincide in many cases with cultural boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.