Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
It's a well-known fact that most of the South is not majority German. Your Your grandfather may have been an exception, but Charleston is of historically English settlement. Also, by that map's definition, much of Illinois and Indiana can't be considered Midwestern either. Almost 50% of Indiana and Missouri. Here is a better dialect map. That classifies regions using multiple phrases, not just one. Little Dixie's name is historic. It has no meaning today.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...ap/NatMap2.GIF
I thought Charleston SC had a lot of French Influence?

The blue line in southern MO is too far south. By about 50 miles.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Actually Indiana was one of the biggest Klan states. My mom is in her 60s so she lived thru the civil rights bs that went on and said when she was small living Stl stl her and my grandma had to ride the bus because my grandma never drived. She said the blacks would sit in the back when a white person got on. My mom was small and couldn't figure it out until my grandma told her.

In MO whites by law were not allowed to marry blacks. Also blacks couldnt adopt white babies.

It's ironic but school segregation was mandated in the constitution in Missouri until 1976. Of course none of the districts followed it because of the Supreme Court decision.

when it was put on the ballot to repeal it in 1976, 42 percent of Missourian's voted to keep the school segregation in the constiution. So a lot of people in MO at the time still thought it was a good idea.

btw the Freedom riders took a trip in Missouri too. When they got to Scott County is when the problems started. They went into the white waiting area at a bus station in Sikeston, and the Sheriff had a bunch of them arrested for disorderly conduct.

School segregation for the most part was smooth in MO, OK, KY and WV, MD and even TX. The larger resistance was in states like GA, SC, MS, AL, and AR.

Most don't know it but the question of school segregation actually started in the 1930s at Mizzou when a black guy wanted to get into the law school and was denied. The MO Supreme Court ruled that Mizzou has the right to deny, but the state had to supply seperate but equal school. I recall the MO lawmakers set up a special funding for such schools, but the way the law was written there was no fund for the money to go into.

School desegregation wasn't some bloodshed, and war like the liberals made it out to be. For the most part it went smooth in the upper south states. It was a few deep south states were there was more conflict.
I went to grade school in STL in the 60s, it was never segregated.
Neither was the school where my sister attended high school in STL in the 60s.
For that matter, the schools in Poplar Bluff werent segregated either, nor the outlying schools in the rural districts, and I am speaking of the 60s again.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Lived in the midwest practically my whole life and I can tell the differences between what is traditional midwest and what is not midwest.
So have I, and I happen to know that the Midwest isn't entirely defined by the Great Lakes or by Chicago, or even by flat farmland. The Midwest is just as varied as the South. The South is not limited to the 11 Confederate states that seceded. And in fact, the Western Midwest (KS, NE, SD, ND) is different from the Upper Midwest (MN, WI, MI), which is different from the Central Midwest (IA, northern illinois, northern indiana) which is different from the Lower Midwest (rest of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri). Just like the Upper South (VA, KY, and WV) is different from the mid-South (NC, TN, AR), Deep South (LA, AL, MS, GA, SC, FL although that's kind of carribean south too) and Western South (OK, TX). So to say one place in the Midwest speaks for all is truly ridiculous. Oklahoma has never been considered Midwestern. It is a culturally southern state in the Great Plains. Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota are culturally Midwestern. You're really quick to classify things instead of looking at the broader picture. Other than topography, Oklahoma has nothing in common with its neighbors to the north.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I only pay attention to the phonological atlas. That is still the rough pattern used in most cases to define dialect today. Look it up on google and you will find that roughly all dialect maps follow the line of the phonological atlas.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Maybe, don't know there. Either way, Germans were not the dominant people of Charleston.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The Dakotas are Midwestern; they're just the Plains portion of the Midwest..

No part of Pennsylvania belongs to the Midwest, and ALL of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota belong to the Midwest.
Most of Missouri as well, not part of it.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:

The French tried, and failed, to found a settlement on Parris Island.
Charleston was founded by the English.
Charleston History
And no, that blue line on the map is right where its supposed to be.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Why? what are you basing your information?
Western PA has a lot of ties to the MIDWEST

ND SD KS NE OKLAHOMA SHOULD BE OUTSIDE OF THE MIDWEST
AND JUST BE PLAINS STATES

I can justify Michigan because of social ties along with Wisconsin and Minnesota
So far, you've had yet to give any real reasons for your case yourself. Btw, Oklahoma is already considered outside of the midwest. And it is not just a plains state. It culturally identifies with the south, as do its residents. Try telling the residents of all those states what they are and aren't because you say so.The University of North Carolina did a pretty good job through surveys. The simple truth of the matter is that Western Pennsylvania and Western New York are influenced by both the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I went to grade school in STL in the 60s, it was never segregated.
Neither was the school where my sister attended high school in STL in the 60s.
For that matter, the schools in Poplar Bluff werent segregated either, nor the outlying schools in the rural districts, and I am speaking of the 60s again.
Stl desegregated in the 1950s when the Supreme Court order schools too.

I do recall in the 60s in the bootheel there was some districts acting slow on desegregation.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I only pay attention to the phonological atlas. That is still the rough pattern used in most cases to define dialect today. Look it up on google and you will find that roughly all dialect maps follow the line of the phonological atlas.
Then thats more accurate. Only area is they dont have scott county covered on that map. SO maybe 15 miles north on that area. Otherwise its okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.